dobok condition

TKDHermit

Green Belt
Reaction score
any tips on how to maintain the whiteness of a new dobok, especially on the butt part of the pants?

dancingalone

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Wash uniforms immediately after usage; don't let them sit inside your bag for hours and hours. Presoak in warm water with a good quality detergent like Tide along with nonchlorine bleach. After washing, air dry in full sun if possible.

Aside from the laundry instructions, I've noticed less yellowing of my uniforms where I began to eat more veggies & grains and less meat. I guess there are less toxins processed by my body with the change in diet.

OP
T

TKDHermit

Green Belt
Reaction score
but i come back late after training [coz its at night] so theres no time to wash it until the next day. i leave it in an aircon room throughout the night though. =\

dancingalone

Grandmaster
Reaction score
The chemicals secreted through your sweat WILL yellow your white uniforms. Logically it makes sense to remove them as quickly as possible to minimize staining. If you have to wait a while, that's of course your business.

OP
T

TKDHermit

Green Belt
Reaction score
so does any1 here wash their uniforms right after they get back home from training? just curious.

Live True

Brown Belt
Reaction score
I would not recommend this frequently, but it's easier on the material than frequent bleaching....After washing, spray with lemon juice and then dry uniform in the sun. This will do wonders for stains and yellowing. It can break down fibers over time, but it's less damaging than bleach. It's the combination of lemon juice and sunlight that does the work.

granfire

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
well, you can lay out damp uniforms out on the grass in the sun. (that's how the old people did it, up until not too long ago)

Chlorine actually yellows mixed fibers.

have a bottle of spray and wash/shout handy.

When I wash whites (like my towels) I do add about a cup of bleach in the wash, together with baking soda and white vinegar and add white vinegar instead of laundry softener. My towels are a lot less dingey then what they used to be (water also plays a factor in how your whites look after wash)

But the single biggest thing that is also not harmfull to your wash is white vinegar in the rinse cycle.

Bill Mattocks

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
The things you learn in the military...sigh. How to cook, how to sew, how to iron, and how to wash clothes. Oh well, they turned out to be useful skills in the end.

http://www.mrsstewart.com/

Gets the yellow out of whites every time. A very small amount is enough. Follow instructions. Works like a champ. Cheap, too.

KELLYG

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
I have used white vinegar directly on areas that stain, like a pre wash, with success.

d1jinx

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
it may not be easy or neccassary for newbies, but us lifelongers have a few uniforms. Alot for me actually. I could wear one a day all week, and maybe a few days the next if i broke out some older ones. Basically, they last longer because I wear them less frequently.

Think of it this way... if you worked out at a gym... you wouldnt wear the same shorts and tshirt everyday.... so go ahead and get an extra uniform or 2 and rotate them. In the end, you'll spend the money over time anyway.

I know thats not the answer you wanted to hear, but its another option that requires less effort. Washing your uniform everyday is impractical if you work out everyday. The constant washing is gonna wear it out anyway, so just get another and rotate.

If you truly enjoy TKD... then whats a few more bucks for another uniform.

d1jinx

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
The things you learn in the military...sigh. How to cook, how to sew, how to iron, and how to wash clothes. Oh well, they turned out to be useful skills in the end.

TRUE TRUE TRUE.... I can't believe my little brother (23) didnt know how to iron. I looked at him like he was an idiot (and let him know it too) when he was trying to iron his pants.... I guess I take for granted all the valuable things i learned from Uncle Sam.

granfire

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score

http://www.mrsstewart.com/

Gets the yellow out of whites every time. A very small amount is enough. Follow instructions. Works like a champ. Cheap, too.

Awsome, too bad it's mail order these days.

dortiz

Black Belt
Reaction score
"so does any1 here wash their uniforms right after they get back home from training? just curious. '

I do. Its a habit now. I also get home about 10:45 from class.

Dont do a full wash though. Just the uniform on a quick cycle and cold water only. Toss it over the railing and its dry by morning.

Also as mentioned spend the money on the second uniform and cycle them.

Dave O.

dancingalone

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Or you could switch to black uniforms for daily workouts and save the whites for grading or for tournaments.

I know, I know. Heresy. :)

dancingalone

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Yeah, but a faded black gi looks good. A stained, yellowing white gi looks disgusting.

sfs982000

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I do wash my uniform after every workout, but I have a spare one that I use on my "off class" days to train in at home or at the gym on base. Since we kind of on the subject any tips on how to get the smell out of an uniform. My uniform smells fine coming out of the wash, but five minutes after I throw it on and start warming up in class it's smelling pretty funky. Of course getting a new dobok is always an option, but my current one is physically still in decent enough shape to be a practice one other than the foul aroma coming off it. And before anyone suggests it, I do shower, with soap even. :)

dancingalone

Grandmaster
Reaction score
My uniform smells fine coming out of the wash, but five minutes after I throw it on and start warming up in class it's smelling pretty funky. Of course getting a new dobok is always an option, but my current one is physically still in decent enough shape to be a practice one other than the foul aroma coming off it. And before anyone suggests it, I do shower, with soap even. :)

Febreze is helpful in these situations. In the old days before Febreze, I knew people who would boil their uniforms with a box of baking soda mixed into the water. You basically need a alkaloid compound to neutralize the scent.

ATC

Senior Master
Reaction score
I have 2 doboks (well more but I only like the 2 I use) and switch between the two each day. However when I get home I just toss the one I use that day on the floor and it somehow ends up pressed and hanging in my closet the next day. Magic I guess.:shrug: