Best of the Best

Daniel Sullivan

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Okay, I tried to search under the name but nothing came up. Even though something was posted about this movie about two or three months back. Well, after hunting for it, I finally found it at the bargain price of 12 dollars new. Got home yesterday and my kids and I watched it.

Very eighties, but since it was made in 1989, I can't hold that against it. I instantly recognized the gent playing the SK team's coach as Hee Il Cho, which I would not have at the time the movie came out. Being a car nut, I recognized the late eighties Firebirds being produced at the factory before any nose or tail was attached and caught the one Camaro that was slipped in.

Overall, it was a good movie of that era and the fighting was quite good. It was a bit cheesy at times and the ending was a bit unrealistic, but that was the era.

Daniel

CDKJudoka

Purple Belt
Reaction score
I thought the older Rhee brother was the coach of the Korean team?

EDIT:My mistake, KJN Cho was the Korean Coach and Simon Rhee was the guy with the eye patch.

ATC

Senior Master
Reaction score
Great movie, a classic. You know they made a 2 and a 3. Both were terrible but the original was not bad for its time.

I liked how they were the USA Karate team, and all had different disciplines but Phillip were pure TKD, along with the Simon and Korean team.

My kids even loved this movie and they are only 9 and 10. I think they were 7 and 8 when they first saw it.

OP
D

Daniel Sullivan

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I knew that there was a 2, didn't know about a 3. Were they the same cast as the first?

I had enough trouble finding 1, so I'm not inclined to go hunting for 2 & 3.

Daniel

davedaylight

White Belt
Reaction score
man it is forever since I saw that movie last, but ya it definitely is a classic. I remember I was impressed with the martial arts in the movie, that it seemed more like real martial arts as opposed to "hollywood martial arts" that you'd find in other movies of that era. at least that's what I recall, it's been probably 12-15 years since I saw that movie last, I think I'll have to find it and see if it's still as good as I remember, lol. ya I also remember the 2nd & 3rd, don't think I ever saw the 4th--but neither of them were as good as the first.

Hollywood1340

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Phillip Rhee is one of the most impressive martial artists I've ever seen on screen. Over the credits of the 4th move Phillip does an awesome demonstration of Hapkido.

BrandonLucas

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
That movie was awesome. Not just for its time. But awesome all around.

Sure, it was cheesy, but what movie in the 80's wasn't? And sure, the acting was bad...but again, what movie in the 80's didn't have that?

2 and 3 were pretty lame...2 had Wayne Newton as the villain, if that lets you know anything, and 3 was just something out of left field. 2 actually kept Phillip Rhee and Eric Roberts...and briefly, Chris Penn, but he was killed off rather early in that one. 3 only kept Phillip Rhee, but did a great job in bringing Gina Gershon (sp?) in the cast...doesn't really matter how bad the plot for that one is, just having her in the movie makes it all better...

But I didn't know there was a 4th movie. I'll have to look that up when I get home.

As far as the original goes, it's one of the greatest movies of all time.

Ever.

Twin Fist

Grandmaster
Reaction score
ah best of the best....

the fight between tommy lee and dae han is perhaps the best pure TKD fight ever on film.

POP IT TOMMY......POP IT

and I liked BoB II, the gladiator format was fun.

BrandonLucas

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
I whole-heartedly agree...that fight was pure TKD, and a beautiful sight to behold.

And I still think that's how tournements should look.

OP
D

Daniel Sullivan

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Now, for those who have competed at any high level, would they allow a competitor to continue with his arm in a sling, as the character, Alex did?

Daniel

CDKJudoka

Purple Belt
Reaction score
ah best of the best....

the fight between tommy lee and dae han is perhaps the best pure TKD fight ever on film.

POP IT TOMMY......POP IT

and I liked BoB II, the gladiator format was fun.

That is just brother fighting brother... MAN, and it is wrong!!!

j/k

BrandonLucas

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
the question is, how can you get tournaments to look like that?

If I had the financial backing, it would be on like neckbone.

But that's a great question...and I think it really depends on the people running the tournements.

Miles

Senior Master
Reaction score
That is a classic. I have 1 & 2 but on vcr tapes. Ugh!!

Speaking of classics, ever see the movie, "Fighting Black Kings" about some kyokushinkai fighters from NY going to Japan? I've been searching for that movie for years.

elder999

El Oso de Dios!
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
i have seen it

interesting movie, made kukoshinkai seem like the ultimate badasses

I own it-Willie Williams and all of those guys were my sempai, back when I was like 12 or 15....:lol:

Dig those afros, too. :eek: :jaw-dropping:
(Pretty sure Netflix has it,it's usually available on eBay, and it's probably on Amazon.)

Ya mean kyokushinkai aren't the ultimate badasses?:lol:

Latest Discussions