Blocking advice (sparring)

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Hi guys,

After our tournament this weekend I came home with some pretty sore hands/wrists (& a silver medal! :D) from blocking kicks in my sparring matches (WTF Olympic style).

My instructor has been teaching me to fight with my hands in front, and lower (similar to how we see the Olympic guys do it). I thought I was very successful at blocking/deflecting/absorbing kicks from my opponents, but my hands and wrists took a bit of a beating.

I understand this may be partially due to conditioning (lack of), and my hands may just need to toughen up, but can you give me any advice? (This is only my 2nd tournament)

Watching the video, I had my hands open most of the time, and I'm sure this is why they are sore now. Do I need to block with a clenched fist, or just toughen up?

Thanks in advance!

dancingalone

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Watching the video, I had my hands open most of the time, and I'm sure this is why they are sore now. Do I need to block with a clenched fist, or just toughen up?

Clinching your fists creates tension in your forearm muscles. This can strengthen your blocks but also puts them in position to absorb more force. At this point of my training, I prefer avoiding footwork and soft, redirecting blocks, but sure clinching your fists in combination with a solid stance is a method for standing your ground in combat.

granfire

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
when I first started sparring I constantly had sore wrists after sparring.

We spar with our hands up and are expected to use circular motions to block.
I seemed to more stab at an attack rather than swipe...made for a sore few month till I got better.

Also having open hands might open you up to injure your fingers so that's a point I'd consider.

KELLYG

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Hands open while sparing not good. I had a kid break my finger for me while my hands were open. Closed hands also help keep ever thing tight.

ATC

Senior Master
Reaction score
Yes, hand closed. Keep them open and soon you will find out why not to keep them open. Broken fingers hurt. Over time you will build up a tollerance.

Also you don't have to block every attack. Sometime just step in and let the kick go past you. Or slide back and let the kick miss. But be ready to counter after you do or another kick will be coming.

TX_BB

Purple Belt
Reaction score
I am assuming that you are early in your training. Given your inexperience and lack of conditioning your probably OK. For any type of fighting or sparring I normally go down my favorites list:
Strike than wait to get hit.
Move instead of get hit.
Parry instead of block
Block when I don't have the choice.
(by the way Bruce Lee was much more elegant)

The probable reason your instructor teaches the leading hands style, this gives a tactical advantage which allows you to parry the kick in the beginning of the motion. Generally it will lead you to blocking the meat of the leg versus the bone.

OP

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
I am assuming that you are early in your training. Given your inexperience and lack of conditioning your probably OK. For any type of fighting or sparring I normally go down my favorites list:
Strike than wait to get hit.
Move instead of get hit.
Parry instead of block
Block when I don't have the choice.
(by the way Bruce Lee was much more elegant)

The probable reason your instructor teaches the leading hands style, this gives a tactical advantage which allows you to parry the kick in the beginning of the motion. Generally it will lead you to blocking the meat of the leg versus the bone.

I am a yellow belt, yes, quite early in training.
Limited experience in sparring, and tournament sparring won't happen on a regular basis. Sparring in class isn't going to be as intense as that at a tournament, given the students available to spar with, and the size of our class.

I like the priority list.

Yes, our instructor has taught that I should smother the kick at the thigh when close enough, and that was to be done with an open hand. Misinterpretation or misunderstanding on my part, or possibly just poor execution?

Thanks for the input. I'm learning a lot here.

d1jinx

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
bruises after a tournament is gonna be common. They come with the game.
Everyone had good ideas and suggestions. choose whats best for you.
Look into getting some good forearm pads.
Also try "avoiding" kicks and clashes. Sure this isn't always possible, but step back or to the side if you see a kick coming. Dont run into it full on or attempt to block and take the brunt of the kick.
It will get better over time. When I first began training, my body screamed.... but then it toughens up and things dont hurt as much. Stick with it and use whats best for you.

TX_BB

Purple Belt
Reaction score

Next time have one or more people record your fight for analysis. Please, let your coach have 1st crack at it. If you feel like you want everybody to jump in post it on You tube and place a link here and we will have fun.

msmitht

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
I teach my students to block only when movement and footwork have failed. Keep fist closed. You can get a wtf style glove for wrist/hand support. Try not blocking every kick. Move instead.

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score

Next time have one or more people record your fight for analysis. Please, let your coach have 1st crack at it. If you feel like you want everybody to jump in post it on You tube and place a link here and we will have fun.

Good advise, too bad so many do not follow this. It would help in training, but then again a coach and instructor can only do what a player and there family will do.

ATC

Senior Master
Reaction score

I thought this was a given. We require all of our students to have someone tape there fights. After each tournament the fights must be turned into the coaching staff for review.

Just4Kicks

Green Belt
Reaction score
I can't stress how important keeping your fists clenched is, I have two fat finger joints on my left hand as proof of it! They don't need to be in a tight grip either, just so long as your fingers are out of harm's way.

I always hate watching my fights on video afterward, but I do anyway. You can see your own mistakes and improve for the next go around the ring.

Sparring in class doesn't have the same fight or flight response, but it is what you and your partner make of it. If you don't have the right mindset, then you are just going through the motions which won't allow you to improve. You don't have to send your opponent through the ceiling to make the match worthwhile, controlled kicks, fast footwork and snappy kicks are enough. Train seriously so you can fight seriously. That's my philosophy.

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I thought this was a given. We require all of our students to have someone tape there fights. After each tournament the fights must be turned into the coaching staff for review.

I ask but sometimes certain parents do not make it happen. I have a whole set for my serious people but then again alot of people who sya they are serious are simply weekend warriors.

ATC

Senior Master
Reaction score
I ask but sometimes certain parents do not make it happen. I have a whole set for my serious people but then again alot of people who sya they are serious are simply weekend warriors.
Yes. That is why we started what we call the competition team. Only members that we pick can be on it and it is not a part of any regular classes. When we pick you, the parents have to be on board as well. We even have training sessions for the parents on how to hold targets for each techniques so the kids can work at home too. We even have partents rotate as warm up coaches at various tournaments so we coaches can only worry about coaching. This way everyone one feels important and they are, and everyone does what is expected. It has really helped our team become more successful. The kids have really improved because of it.

Maybe you can use some of this to help with your competition members.

granfire

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Yes. That is why we started what we call the competition team. Only members that we pick can be on it and it is not a part of any regular classes. When we pick you, the parents have to be on board as well. We even have training sessions for the parents on how to hold targets for each techniques so the kids can work at home too. We even have partents rotate as warm up coaches at various tournaments so we coaches can only worry about coaching. This way everyone one feels important and they are, and everyone does what is expected. It has really helped our team become more successful. The kids have really improved because of it.

Maybe you can use some of this to help with your competition members.

Not to mention the tips you gave in your thread about the photo montage a parent made.

On out tournaments there is a lot of action though, logistically not almway possible to get taped.

One lady went through the trouble making duplicates of the footage she took, but the CD didn't work. sigh.

ATC

Senior Master
Reaction score
Not to mention the tips you gave in your thread about the photo montage a parent made.

On out tournaments there is a lot of action though, logistically not almway possible to get taped.

One lady went through the trouble making duplicates of the footage she took, but the CD didn't work. sigh.
If you have too many performing at any one time then I can be hard. The one issue we still have is that some parents have 2 kids going at the same time. If another parents kid or young adult is not doing anything they can help out, but this is not always the case.

I have two of my own that are 2 years apart but since they are boy and girl they always end up going up at the same time. Fighting and forms. I am on the mat coaching so my wife can only get one or the other. So I sometimes don't even get to see them in competition as I may be coaching someone else and then one may not get taped either. This is really frustrating.

We also have a set of twins that compete. Now this is the funny part. They are the same rank 2rd kup, same age (twins), same weight, same gender. Now here is the strange part. Sometimes they end up in different brackets. Not sure how or why but it is ok with us as we hate when they have to go againt one another. Now USAT event they are always togeather. Kind of a bummer when they match up cause they can match each other in the dojang for free. We always try and find ways to get one in a different bracket. But the filming is the same issue. One gets filmed and one does not.

zDom

Senior Master
Reaction score
Leg bones are bigger than arm bones, so blocking is apt to be a bit painful even under the best of circumstances. Beats getting kicked in the ribs or head, though :)

When you can not avoid or parry, one thing you can do to mitigate the shock to your arms is by making sure you are actively blocking instead of passively blocking.

That is to say, STRIKE the incoming kick or punch with your block rather than just waiting for the incoming strike to hit your block.

xfighter88

Blue Belt
Reaction score
As far as your arms being sore, I would say that is fairly normal if you haven't done Martial Arts much or have taken an extensive break. I know there are may thoughts on blocking with an open hand vs. a closed fist. I personally use both. Open hand for parrying and closed hand when I am trying to make other people's shins hurt. Then there is also the mindset of evading more than blocking. It truth I would say that it is personal preferance. I do all of the above. For me it mostly depends on my opponent. If they are being really aggressive I will try to block pretty hard and make them pay a little for being aggressive. If they are slower than me I try to be a bit more evasive. In the end it is up to you how you block. I would suggest trying all of the methods and see what works for you. If you are 125 lbs and fast as bruce lee then go ahead and dodge everything along with some open handed parrying. If you are a big slow hard hitter, then you will probably like the clenched fist method. Just keep with it and you will get a feel for what works.

Latest Discussions