Describe your style

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Combat Shuai Chiao (Jiao):

ACSCA.jpg

Combat Shuai-Chiao is based on 5,000 years of Chinese fighting knowledge and experience. Developed at the dawn of Chinese civilization and refined through centuries of conflict and conquest, this system offers its practitioners what may be the most well-rounded of the traditional Chinese empty-hand fighting arts.

"Shuai-Chiao" itself refers to Chinese style wrestling. This art focuses strongly on throwing techniques, designed to incapacitate an opponent with the shock of impact. It also has strong joint locks and controls, known as Chin-Na Shou. Striking techniques (punching & kicking) are taught for real-world self-defense and are far easier to learn and employ than the devastating throws which distinguish Shuai-Chiao.

The art includes:

- partner training,
- equipment training,
- solo drill training,
- static and dynamic posture training,
- 4 sides and 2 doors concept,
- butterfly hands principles,
- defense and counter principles,
- entering and finishing strategies.

The combat SC system is almost the same as the

- Sanda/Sanshou without the 3 seconds holding limitation, or
- MMA without the ground work.

It's one of very few Chinese MA systems that

- has "no form".
- is treated as "sport".

Last edited:

dlcox

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Tibetan White Crane

Originally a northern system that went south. I would describe it as External to Internal, but really don't like those terms. It is a simplistic art on the rudimentary level and methodically adds sophistication as one progresses, it's core though is based upon gross motor skill. It includes in equal amounts the concepts of Ti, Da, Shuai and Na. It has it's own "Tai Chi" method that is slowly interwoven throughout the training as one progresses. It's base philosophy is Cruelty, Interception, Evasion and Penetration. It is philosophically influenced by Lamaism and the 6 Tantric Sutras. It's Chi Gung is more important mentally than physically. It was formally codified in 1506 but its roots stretch back to Zong Ka Ba the teacher of the first Panchen Lama and even further to India and the art of Kalaripayettu. It is primarily based upon the antics of the Ape and Crane, which are considered totems, but in reality the art also contains the 5 animals or protectors, being the Tiger, Snow Lion, Garuda, Dragon and Wind Horse. These are seen as minor totems. It was known as Fojia Quan in the late Qing dynasty and was deeply immersed in the Hong Men societies of southern China. It was re-vamped in the 1940's-1960's by Wu Zhao Zhong, who is considered the modern founder of Bai He Pai. This became the most popular branch and stresses a northern long fist flavor as compared to some other branches that stress short fist and cross pattern work.

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Tibetan White Crane

It's base philosophy is Cruelty, ...

This is very interested. The "字门拳 Zimen system" (one of my cross training systems) also uses cruelty as the 1st principle. I wonder if these 2 CMA systems have any connection.

字门拳法以先师余克让所刨八法即残,推、援、夺、牵,捺、逼、吸为基本拳法,
Word method to first division Yu Ke let the plane eight cruelty (disabled), push, aid, capture, hold, NA, forced, or vacuum as the basic method,

Here is a Zimen system clip:

[video]http://v.ku6.com/show/2r9LnZW2UUIQzBmaTmQeeg...html[/video]

Marnetmar

Black Belt
Reaction score
Mine's that weird karate crap with a funny name that doesn't work in muh MMA, of course.

Mark Lynn

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Mine is what used to be called American TKD, and what is now called American Karate. It is comprised of basically the older forms that Gen Choi created (Blue Cottage patterns?) which were bastardized Shotokan (Japnese karate) kata; the fancy kicks of TKD, the basics of TKD etc. etc. When it comes to the self defense type instruction it is heavily based on the FMAs, some MT (low line kicks, knees and elbows), joint locks etc. etc.

I also teach Modern Arnis or Presas Arnis which is a combination of Modern Arnis and Kombatan Arnis and now I'm just leaning towards Modern Arnis. I teach double sticks (Kombatan), single sticks (Modern Arnis), stick and knife (Kombatan), knife (Kombatan), and empty hand (Modern Arnis). However my focus is on teaching the translations of the movements as it applies to self defense (due to Hock Hochheim's influence) instead of the stick sparring aspects of the FMAs.

I also teach Kobudo (Okinawan based weapons) in a very limited fashion, however once again some of the instruction is based on translating the techniques through the FMAs.

So what words describe them, 1) Translation of movements, 2) Applications of techniques (Kata, Anyos), 3) Compound learning (using something in many different ways to accelerate the learning process) 4) Function above style or system.

You could call it pirate martial arts, I steal from everyone.

Latest Discussions