Is there a way to train hard often without a partner?

MattofSilat

Orange Belt
Reaction score
When I say often, I mean 40 minutes + per day. I have a ton of spare time, and I'm dedicated to getting stronger in any way I can. At the moment, I'm following a calisthenics routine, which involves quite a bit of work but only on 3 days of the week.

On Monday I do 3 sets of 50 Push-Ups and 3 sets of 50 Squats

On Wednesday I do 3 sets of 40 Pull-Ups, but they aren't real vertical pull-ups. I also do 3 sets of 40 leg raises.

On Friday I do 3 sets of 40 bridges (make the bridge, then go down, then do it again) and do 2 minutes of wall headstands.

Please bear in mind that none of these are the real deal, they are all basically minor versions of the actual thing because I can't do enough of the actual excercise to make it worth my while. For example, I could do 40 pull-ups hanging off a table for 3 sets, yet I could peak of 4 Vertical Pull Ups for 3 sets. I don't think the gains are worth it, so I'll build up to them. Do you think I could do these excercises, considering they aren't as tough as the actual version, more often?

I also do a routine of stretches for 10 minutes in total every day. This involves a bridge hold, an L-Holds (I haven't managed to get this yet, but I'm building up to it) and a twist hold. I also sometimes do other stretches like attempted splits.

I want to become stronger, and I know that comes with A) Experience and B) Hard Work. I know it takes time, I understand, but I feel I could be doing more, yet I don't know what it is.

I'm still a white belt in Jujitsu, so I don't really know enough to be practicing any forms at home.

I also don't have a partner to practice with.

What do you think I can do?

EDIT: By the way, the reason I only do the calisthenics routine 3 days a week is because rest is essential to building muscle, ESPECIALLY with Strength, which is what I desire as it's what I lack most.

punisher73

Senior Master
Reaction score
Sounds like you got the Convict Conditioning book I suggested.

The routine will seem easy at first and you are gradually building up your base levels and each level will focus less on endurance and more on the strength of the muscle. It also helps you learn your body and develop body awareness for your JJ.

As to your JJ, what type is it? Practice going through the movements you remember solo and try to add in as much detail as you can with your imagery with your practice. Also, ask your instructor for solo drills to practice at home.

OP
M

MattofSilat

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Yeah, I got both Convict Conditioning and the sequel, which I'm only doing the 'Trifecta' stretches from at the moment. It's a little be frustrating, so I'll ask you. What do I do about push-ups? I find the first step rather difficult, not as the technique, but I find doing 3 sets of 50 very tolling on the arms. I can do 2 sets of 10 full pushups as the book tells me to, so I'm Advanced on Level 5 but still can't pass Level 1. Would you recommend taking it slowly and getting through level one for the endurance? Additionally, I find Level 1 of the Squats a bit difficult as the upper body hurts more than the lower and I can't keep straight (Shoulderstand Squats). If I can do the technique and have no existing knee problems, do you reccomend seeing how I do on level 2? I understand you're probably not a genius when it comes to this book, but I guarantee you have more experience than me.

As for my JJ, I take a sort of hybrid between Japanese, Judo and Aikido. However, there is no sport, solely self defense. Currently, the only thing I'm practicing is one arm block -> Hip Throw -> (No idea what it's called, but you grab the wrist and rotate it around their head while stepping over, so it's loaded and they can't get up) -> Putting the knee on the outstretched elbow to snap upwards/force them to tap.

I'm practicing my Hip Throws in Air because my footwork is the issue, I end up not getting them fully on the back and they kind of stumble to the side.

Thanks a lot for the recommendation by the way, I never would have thought to do that and Paul Wade certainly brings up some very good points, especially those related to the flaws in the Gym and the Midsection.

EDIT: Another question. I feel kind of awkward asking all these questions, but many say that's a good thing. Would you say the more you practice with your Sensei, the better you will become? Our 'Junior' >18 sessions have finished until the beginning of September, but they are still running 2 sessions a week (1 1/2 Hours in comparison to the Juniors hour per session, 3 times the training if I go to both). I also heard they do actual sparring which we don't do yet. Is it a no-brainer if I feel physically able?

PhotonGuy

Senior Master
Reaction score
I would say keep up the Jujitsu and even if you don't know enough to practice forms on your own right now, practice what you can on your own, some of the basic techniques. The exercises you're doing are really good but you might also want to try out weightlifting, it is excellent for building strength. It is possible to train in a grappling art such as Jujitsu without a partner but for solo drills you would be best off getting a grappling dummy which might be pricey but is very useful.

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score

Without training partner, you can't "develop" any new techniques but you can use

- equipment training to "enhance" the old techniques that you have already developed. You should not use too much weight on this kind of training since speed and explosive power is what you want to develop.

- solo drills (partner drills without partner) to "polish" the old techniques that you have already developed.

Here is the partner drill. Your "solo drill" is identical to the partner drill.

Last edited by a moderator:

punisher73

Senior Master
Reaction score
Yeah, I got both Convict Conditioning and the sequel, which I'm only doing the 'Trifecta' stretches from at the moment. It's a little be frustrating, so I'll ask you. What do I do about push-ups? I find the first step rather difficult, not as the technique, but I find doing 3 sets of 50 very tolling on the arms. I can do 2 sets of 10 full pushups as the book tells me to, so I'm Advanced on Level 5 but still can't pass Level 1. Would you recommend taking it slowly and getting through level one for the endurance? Additionally, I find Level 1 of the Squats a bit difficult as the upper body hurts more than the lower and I can't keep straight (Shoulderstand Squats). If I can do the technique and have no existing knee problems, do you reccomend seeing how I do on level 2? I understand you're probably not a genius when it comes to this book, but I guarantee you have more experience than me.

As for my JJ, I take a sort of hybrid between Japanese, Judo and Aikido. However, there is no sport, solely self defense. Currently, the only thing I'm practicing is one arm block -> Hip Throw -> (No idea what it's called, but you grab the wrist and rotate it around their head while stepping over, so it's loaded and they can't get up) -> Putting the knee on the outstretched elbow to snap upwards/force them to tap.

I'm practicing my Hip Throws in Air because my footwork is the issue, I end up not getting them fully on the back and they kind of stumble to the side.

Thanks a lot for the recommendation by the way, I never would have thought to do that and Paul Wade certainly brings up some very good points, especially those related to the flaws in the Gym and the Midsection.

EDIT: Another question. I feel kind of awkward asking all these questions, but many say that's a good thing. Would you say the more you practice with your Sensei, the better you will become? Our 'Junior' >18 sessions have finished until the beginning of September, but they are still running 2 sessions a week (1 1/2 Hours in comparison to the Juniors hour per session, 3 times the training if I go to both). I also heard they do actual sparring which we don't do yet. Is it a no-brainer if I feel physically able?

Others gave great advice about practice and solo practice in your JJ. I'll only address the exercise questions.

With the push ups, the long sets of endurance help strengthen the connective tissues as well to help build up your foundation for the later push ups. I believe in the later chapters he addresses this exact issue and says to start at the first level and progress even if you can "skip" to another level.

For me, I did skip step 1 on the squats. They did nothing for my legs and just hurt as well. Another option is to change the angle on some exercises if you aren't quite ready for the next step in the early stages. For example, for back it has you lean back slightly and then pull yourself forward. If you have a sturdy pole or something similiar, you can use a piece of rope or a gi belt and put that around it and hold the rope/belt so you can lean back farther. This is also good for developing your grip for grappling. Same thing for the pushups, you can go from the slight lean of the wall to various degrees until horizontal based on your conditioning.

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
When I say often, I mean 40 minutes + per day. I have a ton of spare time, and I'm dedicated to getting stronger in any way I can. At the moment, I'm following a calisthenics routine, which involves quite a bit of work but only on 3 days of the week.

On Monday I do 3 sets of 50 Push-Ups and 3 sets of 50 Squats

On Wednesday I do 3 sets of 40 Pull-Ups, but they aren't real vertical pull-ups. I also do 3 sets of 40 leg raises.

On Friday I do 3 sets of 40 bridges (make the bridge, then go down, then do it again) and do 2 minutes of wall headstands.

Please bear in mind that none of these are the real deal, they are all basically minor versions of the actual thing because I can't do enough of the actual excercise to make it worth my while. For example, I could do 40 pull-ups hanging off a table for 3 sets, yet I could peak of 4 Vertical Pull Ups for 3 sets. I don't think the gains are worth it, so I'll build up to them. Do you think I could do these excercises, considering they aren't as tough as the actual version, more often?

I also do a routine of stretches for 10 minutes in total every day. This involves a bridge hold, an L-Holds (I haven't managed to get this yet, but I'm building up to it) and a twist hold. I also sometimes do other stretches like attempted splits.

I want to become stronger, and I know that comes with A) Experience and B) Hard Work. I know it takes time, I understand, but I feel I could be doing more, yet I don't know what it is.

I'm still a white belt in Jujitsu, so I don't really know enough to be practicing any forms at home.

EDIT: By the way, the reason I only do the calisthenics routine 3 days a week is because rest is essential to building muscle, ESPECIALLY with Strength, which is what I desire as it's what I lack most.

When it comes to the exercises, quality over quantity. IMHO, who cares if you can't do the exact number that the book says? It's much better to do fewer reps, but better form, than 20 exercises that are done half assed. In time, you'll gradually be able to do more and more.

As for training your art by yourself...well, you probably won't be able to do much without a partner.

WaterGal

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Do you do any cardio - running, biking, swimming, etc?

Latest Discussions