This guy says Wing Chun sucks, what would you reply?

Flying Crane

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
In the Longfist style I practice (YMAA) there are I think literally no turning kicks/roundhouses - I come from an ITF TKD background and I asked about it specifically - there is a type of quarter the angle (in terms of knee angle in relation to the ground) kick, but it is designed to be done upwards at the base of the rib cage.

Then again, certainly rear leg roundhouses expose the groin for a good bit, and in the style there seems to be a major emphasis on always protecting that area.
As I get older, I am less and less a fan of the roundhouse kick. But that's just me.

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
In the Longfist style I practice (YMAA) there are I think literally no turning kicks/roundhouses - I come from an ITF TKD background and I asked about it specifically - there is a type of quarter the angle (in terms of knee angle in relation to the ground) kick, but it is designed to be done upwards at the base of the rib cage.

Then again, certainly rear leg roundhouses expose the groin for a good bit, and in the style there seems to be a major emphasis on always protecting that area.

In the Shaolin Long Fist Style I use to practice there were roundhouse kicks

As I get older, I am less and less a fan of the roundhouse kick. But that's just me.

agreed

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
certainly rear leg roundhouses expose the groin for a good bit, and in the style there seems to be a major emphasis on always protecting that area.
The back leg kick can be set up by the leading leg kick just like the jab, cross combo. When you and your opponent both have right leg forward (uniform stance), the moment that your opponent switches side and moves back, the moment that your back leg round house can go toward his belly.

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
But it can be good for "health". 60 roundhouse kicks for each leg on heavy bag can be a good work out. Both roundhouse kick and hay-maker require body rotation. IMO, anything that require the whole body workout can be good.

Flying Crane

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
But it can be good for "health". 60 roundhouse kicks for each leg on heavy bag can be a good work out. Both roundhouse kick and hay-maker require body rotation. IMO, anything that require the whole body workout can be good.

They aren't good for your hips if they go above waist level. And I don't like 'em.

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
It's common to see people get kicked in groin when performing roundhouse kicks.

KabutoKouji

Green Belt
Reaction score
The back leg kick can be set up by the leading leg kick just like the jab, cross combo. When you and your opponent both have right leg forward (uniform stance), the moment that your opponent switches side and moves back, the moment that your back leg round house can go toward his belly.
interesting

KabutoKouji

Green Belt
Reaction score
They aren't good for your hips if they go above waist level. And I don't like 'em.

yeah I'm 39 now and those 3 years of TKD I did a decade ago certainly didn't do my hips and lower back any favours, but being the idiot I am, I can never resist trying to kick high once again when I'm warmed up and you feel great, then I pay for it the next day :p

KabutoKouji

Green Belt
Reaction score

yeah they are very good exercise, however fully extending turning kicks into the air is not great for your knees at all IMO, hyperextension on the sides of the knee tendon things (that's as scientific as I can get )

KabutoKouji

Green Belt
Reaction score
I actually got groin strain myself from TKD haha - from constantly practicing with the knee up and jumping up and down the dojang - seriously I had to wear a groin strap thing - doctor said it would herniate if I didn't calm down :shamefullyembarrased:

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
QUOTE="gpseymour, post: 1804907, member: 27826"]Bursitis in my hip. That is all.

Gerry Seymour
Shojin-Ryu, Nihon Goshin Aikido[/QUOTE]
When you hip gives you problem have someone punch you in the face without gloves. That should clear up the bursitis right away.

wingchun100

Senior Master
Reaction score
WC, from its beginning, was developed to fight against other styles of fighting. Initially this was probably restricted to hung ga, long fist systems and the like.

Now fast forward a century or two.
In order for WC to stay true to the spirit of its origins, we need to continue....or for some of us, maybe even resurrect this tradition.

Pressure test. If someone in your WC group has previous MA experience, pick his brain , work with him every chance you get....use him for the valuable resource he is.
If you don't have anyone in your group that fits that description, then go out and find someone. Find a buddy who likes to wrestle or box or kick and glove up and pressure test.
Don't just practice Martial incest. ....not a pretty sight.

The gym where I might start my wing chun class is also host to an MMA class. I am in contact with the guys in that club to mix it up a bit, but in a "let's help each other out" way, not trying to prove what I do is better.

wayfaring

Green Belt
Reaction score
If Mutt and Jeff have something to say maybe they can get off the chairs and demo something. Or as Eric said out of mum's basement.

I will say this is a typical mindset of those Bullshido forums, which I used to post on but haven't been around for a few years. They basically are mostly people who train the public classes at a MMA school. So they center on the only arts as being good are Muy Thai for striking, and a combination of wrestling and BJJ for ground.

Anything else they rail on. I usually tell them to go take a karate lesson from Steven Wonderboy Thompson.

Latest Discussions