Wing chun only works when you attack???

Argus

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
I am not kidding.

Show me a video of a fight where a wing chun guy is able to fend off attacks and then wins.

In the vids I see they get run over and that's the end of the story.

And then the explanation is: Ah he was just standing here. He should have circled around him and so on.

Why does "just standing there" mean that you have to get your *** kicked? That's my point.

If the wing chun defense works then you should be able to "just stand there" and still fend off the attacks.

Okay, let's go with this instead:

Wing Chun is BS and doesn't work. Youtube proves this, and we can't prove differently. Except for Donnie Yen, who obviously has good WC, as demonstrated by the Ip Man movies.

Therefore, you should either go learn from Donnie Yen, or not practice Wing Chun.

:D

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I heard this from a wing chun instructor in a video.

Is this true? I mean is this official wing chun philosophy?

If this is really correct and UNLESS you attack at the right time and intercept your enemy
and in case you miss this window of opportunity you get beaten up then this means that wing
chun is really very limited.

I mean what sense does this even make?!

For example if a wing chun guy only has a chance of winning against somebody else by being
able to destroy him before the fight really starts then this means that the wing chun defense sucks.

This is like saying boxing only works if you attack. A boxer can also simply keep the distance and not
attack but his defense still works and protects him.

But obviously in wing chun this is not the case otherwise people wouldn't always say "he just stood there"
when a wing chun guy gets beaten up.

Take IP Man 3 for example. Ip Man doesn't always attack like a madman he also deflects punches. He's not
always rushing into his enemies like a train.
Actually, if you understood ANY martial art, you'd understand this. It's simple. It's true of WC and every other art (including boxing) when you're talking about the offensive techniques. I'd explain more, but it would be a waste of breath.

JPinAZ

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Kehcorpz, maybe it would help you understand the replies better and find some answers for yourself if you took a few classes. Where did you say you live? I'm sure someone here can help find a school near you that will allow you to take some trial classes or pay month-to-month until you decide if it's right for you.

anerlich

Brown Belt
Reaction score
John Danaher today made an excellent post on Facebook about proactive and reactive fighters, mainly to do with Jiu Jitsu of course, but also discussing early Mike Tyson.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Ok. Here is an idea.

There is no defence.
There is attack.
And counter attack.

Juany118

Senior Master
Reaction score
62920142008105.jpg

JP3

Master Black Belt
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I was just asking a normal question. And a valid one, too.
...um... not so much, no.

I don't practice WC at all. I think it's cool to do, and worth training in, but what I think you are missing is that was: A) a training philosophy, or a paradigm, of the video taped instructor, which may or may not be valid for the entire spectrum of all things WC; or B) it might just be there to wind people up, either to make money, boost prestige, etc.

As stated above. Get in a school and do it yourself. Take in knowledge in time mattered in years, not days, then evaluate your initial post for yourself.

OP
K

kehcorpz

Blue Belt
Reaction score
I do not have years to do a martial art only to realize that it sucks. I need to know what's good and what's not good ASAP!

I need to figure this out somehow.

Touch Of Death

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Actually I would say it was true of any art. If you aren't aware, and some guy walks up and kicks you in the back of the head, right away, you are on the defensive. ;)

Juany118

Senior Master
Reaction score
I do not have years to do a martial art only to realize that it sucks. I need to know what's good and what's not good ASAP!

The problem is we have all told you that, ultimately no MA is inherently superior to another. What matters is simply...

1. Does the art "feel right" to you. Meaning does it feel comfortable to you and does its method fits with your personal mind set.
2. The instructor. Are they knowledgeable and does their teaching methods work for you.

We can't help you with these two things and the only way you will ever find out is if you go out your door, walk in the door to a school, and try it.

Nobody Important

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score

You need to realize & accept no matter how good you are that you'll get hit, often. It isn't like the movies. Real fighting is about who can withstand the most punishment & come out on top or dish out the most punishment as quick as possible. No simple magic moves, just realistic goal oriented training. None of which will be found on YouTube

Juany118

Senior Master
Reaction score
You need to realize & accept no matter how good you are that you'll get hit, often. It isn't like the movies. Real fighting is about who can withstand the most punishment & come out on top or dish out the most punishment as quick as possible. No simple magic moves, just realistic goal oriented training. None of which will be found on YouTube

I tend to say "there is no secret sauce." You will never find a legitimate Martial Art that doesn't share some move or technique with another Art. The trick is to find the one whose combination of techniques "feels right" and a teacher whose style of teaching fits not only your purpose but your style of learning.

Touch Of Death

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Unless, of course, somebody sneaks and puts that on YouTube. :)

Kickboxer101

Master Black Belt
Reaction score

But you've got time to whine on the Internet the amount of time you've been on this board you could've tried a number of Martial arts but you're just sat down watching stupid videos

Phobius

Black Belt
Reaction score

If you had started training you would not have wasted several months already on this quest of yours.

Problem is not in the arts most of the times, problem is the one practising it. In your case you think you can know so much that even if you do attend class you would probably not learn anything at all. Because of this, you can not become a real true martial artist.

Also you fail to realize that it would not have mattered had you started training a bad martial art, as long as it did not damage your knees or something. Reason being that you, if being true to yourself and always testing yourself and trying to be better, would have found your own path and made skills be something that works for you.

Now however if you just want to mimic videos, or your teacher should you someday get one, you will never become a real martial artist. There is no mimic in fighting so stop trying to think it should be there in your art. Copying your teacher or video down to every detail is failing to understand what message is being conveyed and what skill is needed to be taught. So chase these videos of yours and try to figure out more but ironically the more you chase your "truth" the further away from your goals will you be.

Danny T

Senior Master
Reaction score

I don't think you are willing for ASAP.
Problem is you don't what to take the time needed to learn it 'As Soon As Possible'.
You want it immediately and without putting in any real effort on your part to actually have the skills.

Kickboxer101

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
If you had started training you would not have wasted several months already on this quest of yours.

Problem is not in the arts most of the times, problem is the one practising it. In your case you think you can know so much that even if you do attend class you would probably not learn anything at all. Because of this, you can not become a real true martial artist.

Also you fail to realize that it would not have mattered had you started training a bad martial art, as long as it did not damage your knees or something. Reason being that you, if being true to yourself and always testing yourself and trying to be better, would have found your own path and made skills be something that works for you.

Now however if you just want to mimic videos, or your teacher should you someday get one, you will never become a real martial artist. There is no mimic in fighting so stop trying to think it should be there in your art. Copying your teacher or video down to every detail is failing to understand what message is being conveyed and what skill is needed to be taught. So chase these videos of yours and try to figure out more but ironically the more you chase your "truth" the further away from your goals will you be.

I think the best way to describe it is Bruce lees cup theory this guys cup if full already so he can't learn anything he thinks he knows everything already. That and he's lazy **** lol.

The best way I saw it explained which came into my mind reading your comment was the movie forbidden kingdom where jackie chans training this Kung fu fan. The kids talking about all the awesome moves he's seen in movies and video games and chan is pouring a drink for him and starts overflowing it the kid says "hey stop the cups full" jackie chan says "exactly how can I add more when there's no more space how can I teach you Kung fu when you already know so much" sums up this guy perfectly

mograph

Master of Arts
Reaction score
You will never understand. Give up. Go away. You are out of your element. This is not for you. You will never ever ever be successful in this. Stop wasting your time.
Oh, you and your Jedi mind tricks. :D

Last edited:

mograph

Master of Arts
Reaction score
WC doesn't suck.

Help us out here. Could you describe the qualities of a martial art that doesn't suck?