Authenticity of Learning Wing Chun via a Screen

geezer

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
- Your arm contact on your opponent's arm.
- your opponent punches you; you redirect his punch with your arm movement.
- You punch your opponent; he redirects your punch with his arm movement.

I don't think you can get this kind of training in boxing, or full contact sparring.
Yeah, other arts do have tactile training methods that conceptually overlap with chi sau. Tai Chi has tui shou, Goju has kakie, FMA has hubud, wrestling has pummeling, and so on... but these drills are trained using structures and energies specific to their own respective arts.

These other drills may be useful in helping you develop certain fighting skills, but they are not Wing Chun and will not teach you Wing Chun. In fact they are more likely to get in the way and impede your learning WC unless you already have a really solid WC foundation!

Kakie

BTW Gotta love the Taiko drums!!!

Last edited:

adamwilliss

White Belt
Reaction score
What a great reply from someone I learn a lot of Wing Chun moves from. Thank you very much for your kind words. What I am currently doing now is applying what I have learned online in a martial arts gym, where we spar. Would you say the effect with training with a Wing Chun practitioner also, would be different?
Always happy to help. And yes, training hands-on with a Wing Chun practitioner is different. When you feel what someone really good at Wing Chun can do to you, you will see what I mean. There's nothing quite like it and once you experience it, if you're like me you'll become obsessed with being able to do those things too. Keep the faith brotha.

Latest Discussions