Bruce Tegners books

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I was at a half price book store this past weekend and found this book called - Bruce Tegner complete book of self defense it was published in 1963 and it is funny that alot of stuff in there I still see people do today but they call it there own way of doing things. I find his books to be a good read and alot of info. in regards to personal protection of that era. Anybody else ever read his stuff?

Sukerkin

Have the courage to speak softly
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I'm currently wracking my brain as I know his name and I can't place where I have come across it :eek:. If I go to the library and find we have one of his books on the Martial Arts shelf I shall be most embarassed :lol:.

jarrod

Senior Master
Reaction score
bruce tegner was well ahead of his time. the idea of cross training is nothing new. i also have a book called "playboy's book of self-defense" or something like that, actually published by playboy magazine back in the '70s. the main idea of it was don't grapple with a wrestler & don't box a boxer.

jf

ackks10

Purple Belt
Reaction score
that's really crazy that you bring his name up,the other day i was talking about him to someone,and yes i remember him, he had alot of books back then,lets see there was Bruce Tegners book on karate,judo,kung-fu and i think he had one about savate (french foot fighting) ,i know this is big, sorry
tegner.jpg
272_1_lrg.jpg

Deaf Smith

Master of Arts
Reaction score
To be honest along time ago I had a few of his books. Kind of outdated and, well, very basic stuff (to me at least.) It was all kind of quaint. I'm sure if you had no training in self-defense they at least got you interested in it.

If you guys want to go back and see how people dressed in England in the 70s, read "Book of Self-Defense" by Honor Blackman. Happly I have a copy and she did know Judo! But like Bruce, it's all kind of quaint.

Deaf

Sukerkin

Have the courage to speak softly
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Mmm ... Honor Blackman ... sorry, got distracted there :lol:.

tshadowchaser

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I have a couple of Mr. Tegners books still. I can remember reading the first one I picked up and then me and a couple friends going out and trying the moves. A couple of us stayed in the arts or should I say studied when the oppertunity arrived. Botj made it to Black Belt
They where good books and opened the eyes of many to the martial arts

ackks10

Purple Belt
Reaction score
I have a couple of Mr. Tegners books still. I can remember reading the first one I picked up and then me and a couple friends going out and trying the moves. A couple of us stayed in the arts or should I say studied when the oppertunity arrived. Botj made it to Black Belt
They where good books and opened the eyes of many to the martial arts

you are 100,percent right, i was going to say the same thing, because alot of us did the same thing back then,also do you remember inside of comic books,they had this ad for karate, and it had a picture (drawing) of this guy doing this high kick, to me back then it was cool ,i found these wow!! talk about going back in time
Dante-dim-mak2tn.gif
WallaceReumann1tn.gif
MastersKungFutn.gif

UniversalKarate1tn.gif

BrandonLucas

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
I could be mistaken here, but is that not the book that Daniel-san was reading in Karate Kid?

"You learn Karate from book?"

Brother John

Senior Master
Reaction score
I was at a half price book store this past weekend and found this book called - Bruce Tegner complete book of self defense it was published in 1963 and it is funny that alot of stuff in there I still see people do today but they call it there own way of doing things. I find his books to be a good read and alot of info. in regards to personal protection of that era. Anybody else ever read his stuff?

I used to have a collection of his works. They're coolish info. Mostly I had them for the novelty of it all. He presented things in such a clear & simple way. Nothing that'd OPEN your eyes or anything, but good solid fundamental.....and generic.....stuff.

Darn that Ex-wife for throwing THAT box in the trash!
I've collected a few of his works again.....still on the lookout for more.

Your Brother
John

Babook

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
I have some of his books and I learned only one thing from them.

YOU CAN'T LEARN MARTIAL ARTS FROM BOOKS

zDom

Senior Master
Reaction score
I have some of his books and I learned only one thing from them.

YOU CAN'T LEARN MARTIAL ARTS FROM BOOKS

Yea I learned the same thing :)

A couple of months ago I dug out an old Bruce book that I borrowed from my Dad when I was a kid in the hopes I could learn how to fight from it.

Was kind of neat to see it again from the perspective of having trained in martial arts for nearly 20 years :)

Then again, maybe I DID pick up a few things. I did once manage a throw on a feller before training martial arts ...

kidswarrior

Senior Master
Reaction score
I have one of Tegner's books still, too. It's a good reference for some of the basics--which I find I never have too many of (references, that is).

Far as being out of date (he's wearing bell bottoms! I miss the old days sometimes): Fairbairn and Applegate are pioneers, too, and I have several of their works. I get something out of all of them.

YoungMan

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Bruce Tegner, I think, learned just enough to write a book about basic techniques. Back in those days, when few Westerners knew karate, that made him an expert. I did read his books because at the time it's all that was available.
One of those guys that made you think "whatever happened to him?"