back kicks

Manny

Senior Master
Reaction score
For me the spining back kick is one of the most powerful tools in TKD waht do you think?

Manny

donald

Black Belt
Reaction score
Although I am ranked in EPAK I would agree that the spinning b.k. is a very powerful tool indeed. I did study awhile at a Sang Moo Kwan Dojang for a brief time, but made it back to kenpo. In kenpo I was taught to keep my knee chambered tight, and under me.Presumeably to allow the spin kick to be more of a surprise. I believe TKD teaches to chamber the knee out more at the hip? Am I incorrect in this?

1stJohn1:9

jdinca

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
It's a great kick, if you're fast enough. If your head doesn't come around quick enough to spot your target, your target may be hitting you from someplace you didn't expect!

tkd_jen

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Although I am ranked in EPAK I would agree that the spinning b.k. is a very powerful tool indeed. I did study awhile at a Sang Moo Kwan Dojang for a brief time, but made it back to kenpo. In kenpo I was taught to keep my knee chambered tight, and under me.Presumeably to allow the spin kick to be more of a surprise. I believe TKD teaches to chamber the knee out more at the hip? Am I incorrect in this?

1stJohn1:9

We are taught to chamber close to our body, not out, if the knee is out it is a turning side kick, not a back kick.

zDom

Senior Master
Reaction score
We are taught to chamber close to our body, not out, if the knee is out it is a turning side kick, not a back kick.

Same here.

Technically speaking, we don't train spinning side kicks; just turning back kicks.

wade

Black Belt
Reaction score
Since I am currently sitting here with my broken ribs taped up from a spinning back side kick (through my chest guard) I can definitely say it is a very strong kick. Only my opinion of course.

OP
Manny

Manny

Senior Master
Reaction score
I remeber once a few years back I did some sparring with a friend of mine, offcourse I was in bade shape as I do right now but I need some punches to take off my stress, this budy of mine was a yellow belt in TKD was my height and almost my weight but he was training for almost one year.

He knew I am a black belt but also knew that I had cero stamina, so we played a little. We use helmet,chest protector and shin pads as I recall, we only went a round.

I tought this way, if he hits me hard I will hit him hard, if he only plays a little I will play a little.

Previus the bout we did some calistecnics and stretching I have to say, so we use another budy to take time (3 minutes) and wacht the fight.

We start easy, light kicks and punches, but my budy want to show me something so he start to kick me hard, so I respond him in that way, we clinch and everithing, however I was runing out gas ( I needed air so badly), and to ended this gay I recall doing a spining back kick....... thank god my friend was using his helmet, my kick wasn't flashy just a spining back kick but I caught him when he was delivering a round kick so the impact was good enough to sent him to the floor.

My two budies could not believe it!!! luck??? maybe but it was a very good kick. Afther that we continued our sparring round but I had to hold my budy several times till the clock stoped, I was very tired for this 3 minutes round were I gave it all.

That night in bed I recalled that kick and it was my belief in the street using no chest protector and helmet the bad guy will be hurt badly not only for maybe broken ribs but for the head hitting hard the floor.

Manny

Sukerkin

Have the courage to speak softly
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Sympathies to Wade - broken ribs are no joke, mate. Rest hard is the best advice I can give.

As to using spinning kicks in a self-defence situation, that is something I would strongly advise against. They might work well in sparring when someone is not really barreling in trying to hurt you and they might look wonderfully flash on the big screen but out on the cobbles ...

A one step side kick to a closing aggressor, on the other hand (is that a mixed metaphor? :D) can be very effective and doesn't involve you taking your eyes off 'the ball'.

Miles

Senior Master
Reaction score
Wade, to quote a former president, "I feel your pain."

We worked on back kick . I teach it like a donkey kick-don't look, keep the knees together and kick straight back. I am a little guy but can easily lift my 320lb 2nd dan student up with this kick.

As far as using it in self-defense, I think it would excellent in the right situation because it is deceptive. You look like you are turning away (i.e. running) and then pop the perp in the jewels with a kick that can break ribs....

Miles

exile

To him unconquered.
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Sympathies to Wade - broken ribs are no joke, mate. Rest hard is the best advice I can give.

As to using spinning kicks in a self-defence situation, that is something I would strongly advise against. They might work well in sparring when someone is not really barreling in trying to hurt you and they might look wonderfully flash on the big screen but out on the cobbles ...

A one step side kick to a closing aggressor, on the other hand (is that a mixed metaphor? :D) can be very effective and doesn't involve you taking your eyes off 'the ball'.

Add my sympathies to Mark's, Wade—I've very sorry to hear that you got caught in the wrong part of the crosshairs on someone's back kick... rest and get well soon, amigo.

As a number of posters have pointed out, the back-kick is distinctive because it doesn't use a marked outward chamber. The way we do it, you're in a fighting stance, left foot forward, say; you pivot quickly on both heels, bring your head around so that your peripheral vision covers the action behind you, bring your `new' front leg up off the floor and slam it straight back, making sure to feel contact with the balance leg to ensure you're kicking straight, with the heel the main impact surface. When it lands fair and square, it's like a pile-driver... hell, sorry, Wade, I forgot... but it's true, isn't it.

Sukerkin

Have the courage to speak softly
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Hi Ex

I'm trying to visualise your description - it sounds like it's not a spinning kick after all?

What orientation is the foot in? Heel up? That's the impression I got from Miles's explanation.

As a 'parting shot' I can see how that might work but, age old ingrained training being hard to shake, if I turn away from someone I'm fighting then I'll be working on putting distance between us rather than practising deception :D.

bluekey88

Senior Master
Reaction score
Certainly, the spinning back kick can be a devastating kick. However, I think any technique (foot or hand) can be devastating when delivered to the right target with the correct timing under the proper circumstances. It's all about knowing when to use a technique and having the talent/skill/luck to land it. :)

Peace,
Erik

Thesemindz

Senior Master
MT Mentor
Reaction score

This is interesting. I trained at a Kenpo school, and we were taught to chamber all our kicks the same way, knee up, tight to the body, and fire from this position. By doing this, we disguise the specific technique until the last possible moment, and have a common point of reference for all kicking techniques in case we have to change strategies on the fly. This method originally entered our strain of Modern American Kenpo via Bob White, who taught this method to his students.

Does anyone else practice like this?

-Rob

Thesemindz

Senior Master
MT Mentor
Reaction score
For me the spining back kick is one of the most powerful tools in TKD waht do you think?

Manny

I don't teach TKD, Modern American Kenpo instead, but I always emphasized to my students that any derivation of a back kick is going to be one of their most powerful weapons, in terms of brute force. Look at the muscle groups used to launch this weapon. The back, torso, buttocks, thighs, and hamstrings. This is an extremely heavy weapon, launched with the largest muscles in the body. Of course, spinning, while not my choice for self defense, is still a great way to add even more force. A solid spinning rear kick will devastate a target. The trick is being accurate enough to hit one.

-Rob

exile

To him unconquered.
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Hi Ex

I'm trying to visualise your description - it sounds like it's not a spinning kick after all?

Right—the pivot is as close as we get to a spin. Our instructor's take is, you have a good shot at nailing the target with one of these, but if you do the full-scale spin, your accuracy problems go through the roof.

What orientation is the foot in? Heel up? That's the impression I got from Miles's explanation.

That's right—the heel is the intended striking surface for the same reason it is in our version of the side kick; like the palm heel, it's dense, well protected, relatively small in surface (so a lot of force applied to a small area) and is sited almost perfectly so far as skeletal support goes.

As a 'parting shot' I can see how that might work but, age old ingrained training being hard to shake, if I turn away from someone I'm fighting then I'll be working on putting distance between us rather than practising deception :D.

I have the same feeling, but my experience is that when you do the initial pivoting away, your oppo seems unable to resist moving in towards your `exposed' back. The close they get, the harder it is to miss, and a well-delivered back kick is incredibly forceful.

The key to this kick, I suspect, is in learning how to get your head turned in time to give you full visual coverage of what's going on behind you, so that your oppo is never out of sight.

GlassJaw

Orange Belt
Reaction score
This is interesting. I trained at a Kenpo school, and we were taught to chamber all our kicks the same way, knee up, tight to the body, and fire from this position.

At the TKD school that my older daughter and I are in, (almost) all kicks chamber with knee up (pointing at level of target) and foot down (usually tucked in next to other leg, rather than hanging straight down or tucked to butt). As you mentioned, part of the reason is to disguise the type of kick.

My younger daughter, however, trains in Kajukenpo. In her school, most of the kicks chamber to the front, as ours do (I don't recall whether their shin hangs vertically or angles back). But I believe they throw their backkick from what they call a "teacup position", where the leg is chambered slightly to the side (kinda like you're raising your foot to get onto a bicycle). Maybe I have that wrong; maybe it's their sidekicks that they do like that.

Dan

Latest Discussions