Trained in Different Styles This Weekend

Granger

White Belt
Reaction score
What a great weekend. I went to what we called the Winter Workout this past Saturday and got to train for about 5 hours and trained with 5 different styles and 5 different sensei and/or masters. We started training with training Escrima and used training knives. I recognized some of the moves from Modern Arnis, but they were a little different. The different partners throughout this session made each move more interesting as they continued to build on each other. At the end we were able to build on the moves and encouraged to explore.

The second Sensei trained in TKD and Kobukan and was also a retired police officer. He has us work on some gun self defense techniques. One of my partners was one of the other Sensei so we got to explore some modifications to the moves were were showed. It was a great time.

Next we moved onto Hapkido with a sensei from Oregon. I had never tried Hapkido before so it was really informative. I got to work with a partner from MI that has a lot of experience with Hapkido so he was able to help me train. At one point he flipped me on my back and much to my surprise I was flipped over without effort on my part. I was quite surprised, because until then I had to actively role over as the lock was forcing me to move to relieve the pressure, but before I really even felt the lock I was in the air rolling over. It was fantastic.

After Hapkido we had a Sensei that really didn't focus on any particular style but talked about the commonality of several different styles in that he talked about the typical low block. He asked the group how many of us train the typical low block that I learned when I trained TKD and Shotokan. The styles I train now does not use the traditional low block or at least that is what I thought at the time. The Sensei proceeded to show us how this basic move is used in all the different styles that were represented in the room. From the basic block to locks to take downs to weapons it was thoroughly enlightening and a great way to show everyone that while we may train different styles we all have some things in common with each other.

Finally my Sensei had us training Modern Arnis. It was great way to end the day for me because that is one of the styles I train so I was able to seek out partners that had little to no experience with Filipino Martial Arts and help them try different techniques. I also had the honor of being one of the Uke's for my Sensei, which gave me a different perspective.

It was such a great training day for me. I walked in with the intent on taking for "take home messages", but it was difficult. I wanted to write down everything, but had to focus on one key part from each instructor. I'm already looking forward to next year's Winger Workout.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
What a great weekend. I went to what we called the Winter Workout this past Saturday and got to train for about 5 hours and trained with 5 different styles and 5 different sensei and/or masters. We started training with training Escrima and used training knives. I recognized some of the moves from Modern Arnis, but they were a little different. The different partners throughout this session made each move more interesting as they continued to build on each other. At the end we were able to build on the moves and encouraged to explore.

The second Sensei trained in TKD and Kobukan and was also a retired police officer. He has us work on some gun self defense techniques. One of my partners was one of the other Sensei so we got to explore some modifications to the moves were were showed. It was a great time.

Next we moved onto Hapkido with a sensei from Oregon. I had never tried Hapkido before so it was really informative. I got to work with a partner from MI that has a lot of experience with Hapkido so he was able to help me train. At one point he flipped me on my back and much to my surprise I was flipped over without effort on my part. I was quite surprised, because until then I had to actively role over as the lock was forcing me to move to relieve the pressure, but before I really even felt the lock I was in the air rolling over. It was fantastic.

After Hapkido we had a Sensei that really didn't focus on any particular style but talked about the commonality of several different styles in that he talked about the typical low block. He asked the group how many of us train the typical low block that I learned when I trained TKD and Shotokan. The styles I train now does not use the traditional low block or at least that is what I thought at the time. The Sensei proceeded to show us how this basic move is used in all the different styles that were represented in the room. From the basic block to locks to take downs to weapons it was thoroughly enlightening and a great way to show everyone that while we may train different styles we all have some things in common with each other.

Finally my Sensei had us training Modern Arnis. It was great way to end the day for me because that is one of the styles I train so I was able to seek out partners that had little to no experience with Filipino Martial Arts and help them try different techniques. I also had the honor of being one of the Uke's for my Sensei, which gave me a different perspective.

It was such a great training day for me. I walked in with the intent on taking for "take home messages", but it was difficult. I wanted to write down everything, but had to focus on one key part from each instructor. I'm already looking forward to next year's Winger Workout.
I really like these multi-style workshops. Guru Mike Casto (Anging Gembala Penchak Silat) used to host an annual event with three different instructors, called Triple Impact. I made it to one of them (maybe the last one) and picked up some DVDs from a previous year. (Interestingly, there were at least 5 instructors and styles present that year, not counting Mike: Silat/Kali, Shen Chuan, MMA ground work/BJJ, Aikido, and a CMA.)

It's really interesting seeing different perspectives at a single event. There are always conflicting principles presented, as well as similarities to see. I've learned a lot about my primary art by viewing it through the lens of another art after a seminar.

Headhunter

Senior Master
Reaction score
Yeah it sounds fun but personally I don't enjoy those things since well you're more than likely not going to practice that stuff again and if you do there's no instructor to correct you. Then you'll carry on your own training and forget that stuff

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yeah it sounds fun but personally I don't enjoy those things since well you're more than likely not going to practice that stuff again and if you do there's no instructor to correct you. Then you'll carry on your own training and forget that stuff
There are very few techniques I've ever carried out of short seminar segments like that (I have carried some out of single-art seminars). What I bring out of them is a different view and some new principles to work with. My biggest one-week jump in understanding of my primary art came after a full-day seminar in an art with similar principles (but very different application and teaching techniques).