Can you recommend me legit Wing Chun channels on youtube?

wckf92

Master of Arts
Reaction score
The problem which I see with studying WC lineages and such is that first of all I'm limited by what's even available to me. I can only go to places which are somewhere
in my area. This means even if there's a fantastic teacher too far away for me it doesn't help me.

What if for example a teacher doesn't have credentials or if you ask him who he learned under he just gives you a name of some other guy who nobody heard of. Then
what? Does this mean that you can already forget about someone like that who learned under Joe Blow?

No. That has nothing to do with anything. If the teacher is a "nobody", not particularly "famous"...so what? If he can teach you how to defend yourself, who cares who he learned from.

OP
K

kehcorpz

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Yes but who do I know if his stuff is good or not? How shall I be able to find out about this without training in his school for years and then realizing that his stuff sucked?
That's really scary.

If you hire a personal trainer at a gym then you can quickly tell if you get stronger or leaner. But this is something entirely different. Here you can basically waste years and years
on a bad teacher. :(

For me this whole thing only makes sense if I feel like the stuff which I learn is good and correct otherwise I'll always have doubts.

wckf92

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Yes but who do I know if his stuff is good or not? How shall I be able to find out about this without training in his school for years and then realizing that his stuff sucked?
That's really scary.

If you hire a personal trainer at a gym then you can quickly tell if you get stronger or leaner. But this is something entirely different. Here you can basically waste years and years
on a bad teacher. :(

For me this whole thing only makes sense if I feel like the stuff which I learn is good and correct otherwise I'll always have doubts.

Then ask the instructor if you can attack him any way you want...and see what happens.
You can also analyze the students he/she has produced.

OP
K

kehcorpz

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Hm, do instructors usually do this?

But even if he can fend off my attacks this doesn't really mean much either, does it?

How shall I analyze the students? If I can't tell if the teacher is good then it's the same with the students. I can watch them and still
have no freaking clue if they are good or not. This is really a huge problem.
Basically any teacher can just rip me off pretending his stuff is good and effective. And of course whatever he does will look really good.
It's the same issue as with the video clip from a self defense dvd. I made a thread about it. It looks totally impressive when you watch it
but obviously it's not that great. (What's your opinion about this SD sequence?).

In order to tell if a teacher is good or not you needed to see him in a real fight. Then you'd get a glimpse of how good his stuff really is.
I guess if you have enough money you could just hire a few guys to wait for him outside of the dojo lol.
If he loses you can directly take off and check out another school.

futsaowingchun

Black Belt
Reaction score
@futsaowingchun ...Hey Fut, did you ever train in a lineage where they used this method? One good thing about it, at the beginning at least, is that it helps you learn how to move efficiently with an opponent's force. Depending on the force you receive, there is absolutely a right way and a wrong way to deal with it. The "sets" put you in specific situations that you might not otherwise get into very often with your classmates when doing random chi-sau and they teach you the most efficient solution to a given "problem".

This is a good idea, to start with. The problem is that if you teach a concept-oriented approach (which I strongly believe in), you should eventually move past the need for this kind of scripting and be able to figure out ...or feel your way out on your own.

No, I don't agree about training chi sao sets.. i do teach basic techniques like tan da, Lop sao etc but not in any particular order or sets...just to get them started. Everyone is differnt so after you learn the basics it's up to you how you do your chi sao otherwise you create robots not individuals. What works for me might not work for you. Each person has to find their own way to personalize their wing chun..Wing Chun is not a paint by numbers..So that's my philosophy about Wing chun or any other MA.

futsaowingchun

Black Belt
Reaction score
In addition to doing a little background research as LFJ pointed out, see if anybody legit actually teaches a version of WC,VT,WT, etc. in your area. If you are lucky enough to find a school, or several different schools, go and visit a class. "Sifu Youtube" is no substitute for direct participation.
Sifu " YouTube" love that. ..I might have to steel it from you..

Old Judoka

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
haha then at first stay away from everything of the ewto (european win tsun organisation) and this kernspecht guy, this is just for ripping off people. i don't know a specific youtuber, but if you google for the "fight quest" episode about wing chun, you get a good first look on the principles.

Loved that fight quest episode. Is that show still on? I loved watching Doug with Avavit Cohen in the Krav Maga episode. Psycho-woman, LOL

Juany118

Senior Master
Reaction score
I'll be honest. I don't think I have seen any channels that are good to learn from. I have seen some that are good as supplemental material but these then end up being a choice as to what you feel you need to supplement on. The problem is most channels I found are showing you how to use different techniques but in different circumstances BUT don't tell you how the foundations. Example they show you how to deflect a blow with a Tan Sau but they don't usually talk about the importance of the angle of you Tan. They talk about the importance of structure but often don't explain in detail how to do it or maintain it while doing footwork.

However videos by various people are good in helping you take what you learn in a class, where the Sifu can correct your issues, and show you how to apply it in dynamic real life situations. This is where what you need supplementation comes in because different videos have different attitudes as to how the techniques should be applied, classically? down and dirty? Etc.

Flying Crane

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Hm, do instructors usually do this?

But even if he can fend off my attacks this doesn't really mean much either, does it?

How shall I analyze the students? If I can't tell if the teacher is good then it's the same with the students. I can watch them and still
have no freaking clue if they are good or not. This is really a huge problem.
Basically any teacher can just rip me off pretending his stuff is good and effective. And of course whatever he does will look really good.
It's the same issue as with the video clip from a self defense dvd. I made a thread about it. It looks totally impressive when you watch it
but obviously it's not that great. (What's your opinion about this SD sequence?).

In order to tell if a teacher is good or not you needed to see him in a real fight. Then you'd get a glimpse of how good his stuff really is.
I guess if you have enough money you could just hire a few guys to wait for him outside of the dojo lol.
If he loses you can directly take off and check out another school.
I suggest you simply remain frozen with indecision. Face it, you aren't really cut out for this stuff.

OP
K

kehcorpz

Blue Belt
Reaction score

yes i know him. but he doesn't have many instructional videos where he really teaches wing chun techniques. he focuses me on real fight situtations and what do to.

but i watched one video where you showed his dojo and it looked really impressive. one guy was standing on a huge gymnastic ball balancing all the time and at the same time he was doing punches. i don't know if they do stuff like this in other places.

Latest Discussions