Uniform Standard

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
One thing that drives me crazy these days is that there is no universal uniform standard for black belts, the freedom is nice, but the only standard I've seen is the black trim dobok.

These days? There never HAS been a "universal standard" for anything in the MA.

MI_martialist

Brown Belt
Reaction score
I like tradition as much as the next person, but if you think about it objectively: wearing solid pure white as a workout outfit -- especially a workout where you might be on the floor a lot -- isn't the most practical choice. That's not as bad as wearing white sneakers to mow the lawn, but it's close. :) Still, at our school the geup ranks wear white unless they're on a special team.

If I think about it objectively, I need to understand why a white gi was / has been worn. It is only after understanding this can it be decided what one will do. Also, if we call it simply tradition, why still bow? Why still use "traditional" weapons? Why train in a dojo (dojang)?

What criteria are used to decide if a "tradition" is still useful?

MI_martialist

Brown Belt
Reaction score
These days? There never HAS been a "universal standard" for anything in the MA.

Never been a standard for anything? Is there or has there been curriculum? What about kata? There is not really a universal standard in "modern" / "traditional" martial arts, that I will agree with, but it all came from some standard somewhere.

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Never been a standard for anything? Is there or has there been curriculum? What about kata? There is not really a universal standard in "modern" / "traditional" martial arts, that I will agree with, but it all came from some standard somewhere.

Well no, it didn't.
Firstly, even the dobak/gi is a relatively modern innovation.
Secondly, belt rankings haven't even been around as long as the uniforms.
Thirdly, there's never been ANY standard that has been "universal" for pretty much anything.

MI_martialist

Brown Belt
Reaction score
Well no, it didn't.
Firstly, even the dobak/gi is a relatively modern innovation.
Secondly, belt rankings haven't even been around as long as the uniforms.
Thirdly, there's never been ANY standard that has been "universal" for pretty much anything.

First of all, there has been a standard in martial circles since the beginning...breathing at the end of a battle is better than no longer breathing at the end of the battle...and everything has evolved from there. The belts are absolutely a new invention, and the gi is used in a new way, but the gi has always been there...at least for the warrior class. The difference is that training was never really done in the gi by itself. It was not the unifrom.

TrueJim

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
First of all, there has been a standard in martial circles since the beginning...

When you say "the beginning" ...how far back are you going?

601px-Young_boxers_fresco%2C_Akrotiri%2C_Greece.jpg

Minoan youths boxing, reconstruction of a Knossos fresco (1500 BCE).

Tony Dismukes

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
but the gi has always been there...at least for the warrior class. The difference is that training was never really done in the gi by itself. It was not the unifrom.
Not really. My understanding is that the gi was developed from something which was originally a Japanese undergarment - something like the cultural equivalent of training in sweats or shorts and a t-shirt. As such, it's specific to certain Japanese arts and their derivatives (like TKD or BJJ). You don't find it in Chinese or Filipino or Thai martial arts.

dancingalone

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I believe the karate dogi came from judo. Gichin Funakoshi supposedly demonstrated karate at the Kodokan in Japan wearing a judo uniform and he adopted its use in his karate afterwards. Later as karate began to be codified as a art, the dogi became an accepted part the art, even in Okinawa.

MI_martialist

Brown Belt
Reaction score
Not really. My understanding is that the gi was developed from something which was originally a Japanese undergarment - something like the cultural equivalent of training in sweats or shorts and a t-shirt. As such, it's specific to certain Japanese arts and their derivatives (like TKD or BJJ). You don't find it in Chinese or Filipino or Thai martial arts.

The gi as it is, sure it has evolved, but the wearing of a gi-type garment was always there...but why white? Is there a reason why they wore white undergarments into battle, which is what the gi really is, white undergarments.

Tony Dismukes

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Is there a reason why they wore white undergarments into battle, which is what the gi really is, white undergarments.
The same reason why they wore white undergarments when they weren't in battle? I'm not an expert on the history of clothing, but my first guess would be that people would be less likely to spend money on dying fabrics which weren't meant to be publicly visible. Anyway, I'm pretty certain that said undergarments weren't anything specific to battle conditions or the "warrior class."

Also, as I mentioned before, these garments were not found in other cultures and their martial arts, so they hardly qualify as "universal."

SahBumNimRush

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Don't quote me on this, as I cannot remember where I read it or who told me.

I remember reading/hearing that Kano began using the white judogi as a formalized uniform in the early 1900's. He chose white to symbolize simplicity, avoidance of ego, and the value of purity.

I also remember being told that white is the color of death and mourning in many Asian cultures. Not that I am suggesting that we as martial artists are prepared to die on the floor, but I think it was described to me as a nod to warrior culture, similar to the Samurai.

Personally, I never put a lot of thought or stock in those explanations. It's not a tradition that comes from my culture, and has little relevance to anything other than cultural anthropology.
I'm not belittling it, it's just not something that keeps me up at night.

However, it also makes sense that it was merely the simple and cheap medium of clothing.

Last edited:

SahBumNimRush

Master of Arts
Reaction score
I can see where different colors, stripes, patches etc, feed the ego, which in turns dampens humility. i.e. I get to where the black uniform/black belt club "patch" etc, which does nothing to elevate training, but does indicate an elevation of status, which feeds the ego. If we agree that ego has little place in the martial arts, than I can see how wearing different uniforms could be problematic.

On the other hand, as a school owner, I can understand wanting an easy delineation between different ranks of students beyond just the belt, particularly in a large mixed rank/age setting.

For me it doesn't matter, as we all were the same white dobok, the only difference is the trim to denote rank.

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
The gi as it is, sure it has evolved, but the wearing of a gi-type garment was always there...but why white? Is there a reason why they wore white undergarments into battle, which is what the gi really is, white undergarments.

Because if you're ever in an accident (or a battle...) it's important to have clean underwear on. Didn't your mother ever tell you that?

cleanunderwear.png

IcemanSK

El Conquistador nim!
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Uniform standard can only be expected within an individual dojang or a small organization, or event (eg. at a belt test or at this tournament every competitor must wear X uniform). It's not reasonable to expect every Taekwondoin to wear the same dobok worldwide.