Wing chun only works when you attack???

kehcorpz

Blue Belt
Reaction score
I heard this from a wing chun instructor in a video.

Is this true? I mean is this official wing chun philosophy?

If this is really correct and UNLESS you attack at the right time and intercept your enemy
and in case you miss this window of opportunity you get beaten up then this means that wing
chun is really very limited.

I mean what sense does this even make?!

For example if a wing chun guy only has a chance of winning against somebody else by being
able to destroy him before the fight really starts then this means that the wing chun defense sucks.

This is like saying boxing only works if you attack. A boxer can also simply keep the distance and not
attack but his defense still works and protects him.

But obviously in wing chun this is not the case otherwise people wouldn't always say "he just stood there"
when a wing chun guy gets beaten up.

Take IP Man 3 for example. Ip Man doesn't always attack like a madman he also deflects punches. He's not
always rushing into his enemies like a train.

wckf92

Master of Arts
Reaction score
I heard this from a wing chun instructor in a video.

Is this true? I mean is this official wing chun philosophy?

If this is really correct and UNLESS you attack at the right time and intercept your enemy
and in case you miss this window of opportunity you get beaten up then this means that wing
chun is really very limited.

I mean what sense does this even make?!

For example if a wing chun guy only has a chance of winning against somebody else by being
able to destroy him before the fight really starts then this means that the wing chun defense sucks.

This is like saying boxing only works if you attack. A boxer can also simply keep the distance and not
attack but his defense still works and protects him.

But obviously in wing chun this is not the case otherwise people wouldn't always say "he just stood there"
when a wing chun guy gets beaten up.

Take IP Man 3 for example. Ip Man doesn't always attack like a madman he also deflects punches. He's not
always rushing into his enemies like a train.

:banghead: :banghead: :banghead:

OP
K

kehcorpz

Blue Belt
Reaction score
I was just asking a normal question. And a valid one, too.

Argus

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Alright, so I'm going to try to answer this in earnest:

The same goes for any martial art or endeavor.

I enjoy playing chess and shougi.

In the past, I used to play very defensively and had a pretty conservative and "solid" playing style, but I rarely won.

Now, I focus on taking advantage of my opponent's openings more than my own defense, and follow the mantra that "a good offense is a good defense." Even if I am forced to defend myself, I try my best never to make a fully defensive, "wasted" move -- I carefully consider all of my options; can I cover the threat while simultaneously presenting another threat? Can I threaten an even more highly valued piece of his instead, and cause him to defend?

If you miss the chance to defeat your opponent, you're giving him a free pass at defeating you. The more you neglect to take advantage of his openings and the opportunities he presents, the less successful you will be. The most skilled martial artists I have encountered across all arts are the ones who can find and take advantage of the most subtle openings that you don't even realize are there, without hesitation and in the very moment they become available.

Statements that you hear people make who are knowledgeable of martial arts, might very well be lost on you if you don't have the background and experience to put it into context and interpret their meaning. If you haven't done so already, I would encourage you to just go train, as everyone else here has mentioned. Go train anything. And stop trying to judge things that you have no basis of knowledge or experience to judge/interpret. Go with a humble mindset, do, learn, and grow, and you'll find your answers slowly, bit by bit, for yourself, and better than any of us can give you through inadequate words and descriptions on an internet forum.

Reactions: KPM

Kickboxer101

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
None of your questions are valid anymore because you're a lazy **** who's never going to achieve anything in martial arts because you're a cry baby who hasn't got the guts to train. Go take up knitting or something and stop coming on this board posting stupid questions. You don't even listen to the answers anyway so what's the point kid

SaulGoodman

Green Belt
Reaction score
image.jpeg

You do realize ip man 3 was a movie.. right?

Phobius

Black Belt
Reaction score

Your question is weird.

If you never attack, can you win? If a boxer never punches can he win? In theory it is possible, in reality not so much.

Are you asking if a Wing Chun need to attack first in order to win? Well in that case, of course not. Can a Wing Chun dude win by never attacking? Probably, try deflecting someones fist into a wall or something. Would I recommend it in a self defense scenario? Probably not but at least it is very much possible. I think in that case a fight would be over.

Another way to win a fight without attacking would be to videotape the guy assaulting you and stay defensive until the cops arrive, then say you had your friend videotape the whole thing how this guy unprovoked just started attacking you.

Or if your gender allows it, be a wife to someone. You win almost every single dispute without attacking once. Me being a husband to my wife have personal experience of such disputes.

OP
K

kehcorpz

Blue Belt
Reaction score
I think you dont get my point.

Of course you cannot win be defending only.

My question is will a wing chun get automatically get beaten up if he doesn't launch counter attacks every single time when the other person attacks?

Can he not just be forced to for example do a couple of defense blocks and move back a bit cause the attacker is launching heavy attacks or does he simply have to move forward into the attacker no matter what?

I watched the fight scenes from Ip Man in slow-mo and Ip Man is defending attacks and moving backwards a lot! The other guy is just throwing kicks and punches all the time. I think in this situation all he could do was block and move backwards.

Cause this is what the "teacher" basically said.

SaulGoodman

Green Belt
Reaction score

My question is will a wing chun get automatically get beaten up if he doesn't launch counter attacks every single time when the other person attacks?

Can he not just be forced to for example do a couple of defense blocks and move back a bit cause the attacker is launching heavy attacks or does he simply have to move forward into the attacker no matter what?

I watched the fight scenes from Ip Man in slow-mo and Ip Man is defending attacks and moving backwards a lot! The other guy is just throwing kicks and punches all the time. I think in this situation all he could do was block and move backwards.

You're f?ck@ng with us now aren't you...

Argus

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score

Now I'm starting to wonder if you're trolling. No disrespect intended if you aren't.

Ip Man is a movie. Movies are choreographed and the fight scenes that appear in them are for entertainment purposes. They are not realistic. I'm pretty sure you know this, hence my suspicion that you are trolling.

Also, there are no universal truths along the lines of "You should always(/never) absolutely do X 100% of the time without exception."

Everything is dependent on context, and most things have an appropriate context and an exception to every rule.

If you think that a given person made a such an unflexible statement and meant it the way that you are taking it, I doubt that you are correct in how you interpreted his meaning. He was likely talking in a general sense, and you are taking him in too literal a sense.

OP
K

kehcorpz

Blue Belt
Reaction score
I am not kidding.

Show me a video of a fight where a wing chun guy is able to fend off attacks and then wins.

In the vids I see they get run over and that's the end of the story.

And then the explanation is: Ah he was just standing here. He should have circled around him and so on.

Why does "just standing there" mean that you have to get your *** kicked? That's my point.

If the wing chun defense works then you should be able to "just stand there" and still fend off the attacks.

SaulGoodman

Green Belt
Reaction score
I am not kidding.

Show me a video of a fight where a wing chun guy is able to fend off attacks and then wins.

In the vids I see they get run over and that's the end of the story.

And then the explanation is: Ah he was just standing here. He should have circled around him and so on.

Why does "just standing there" mean that you have to get your *** kicked? That's my point.

If the wing chun defense works then you should be able to "just stand there" and still fend off the attacks.

Grow up and stop asking the same questions again and again. Your questions have been answered by people with collectively many years of training and I daresay real experience. If you're not trolling then you are incredibly naive and either need to go and get some hands on training or quit wasting people's time on this forum.

Kickboxer101

Master Black Belt
Reaction score

IP MAN IS A MOVIE IT'S NOT REAL

wckf92

Master of Arts
Reaction score

you do realize you are referencing A MOVIE right?!?!?!?!?

Do your parents know you have access to the internet?

Kickboxer101

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
you do realize you are referencing A MOVIE right?!?!?!?!?

Do your parents know you have access to the internet?
What? no way it's obviously real are you actually saying ip man didnt beat up 10 black belts in a second underground fight club during ww2, god next you'll be telling me daniel larusso didnt beat a bunch of black belts in a tournament after training for a month

Latest Discussions