Ita

Daniel Sullivan

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Granfire and Karatemom, you both are ITA, so you can probably best answer this, but I'll take an answer from anyone.

A discussion on the hapkido forum involved GM Pelligrini and during the course of the discussion, I checked out his website and saw that he was linked to the ITA. On the other hand, I see the adds in TKDTimes for the ITA; the one mentioning the Ho Am tigers, but no mention of GM Pelligrini.

Is that the one, the other or both the same ITA that you are both involved in, or is there more than one, like the ITF?

What can you tell me about it and how is it different from KKW?

Not trying to stir anything up; just curious. Also, I tend to be more interested in first information from actual members than promotional material.

Thanks in advance,

Daniel

dancingalone

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I'm neither Granfire nor karatemom, but I can tell you the ITA Mr. Pelligrini is involved with is an entirely different entity. I believe his group is the Independent TKD Association. The Ho-Am people's org is the International TKD Alliance.

I think the Ho-Am leaders are break-offs from the infamous ATA, and they have their own material which they teach. Mr. Pellegrini's association seems to be more of a group for martial arts orphans which want to affiliate with a national group yet still have tight control over their curriculum.

IcemanSK

El Conquistador nim!
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I'm neither Granfire nor karatemom, but I can tell you the ITA Mr. Pelligrini is involved with is an entirely different entity. I believe his group is the Independent TKD Association. The Ho-Am people's org is the International TKD Alliance.

I think the Ho-Am leaders are break-offs from the infamous ATA, and they have their own material which they teach. Mr. Pellegrini's association seems to be more of a group for martial arts orphans which want to affiliate with a national group yet still have tight control over their curriculum.

That's my understanding as well.

granfire

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
yes, Alliance here.

It is a pretty good concept, though I am amazed anybody can get anything from the website ;) It has gotten better but it could be better.

OP
D

Daniel Sullivan

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
yes, Alliance here.

It is a pretty good concept, though I am amazed anybody can get anything from the website ;) It has gotten better but it could be better.
Thank you. Now, here are some questions for you.

1. Is the ITA an offshoot of the ATA as was mentioned earlier?

2. How does ITA curriculum differ from ATA or KKW curriculum?

3. Does the ITA have a sport/competition rule set of its own or does it comform to either ITF, ATA or WTF style sparring rules? Do they keep their tourament curcuit closed with specific rules as the ATA?

4. Is the ITA more traditional or more modern in its approach and feel?

5. What is the ranking system like (# of belts, colors) and do they do the whole 'recommended/decided' thing?

6. And I just have to ask: if the ITA is an ATA offshoot, do you use the camo belt in your progression?

7. Does the ITA promote itself as a bolt on or stand alone, like CHKD does, or is it an entirely self contained org, as the Kukkiwon and the ATA?

My thanks in advance!

Daniel

granfire

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Thank you. Now, here are some questions for you.

1. Is the ITA an offshoot of the ATA as was mentioned earlier?

2. How does ITA curriculum differ from ATA or KKW curriculum?

3. Does the ITA have a sport/competition rule set of its own or does it comform to either ITF, ATA or WTF style sparring rules? Do they keep their tourament curcuit closed with specific rules as the ATA?

4. Is the ITA more traditional or more modern in its approach and feel?

5. What is the ranking system like (# of belts, colors) and do they do the whole 'recommended/decided' thing?

6. And I just have to ask: if the ITA is an ATA offshoot, do you use the camo belt in your progression?

7. Does the ITA promote itself as a bolt on or stand alone, like CHKD does, or is it an entirely self contained org, as the Kukkiwon and the ATA?

My thanks in advance!

Daniel

I am not a great historian, but as I understand ITA lineage reaches to the ITF via ATA.

I am not familiar with specific rules of the other organizations. Tournament sparring varries a bit from in class and rank test sparring, no punches to the head, legal target is belt up, no back, but you can kick to the head gear.

As far as I know the ITA considers itself to be self contained, no greater connections to Korea or other organizations.

We do not have a camo belt, 7 colors in all, white, yellow and from green, blue, brown and red we have a Senior level (black stripe). Black belts go from degree (dan) level 1-4, previously it used to be 3, probationary, decided and senior.
I consider the ITA a good mix of traditional and modern. It promotes 7 core tenets and academic progress for the juniors, self defense elements and such.

If you are interested, you can check out my forum (link in my signature) some members there have been with the ITA since when it was USTA and can tell you a great deal more, even how it stacks up to 'those other guys'.

And of course I'll be happy to tell you all I can. (and you don't have to be ITA to participate in the discussion)

OP
D

Daniel Sullivan

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I like the fact that there are only seven colored belts, and I assume eight in total if you include black.

The sparring rules sound like Olympic sparring rules, though in WTF tournament, the face is legal (ouch!).

I tried to rep you, but I need to rep others first :(

Daniel

dancingalone

Grandmaster
Reaction score
The ITA seems to be pretty successful in the southern US. I think they are strong in Alabama, and there's even an affiliated studio in my city in Texas. I like the link to Hanmudo they have. I don't like the changes they have made to the Chang Hon forms in their system.

granfire

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
The ITA is a Southern thing pretty much, some schools in Texas, even some on the West Coast.

The changes to the forms, lol, yes, that was an interesting transition. Some like them, some hate them. They have some merrit and some draw backs, but I guess that's no different than other forms.

karatemom

Green Belt
Reaction score
I haven't been on in a while. Yeah, Alabama isn't it funny both of us (granfire and me) are in AL. One of our founders/Grand Masters opened his first school in AL and my DH was in college at the time and took classes from him (DH didn't stick with it though). At that time (early 80's) it was US TKD. Also the Ho-Am (or Tiger Rock) forms we have were modified from the Chang Hun forms (there are a few differences). It's my understanding that they adapted the forms so that more people could participate. The atmosphere is a little more accepting/less militant than it was in the 80's.
You can read more about the ITA (International Taekwondo Alliance) at www.itaonline.com. I am not instructor level like granfire and she's been there longer than me - most of my knowledge comes from people who have been in it a long time (some of them 15-20 yrs). One thing I do like about the ITA is their instructors have background checks, they have set standards that all schools are (supposed) to adhere to. This year they decided to go the franchise route and copyright everything and raise fees
for school owners which in this economy drove some schools out of business - not the best time to make this type of business move in my opinion. However they may have been trying to also "weed" out some schools that were just passing folks cause they paid - again just my opinion but you could see a difference between the schools in the level of training - esp. in our local are. I'm planning on sticking with ITA.

firerex

Orange Belt
Reaction score
hey granfire and karatemom are y'all going to be at the international tournament in june or july this summer? if so what rank are y'all? and dancingalone which school do u go to since im from the katy tae kwon do academy under pollard and sometimes conway, if you know much about the Texas ITA you know conway :)

dancingalone

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Hi, Firerex. I'm not an ITA person, but my niece was a former member before she had some difficulties with an assistant instructor in her school. She's now an ATA member along with her younger brother, and she enjoys it. Truthfully, the raw technique in both ITA and ATA schools seem very similar, which makes sense given their common roots. She has very little trouble switching systems, aside from learning the new forms, one steps, etc.

Good luck with your training!

granfire

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
hey granfire and karatemom are y'all going to be at the international tournament in june or july this summer? if so what rank are y'all? and dancingalone which school do u go to since im from the katy tae kwon do academy under pollard and sometimes conway, if you know much about the Texas ITA you know conway :)

I have no idea if I can make the national. I am going to have some family business to take care off in the summer and I have no idea yet when the tournament is, or when I have to be present.

I am a 2degree L3 Black, but do not ask me about my form, it has been about a year since I got to seriously work out and I had just gotten my new rank (it's a long story...).

karatemom

Green Belt
Reaction score
Depends on where it's at. I had heard it was going to be in Bham if that's the case then yes I will definitely be there. Currently I'm a 1st degree level 2 black belt but in April I will test for 1st degree level 3 which is most likely what I would be if the Nat'l tournament is in June or July.
I would also be in the vip category (ages 35 and up).

karatemom

Green Belt
Reaction score

I competed against somebody from TX in Mobile, AL last April (red belt sr. level). I want to say it was Katy TKD - that name sounds familiar.

karatemom

Green Belt
Reaction score
I had a broken toe last summer, from the Regional Tournament here in June, remember?

07100811371.jpg

That's how I found this forum. :) Since we are in diff. regions not sure how that worked out last year - the Nat'l one was in Chatanooga in Oct. - didn't go wasn't cleared by my Dr. to spar till after the tourn.

Last edited:

karatemom

Green Belt
Reaction score
What? no comments on my lovely toe picture post surgery (July 2008). :p

Latest Discussions