Kicking technique - which is better?

geocad

Green Belt
Reaction score
I just have a question regarding the form and technique to a basic arc (chop, roundhouse) kick.

I've seen this taught basically two ways so I'm wondering which is the most taught (at least within this MT circle).

The two ways I'm referring to actually refer to after the kick has occured. 1) I've seen instructors say to hold the knee up and then pivot back into fighting stance. This is done when the instructor requires us to practice the kick only on the one side.
2) The other way is to hold the knee up after the kick has occured and then place the foot down in front of you as if you took one step. Your position is now the reverse fighting stance. This is just like when we do the drills where we do the kicks walking across the dojang and back. But when we practice only one side we still put the kicking foot down in front of us (as if we took the one step) but then quickly switch back to fighting stance to continue practicing the one side.

For me, option #2 feels more natural (but is not what is being taught in my new class). For one, my balance is maintained throughout the kick and standing/starting position. And two, I'm advancing towards my target. And three, I'm not excerting any energy to pivot and rotate back around while trying to maintain balance.

I practice option 1 though only when I'm kicking and contacting targets (pads or bag). The recoil assists with returning to the starting stance.

In your opinion, which is more or less correct and why?

Thanks. Sorry if this was already covered in a previous thread. I looked through some but did not notice anything regarding the specifics to my question.

Shaderon

Master of Arts
Reaction score
We practice both types in drills equally, the second type is done mostly at gradings though I've heard that they can ask for the first type on occasion to catch you of guard.

Laurentkd

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
We also practice both. I don't think you can say one is better than the other, just that each one is probably better in different circumstances.

OP
G

geocad

Green Belt
Reaction score
We also practice both. I don't think you can say one is better than the other, just that each one is probably better in different circumstances.
Yes, I put my foot in my mouth. I should have sat and thought about it a little while longer prior to wasting a thread. I often see people practicing it, but in my opinion, would benefit more if they worked on their balance prior to fully extending the kick. But that's just me. Thanks.

Laurentkd

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Yes, I put my foot in my mouth. I should have sat and thought about it a little while longer prior to wasting a thread. I often see people practicing it, but in my opinion, would benefit more if they worked on their balance prior to fully extending the kick. But that's just me. Thanks.

Nothing is a waste of a thread!!!! As far as benifiting more if they worked on their balance, without even knowing what you are talking about I would agree- balance is a key to success in most techniques, especially kicking! Anyone can benifit from continuing to work on balance. But perhaps these people are just practicing a different part of the kick?? Either way, as long as you are working to make your kick the best it can be you are on track!

Kacey

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
We do both in line drills - which one you would do in other settings depends on the situation. For example, if you want to use both legs, you might step forward to take advantage of the momentum created by forward movement; if you can't - or don't want - to move forward, you might drop the leg straight down and do another lead leg kick. Both are equally valid methods. If you find yourself liking one more, then you need to practice the other until it becomes comfortable.

exile

To him unconquered.
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
For me, option #2 feels more natural (but is not what is being taught in my new class). For one, my balance is maintained throughout the kick and standing/starting position. And two, I'm advancing towards my target. And three, I'm not excerting any energy to pivot and rotate back around while trying to maintain balance.

I practice option 1 though only when I'm kicking and contacting targets (pads or bag). The recoil assists with returning to the starting stance.

It's not a matter of (in)correctness; as everyone's been saying, pretty much, both are valid. But I prefer to have my students do #1, for exactly the reason that's implicit in your post cited above: it's harder to maintain balance when you're doing #1, therefore the latter is a better drill for balance. If you can do option 1, option 2 is a piece of cake, but the reverse isn't true. Once my students can to #1, I like to have them go on to `#1a': deliver two kicks in good form off the same chamber. And this takes really good balance. Once they can do that , do three kicks off the same chamber. These multiple kicks all involve the following sequence: chamber, kick with open hip power to the target, maintain balance on the standing leg, bring the extended leg back in a reverse of the arc used in striking, strike again (no hip involvement this time, obviously, because you're already in pivoted position), bring it back in that same arc, repeat; then deliberately and in perfect balance return the leg the rear-leg position. They start by doing it into a heavy bag (much easier, as your comment suggests), and then doing it in the air, which is a killer, but improves their balance very effectively. I also try to get them to do all parts of these drills slowly... then slower... until I can tell them to `freeze' at any point in the arc and they can hold it. Tough, but a great exercise for both balance and strength.

TKDmel

Blue Belt
Reaction score
I have taught and been taught both ways as they each have their own advantages. Stepping down as in #2, allows for a new stance as you said and can be very useful at pressing your opponent back. The other one bringing the kicking leg back allows for a wide variety of turning kicks. I personally train for both.

bluemtn

Senior Master
Reaction score
I can't say I have a favorite way. We practice it both ways- moving forward or stationary. They're both good for different situations!

Drunken_Boxer

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Dont know, every technique is good for me, but my fav. are: Pandae doljo chagi and the back side kick ^^ and plus some combo techniques.Hehehe, I love them :)