Best of the Best

chrispillertkd

Senior Master
Reaction score
That is a classic. I have 1 & 2 but on vcr tapes. Ugh!!

I gave up on the BoB franchise after number two. The first movie was very good (for a MA flick). I'm still waiting for someone to top Kurosawa's Seven Samurai but I doubt if it will ever happen.

Speaking of classics, ever see the movie, "Fighting Black Kings" about some kyokushinkai fighters from NY going to Japan? I've been searching for that movie for years.

Great flick. I love the documentary about the American and Japanese fighters. Some names that appear in the film are still around in the Kyokushin world, I think. IIRC, isn't Ninomiya the founder of Eshin Ryu and the Sabaki Challenge in there?

Pax,

Chris

Jimi

Black Belt
Reaction score
Speaking of classics, ever see the movie, "Fighting Black Kings" about some kyokushinkai fighters from NY going to Japan? I've been searching for that movie for years.

I have an old VHS copy of "Fighting Black Kings" & it is a great Doc. film. Not what most in the MA's like to see, but I enjoyed the H#11 out of it. Still have it buried in a box. Now I will go dig it out so when my wife comes home from work she will look at the TV and insist "What in the world are you watching?" LOL. SEE WHAT YOU DID!? (Kidding) Thanks for the flashback. PEACE

Miles

Senior Master
Reaction score
Sorry (but not really) about the thread drift.

I think I'm going to be doing a little eBaying when I get done with my workout tonight.....:)

Laurentkd

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I've thought about naming a school "best of the best taekwondo"
because of the movie, and because we would be the best ;)
but afraid it would make me look like an ego-maniac

searcher

Senior Master
Reaction score
Great movie w/ superb training sequences, which are my favorite parts of any movie.

It is a must own for any MAist.

StuartA

Black Belt
Reaction score
One of the best Martial Art movie ever made.

Ditto.. and definatly the best TKD film and one of my favorite (MA) films (1 that is). I saw up to 3.. (2 was so so, 3 was terrible), never saw 4!

Stuart

Ps. Now, has anyone every seen LA Streetfighter? Its older than best of the Best and also has Phillip Rhee is a (not main) role. Ive been looking for it ever since I saw it in the 80's

StuartA

Black Belt
Reaction score
Ps. Now, has anyone every seen LA Streetfighter? Its older than best of the Best and also has Phillip Rhee is a (not main) role. Ive been looking for it ever since I saw it in the 80's
Apologies for quoting myself, but I'm a happy man.. I've been looking for this film for about 20 years and finally found one on ebay :) so i brought it! Its also on Amazon.com and was a great film (not sure how its dated, but we shall see - some old martial art films looked great in the day, but aweful years later).

Stuart

GBlues

Purple Belt
Reaction score
"Grab him like a toilet seat TOMMY!!!" LOL! Yeah I love Best of the Best. Eric Roberts became one of my favorite actors because of that movie. He has another movie called 'The Maestro' or 'The Master' really good fencing movie. Anyways, I've seen 2 & 3, I stopped watching after 3 it does get kind of stupid, but I thought 2 was good. Anyways, if anybody knows where to get that film 'The Maestro' I would love to get it. Been hard to find.

StuartA

Black Belt
Reaction score
I own it-Willie Williams and all of those guys were my sempai, back when I was like 12 or 15....:lol:
Willie Williams!! I have him on an old video fighting a bear - thats a live bear btw!

I think I may have seen that film as well Fighting Black Kings (not 100% sure) was it a documentry?. I dsictincly recall seeing a KK documentry about some fightings trying thier skills in Japan.

Stuart

jim777

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Willie Williams!! I have him on an old video fighting a bear - thats a live bear btw!

I think I may have seen that film as well Fighting Black Kings (not 100% sure) was it a documentry?. I dsictincly recall seeing a KK documentry about some fightings trying thier skills in Japan.

Stuart

It was in made around the time of the first Kyokushin World Championships held in Japan in '75. Most (maybe all?) of the Black Kings were American, and studied under Tadashi Nakamura at the North American Honbu in NYC. Some of those fighters left the Kyokushinkai when Nakamura resigned and started Seido Juku in '76, others stayed on.

astrobiologist

Brown Belt
Reaction score
My mother's ex bought me Best of the Best on DVD last X-mas. He said all he did was go online and order it. I'm not sure why it's so hard to find. Course I don't know what he paid for it. But he got me BoB, Drunken Master, Shaolin Drunken Monk, and Tai Chi Master all at one shot.

When I watched BoB and BoB II as a kid I remember really being into them. They're still cool to watch, but they are definitely cheesy!

matt.m

Senior Master
Reaction score
Oh man is that a great movie. I still watch it at least once a month. I tell ya though, 2 was ok. One of the "Fight Scene" worth while movie but 3 was terrible. Geez, R. Lee Ermy playing the leader of a Waco kind of cult. Skinheads and the whole bit. I believe I turned it off when Phillip did a spinning crescent in swim fins at the county fair.

Sylo

Purple Belt
Reaction score
I own BotB on DVD AND VHS.

I found the DVD version in fred's dollar store for 7 bucks, my wife wound up getting it for me as a stocking stuffer for christmas. I've also seen it in the wal mart 5 dollar bin before.

check my sig!

OP
D

Daniel Sullivan

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Oh man is that a great movie. I still watch it at least once a month. I tell ya though, 2 was ok. One of the "Fight Scene" worth while movie but 3 was terrible. Geez, R. Lee Ermy playing the leader of a Waco kind of cult. Skinheads and the whole bit. I believe I turned it off when Phillip did a spinning crescent in swim fins at the county fair.
One of the problems with action movie franchises is that they tend to forget when enough is too much. Very few decent action movies are followed up with decent sequels. And if it goes beyond one sequel, then they tend to get progressively worse, often departing entirely from the premise that made the original work.

Daniel

Miles

Senior Master
Reaction score
One of the problems with action movie franchises is that they tend to forget when enough is too much. Very few decent action movies are followed up with decent sequels. And if it goes beyond one sequel, then they tend to get progressively worse, often departing entirely from the premise that made the original work.

Daniel

Can anybody say "Rocky" or "Rambo?"

OP
D

Daniel Sullivan

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Rocky did at least redeem itself with the last one, Rocky Balboa, which I felt was fantastic and quite possibly the best of the series.

Here's another one that got worse as they progressed: American Ninja (weren't there like seven of those?)

Daniel

Latest Discussions