Describe your style

hoshin1600

Senior Master
Reaction score
i will post my styles in order of time spent in each, in desending order.
uechi-ryu
kempo
aikido
jiki shinkage kashima shinden ryu
BJJ
goju-ryu
shotokan/shorin ryu

today i do my own thing. not sure what to call it other then defensive tactics. my focus is on real combat and warrior science. i believe true combatives begin with weapons. guns and knives but also other things, my personal favorite is a carpenters 21 ounce framming hammer with a waffle head and also a baseball bat. combative training in bow and arrow. as for H2H i work on what i call an aggregate system. basics consist of 2 hand strikes, forearms, elbows, knees and 3 kicks that are aimed at the knees or hips, 5 wrist/elbow joint controll-breaks, throws and ground work. focus is on a single target. and a lot of attention is given to the ability or non ability to preform under the stress of combat and the bodys responses to life threatening situations. there are different modes of operation that depend on your emotional state of mind.
i call it a aggregate system because depending on the users legal authority to use force and personal interests they can follow certain aspects deeper than the basics and come up with their own ratio of training segments.

Cirdan

Senior Master
Reaction score
My main styles
Wado Ryu - the art of positioning and precise technique
Ju Jitsu - the art of almost everything

Arts I train in occationally or used to do regularly
Goshindo - the art of dancing while messing you up
Kenjutsu - the art of cutting people to pieces
BJJ - chess on the ground
Kickboxing - weaponless duel
Kali - hit with stick, knife or fist or whatever

Balrog

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Songahm Taekwondo.

I use the college analogy. Taekwondo is our major, where we spend most of our time. We also do a little bit of groundfighting from jiu-jitsu, joint manipulation from aikido, etc. Those are like electives that support the major and make us a more well-rounded martial artist.

Reedone816

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Earlier I trained in sanshou.
The only chinese term were of the eight stances, for techniques we use numbering, like punch 1-1 means straight punch from kung bu stance, 1-2 means hook punch from kung bu stance, and so on.

As for now I am learning maenpo.
Basically we learn how to acknowledging the intention of your opponent then manipulate it to eliminate the intention.
Sent from my RM-943_apac_indonesia_207 using Tapatalk

Kong Soo Do

IKSDA Director
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Karate.

Words and phrases to describe the training;

Reality based self defense. Weapons, both traditional, modern and improvised. Gross motor skill. Flinch response. Fluid. No sport.

tshadowchaser

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Sikaran White Leopard

Primarily a system based of the system of the late Grandmaster Louis Lagarejos and taught by George Chaiter. To that syatem has been added more Filipino weapons and thing that I have learned over the years from many instructors not the least of whom was Danial Pai and Grandmaster Georganne Verigan.
I still study Kajukenpo nad Pai Lum under Grandmaster Verigan.

Discribe the system: well we, constantly learn so that we may evolve
my instruction has been called violent and old school, it has also been called compassionate maybe it depends on the student , the day or my mood, maybe just on what i am teaching and to whom and for why

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I really like this thread. Kind of cool hearing from so many. What a wide variety. No wonder we love the Arts!

Boy, the stuff I don't know about the arts, if compiled in one place, would crash the world wide web.

OP
donald1

donald1

Senior Master
Reaction score
That's the best part, always something new or interesting. Even if you learn new stuff every day there will always be more to learn

I like seeing the different responses to see what different styles are like and stuff about them

Argus

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Wing Chun: Fencing with Fists.
Lichtenauer: Wing Chun with Longswords and funny footwork.

Though, the iconic Kuen Kuit in my signature offers a clearer summary.

Instructor

Master of Arts
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hapkido is an eclectic Korean martial art that employs punches, kicks, throws, joint locks, and nerve attacks. The exact history of Hapkido is not completely known but most practitioners agree that it is an offshoot of Japanese Aiki-Jujutsu. Furthermore Hapkido blends Korean punching and kicking techniques to disable or at least distract the attacker.

Instructor

Master of Arts
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Karate.

Words and phrases to describe the training;

Reality based self defense. Weapons, both traditional, modern and improvised. Gross motor skill. Flinch response. Fluid. No sport.

You should have written Kong Soo Do!

ST1Doppelganger

Brown Belt
Reaction score
My Foundation arts are Choy Li Fut Kung Fu & Grappling arts.

I've studied several arts that I call complimentary arts which consist of whats listed below.

Judo
Yang Tai Chi
Bagua
Wing Chun

And now am currently studying Tenshin Aikido.

Due to me being tall (6foot 2inches) my personal style favors staying on the outside and bashing with power kicks and punches. If an opponent tries to crowd me thats when I use shorter range hand strikes, elbow & knees to close the gap so I can get a clinch or lock for a throw.

I also have my grappling arts BJJ & Shoot fighting to allow me to defend on the ground which is the last place id want to be in a street altercation.

Essentially I use the concepts of yielding from tai chi, allot of wing Chun structure and Concepts for short range and the evasive footwork & hands of bagua to set up my locks and throws.

Pretty much I pick and choose arts that can fill gaps that my personal style has or that contain concepts/techniques that compliment my personal style.

I also love stick and edged weapon training along with firearm training.

Flying Crane

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Tibetan White Crane.

It's a training method that teaches you to engage the power of the full body to drive your techniques. Once you understand how to do that, you can use it for anything you want to do. You can apply the concept to any movement, even if it is not a "proper" technique. The method uses a lot of body rotation, driven from the feet and engaging up the full body. It's kinda hard to describe without being able to show.

The training method is largely long-arm, but that is to ingrain the concept into your body. Once you understand it, you can use it at any range of combat.

The method is very aggressive, once you decide to do something. You kinda have to be, 'cause if you try to go half-way, it doesn't work. It's really a training method designed to teach you to hit absolutely as hard as possible.

I've trained some other things over the years, but no longer do so. Once I got the proper training in Tibetan White Crane, I realized that that method makes the most sense to me, so I stopped doing everything else that I used to do.

tshadowchaser

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
What can I say about the styles I have studied and the style I reach. They have been good enough to keep me alive and out of the hospital in a few situations. I don't think much else needs to be said about what I study and teach

Latest Discussions