This guy says Wing Chun sucks, what would you reply?

bezzerk

White Belt
Reaction score
Hello! I came across this guy's channel on y-tube. He rants about all kinds of MAs and says they don't work.
He also says Wing Chun is useless. He says that wing chun only works against other wing chun guys.
He also claims that the wing chun stance sucks and that by standing this way you invite being hit to the head.

Can you take a few mins and listen what he says and then comment on it?

What concerns me is that he says wing chun only works against other wing chun guys. This argument
might hold water. After all how are you supposed to pressure test your wing chun? The only way to test
it would be to go to a boxing class or a jiu jitsu class and then challenge the people there.

I doubt that wing chun schools invite fighters from other martial arts to visit them and to fight against their
students to see who'd win.

How do you guys know that your stuff really works? Do you pick fights every now and then to see if you can actually defend yourself?

Just think about it. What if you feel that you're good at wing chun and you can defend yourself against everybody in your school and you can do all this stuff, like fighting blind folded, and you really feel confident and then one day you get in a real fight and then you realize that the attacker acts totally different than your wing chun training buddy and suddenly none of the techniques you practiced can even be applied and you are totally shocked and freeze on the spot? That would be a real nightmare.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
There is a big gap between isolation and death matches.

Mabye somewhere in the middle?

geezer

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Wing Chun has strengths and weaknesses like any specialized martial art. But please... these two idiots? From their inane comments, it's obvious that they don't know anything about Wing Chun. If you are going to look for trash about at least dig up something by a credible MMA guy or grappler with legit critiques not these clowns! :confused:

Decent critiques have been made about Wing Chun pointing out it's lack of a well developed ground game, it's short steps and limited long-range mobility, the tendency of many groups to only train against WC with a resultant vulnerability to other systems such as boxing and MT, and finally, some people decry it's lack of a competitive form of "testing" like MMA, boxing, BJJ, etc. Some progressive WC people have tried to address these concerns and encourage cross training to produce very well rounded martial artists. I've also met some pretty tough characters in more "old-school" WC circles.

KPM

Senior Master
Reaction score
The guy in the video is an idiot. Why bother?

OP
B

bezzerk

White Belt
Reaction score
So it's an absolute fact that wing chun doesn't work well against boxers????

Do wing chun authorities recognize this or do they simply deny it?

But then how do you deal with this issue? If it's common knowledge then does this mean that any good wing chun instructor should be able to
offer solutions for this?

What if the teacher is 100% traditional and learned from old teachers with a good reputation? Then this would mean that his stuff is authentic
but still outdated.

I thought that the more traditional the better but if traditional wing chun has too many weaknesses for our times then this would mean that learning
authentic wing chun isn't good either.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
As a measure of the idiocy of the arguments these two fools make, I've marked Drop Bear's post as "agree". He and I don't agree often.

Geezer's spot on.

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
This guy says Wing Chun sucks, what would you reply?

I'd say, you're right..... then they would have that feeling of superiority they so much need, and then they would go away so I would not have to deal with them any longer and I'd have more time to train.

If you know it works what do you care what others say about it and why waste time arguing with them.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score

But then how do you deal with this issue? If it's common knowledge then does this mean that any good wing chun instructor should be able to

What if the teacher is 100% traditional and learned from old teachers with a good reputation? Then this would mean that his stuff is authentic
but still outdated.

I thought that the more traditional the better but if traditional wing chun has too many weaknesses for our times then this would mean that learning
Every style has weaknesses. Anyone who tells you different is either foolish or lying.

OP
B

bezzerk

White Belt
Reaction score
To me it's simply unsettling when I see or read things like wing chun is useless cause then I think what if they're right?
This scares me.

Flying Crane

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
To me it's simply unsettling when I see or read things like wing chun is useless cause then I think what if they're right?
This scares me.
Then training in martial arts is not for you. You don't have the stomach for it. Find something else to do.

That's not meant as an insult. Martial arts are not for everybody. That is ok.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score

but still outdated.

Ok. Ultimately training in isolation does not do you any favors. The more people knowlege and skill you have access to the better you will become as a martial artist.

So lets compare chun to boxing. I can go to a boxing gym and spar all their guys. Or do classes and gain all their knowlege. Or train with experts. I can spar the coach.

If I towel up everybody in the room. I will give my skill set to those guys. If they towel me up they give the skill set to me.

It is that social dynamic that gives those martial arts the advantage. Because It makes everybody better.

Wing chun does not have that generally. And stagnates because of it.

Easy fix.

Get out more.

OP
B

bezzerk

White Belt
Reaction score
But I want to learn something. But at the same time I want to learn something which really works.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
As a measure of the idiocy of the arguments these two fools make, I've marked Drop Bear's post as "agree". He and I don't agree often.

Geezer's spot on.

I am sure I will fix that.

OP
B

bezzerk

White Belt
Reaction score
Wing chun does not have that generally. And stagnates because of it.

This sucks.

But how is this supposed to work? I mean you can't just go to other schools and participate in a few classes to exchange some knowledge.
I don't think that the teachers want stuff like that. This would disrupt everything if every few weeks a guest comes in to do some sparring.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
This sucks.

But how is this supposed to work? I mean you can't just go to other schools and participate in a few classes to exchange some knowledge.
I don't think that the teachers want stuff like that. This would disrupt everything if every few weeks a guest comes in to do some sparring.

doest disrupt us. Have an open mat sparring day.

OP
B

bezzerk

White Belt
Reaction score
That's good but I doubt that all schools do this.

What if you find no school which does this?

Imagine the teacher allows other students to come in and then his students always get beaten up

then after a while they'd leave and join the other school. That's taking a huge financial risk for the teacher.

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
This scares me.
When I was 11 years old, my brother in law taught me an open hand form and a staff form. One day I got into a fight and I didn't know how to use what I had learned. I asked my brother in law. He stopped teaching me any more forms and forced me to train "1 step 3 punches" for the next 3 years. Many years later, I found out that the WC "chain punches" is very similar to what I did in those 3 years.

If your fists can fly so fast toward your opponent's face one after another, what else do you need?

yak sao

Senior Master
Reaction score
WC, from its beginning, was developed to fight against other styles of fighting. Initially this was probably restricted to hung ga, long fist systems and the like.

Now fast forward a century or two.
In order for WC to stay true to the spirit of its origins, we need to continue....or for some of us, maybe even resurrect this tradition.

Pressure test. If someone in your WC group has previous MA experience, pick his brain , work with him every chance you get....use him for the valuable resource he is.
If you don't have anyone in your group that fits that description, then go out and find someone. Find a buddy who likes to wrestle or box or kick and glove up and pressure test.
Don't just practice Martial incest. ....not a pretty sight.

Last edited:

Latest Discussions