This guy says Wing Chun sucks, what would you reply?

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
That's good but I doubt that all schools do this.

What if you find no school which does this?

Imagine the teacher allows other students to come in and then his students always get beaten up

then after a while they'd leave and join the other school. That's taking a huge financial risk for the teacher.

And now you know the issue with wing chun.

Danny T

Senior Master
Reaction score
As an individual who has training in Wing Chun, Shotokan, Kali, Boxing, Muay Thai, Wrestling/CSW/some BJJ, MMA and instruct & coach Muay Thai & MMA fighters I am still first and foremost a Wing Chun practitioner. The guys in the video really have do idea as to what they are talking about.

Kickboxer101

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
God man grow a pair and get a grip. You're never going to train so why bother watching videos.

KPM

Senior Master
Reaction score
So it's an absolute fact that wing chun doesn't work well against boxers????

Do wing chun authorities recognize this or do they simply deny it?

But then how do you deal with this issue? If it's common knowledge then does this mean that any good wing chun instructor should be able to
offer solutions for this?

What if the teacher is 100% traditional and learned from old teachers with a good reputation? Then this would mean that his stuff is authentic
but still outdated.

I thought that the more traditional the better but if traditional wing chun has too many weaknesses for our times then this would mean that learning
authentic wing chun isn't good either.

^^^^^^ This is guy is an idiot too! So why bother???

marques

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Ignoring these beings is usually the good thing to do.

I believe most martial arts would / could improve a lot with more interaction between styles.

Everything sucks, to someone. :cool:

marques

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Imagine the teacher allows other students to come in and then his students always get beaten up

then after a while they'd leave and join the other school. That's taking a huge financial risk for the teacher.
I think you're right here. Some schools will say no sparring at the beginning, for safety reasons. But it is likely to be a strong reason, too.

It is also a risk for the outsider. If you, the outsider, 'outbox' the 'natives' during sparring, they may start fighting without warning. I got a concussion, recently. Although always sparring with control, slowly, repeating the same tricks...

Leo89

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
But I want to learn something. But at the same time I want to learn something which really works.
If this is how you feel, I'd say you're a rather insecure person.

People bash martial arts all the time, almost every martial art gets the "It sucks/doesn't work/Well I could still Kick your @$$" routine.

Wing chun works well, or people wouldn't practice it.

I was told kenpo was useless but I managed to defend myself quite well with it in highschool, now I'm in TKD a martial art that probably gets bashed the most, but does that mean it truly sucks and is ineffective? Hell no it doesn't mean that, it just means that people aren't training right and probably go home and become a couch potato after they train, undoing and undermining most of what they did.

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Lol that's funny. I just automatically assumed that the OP was taking about these 2 clowns just from reading the first 2 sentences.

OP these clowns will get under your skin but let them influence you into thinking like they. The Street in me wants to fight them. I would fight both of them at the same time just so I wouldn't feel the need to hold back.

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
But I want to learn something. But at the same time I want to learn something which really works.
For the most part. What works and what doesn't work will depend on how well you understand the system and how well you are able to apply that system against other systems.

blindsage

Master of Arts
Reaction score
These fools sound exactly like every know-it-all basement nerd on any other subject. They think they know everything and that their opinions are based in fact, but really they're based in half-assed understanding of pretty much the universe.

I've run into a few young guys like this. When I tell them my 270 lbs self does Taiji and Bagua, they aren't nearly so apt to dismiss what I do to my face. Always leaves me wondering, so where is your superior systems when you're just intimidated by a fat Taiji guy?

Monkey Turned Wolf

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
This sucks.

But how is this supposed to work? I mean you can't just go to other schools and participate in a few classes to exchange some knowledge.
I don't think that the teachers want stuff like that. This would disrupt everything if every few weeks a guest comes in to do some sparring.
Honest question. Are you Kehcorpz under a new name? I am assuming no because your grammar is much better, but from the threads you've posted/questions you've asked so far, I'm sensing similar issues.

Ignoring the attacks on his grammar, or people just making fun of him, it may help you to read through those posts as the (helpful) answers there will probably help you.

But please, for the love of God, don't reply to any of them. I don't know if he gets email notifications, and I don't feel like having him come back to the site.

Chester Wright

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Wing Chun has a lot of principles that translate well to a lot of other arts. However it is very limited when it comes to its effectiveness I feel in an actually fight against a trained fighter. Its always good to expand your knowledge and take what is useful from different arts, but at the end of the day if you train Muay Thai, Boxing, Wrestling, Judo, Jiu Jitsu, Sambo, Kickboxing, or MMA you are training to legitimately dismantle a human being.

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
It bothers me for the long fist system not emphasize enough on round house kick. It also bothers me for the WC system not emphasize enough on hook punch (or haymaker), a very powerful tool.

lansao

Purple Belt
Reaction score
WC, from its beginning, was developed to fight against other styles of fighting. Initially this was probably restricted to hung ga, long fist systems and the like.

Now fast forward a century or two.
In order for WC to stay true to the spirit of its origins, we need to continue....or for some of us, maybe even resurrect this tradition.

Pressure test. If someone in your WC group has previous MA experience, pick his brain , work with him every chance you get....use him for the valuable resource he is.
If you don't have anyone in your group that fits that description, then go out and find someone. Find a buddy who likes to wrestle or box or kick and glove up and pressure test.
Don't just practice Martial incest. ....not a pretty sight.

Very well said!

~ Alan

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I read the title of the thread and wanted to say - "I wouldn't reply, I don't speak to idiots."

But, then I clicked on the actual post - tada! Made my day. I've grown to love these two guys! (a guilty pleasure, what can I say?)

As for Wing Chun, I've known some Wing Chun guys, some of who kicked my butt. One of my teachers was a JKD/Wing Chun man, and everybody, from every style, came to his school and banged the hell out of each other, boxers, grapplers, kickers, everybody. It was really good stuff.
How did they spar? Any way they wanted to.

Andrew Green

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
What concerns me is that he says wing chun only works against other wing chun guys.

I couldn't make it through the video, don't have the patience for those guys at the moment apparently.

Before you can decide if something is good or bad you need to put it into some sort of criteria. Boxing sucks in a wrestling match, BJJ sucks in a Muay Thai fight, etc.

But regardless, there is something to that point. All styles are going to suffer from it too some extent. You are going to get best at fighting against the people you train with daily, and chances are they all train the same style as you. The rise of MMA was sort of a response to that in a sense as it put style against style. If you want to be perfectly honest it was slightly rigged in that the Gracie's trained to fight against other styles and had a fair bit of experience doing so.

There are most likely things in Wing Chun that are most useful against another Wing Chun person though. Same could be said about pretty much any style though.

If you like Wing Chun and it suits your needs and goals, rock on. If it doesn't find something that does and do that. Otherwise is't just hockey players saying basketball sucks.

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hello! I came across this guy's channel on y-tube. He rants about all kinds of MAs and says they don't work.

Here's the thing... there's no evidence that either of them have any significant degree of training or experience in any MA. One claims to have a KKW 4th Dan, but a check on the KKW web site shows him as being only a 2nd Poom.
So, basically, they're talking out their asses about stuff they don't really understand.

SOD-WC

Orange Belt
Reaction score
who the hell are those 2 clowns, i didnt make it past 1.5 mins? These guys dont understand the WC system and have only been watching youtube videos for reference. they mention WC is immobile, i think thats because they just see the first form which is only training. Bezzerk best thing is to move on and forget about them. Do you really think any MA master would record himself on youtube effectivly taking someone out?

Bezzerk if you really believe WC doesnt work, how about you go with another martial art? if you have doubts in ur heart even if u take up WC, u wont excel so why bother and waste time?

personally i think WC trainers will take longer to be proficient than other arts. (besides tai chi, cause its harder for me), but too many times in WC the students only learn a bit and try to prove themselves.

KabutoKouji

Green Belt
Reaction score
It bothers me for the long fist system not emphasize enough on round house kick.

In the Longfist style I practice (YMAA) there are I think literally no turning kicks/roundhouses - I come from an ITF TKD background and I asked about it specifically - there is a type of quarter the angle (in terms of knee angle in relation to the ground) kick, but it is designed to be done upwards at the base of the rib cage.

Then again, certainly rear leg roundhouses expose the groin for a good bit, and in the style there seems to be a major emphasis on always protecting that area.

Latest Discussions