Are you doing the one you wanted?

bookworm_cn317

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Are you doing the the martial are you wanted or are you doing the one circumstances allowed?
It's kinda both. It was what was being offered at one of the Y's in our area, but I didn't really care what art I took, I just REALLY wanted to do what the Power Rangers did (minus the morphing & the other special effects). Hey, what can I say? MMPR made an impact on me!

And why did you choose the martial art you did?
It's what was offered at the Y. But, I stayed because of my instructor. That, and the fact that I realized I loved it.

jim777

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I'm doing the one that circumstances allow. I wanted to study Shaolin Kung Fu, because of the TV show and Kwai Chang Cain :) I didn't know anything about Kung Fu (and still don't know enough to fill a teaspoon) other than I though the monks (as portrayed on TV) seemed very wise and honorable and humble.
I'm currently taking TKD with my three daughters in a fantastic school that I really enjoy. My son will start in September when he turns 6, but at the moment he go to all their classes (and some of mine) and stands in the back and does what the full class is doing. The instructors get a kick out of him, and occasional say things to him like "Chamber higher Seamus!" to let him know they see him. :D He's DYING to start TKD. I love being able to share the Martial arts with my kids, and help them workout as well.
It's just one more thing to share with them.
I'm also looking for a Kung Fu school now as well, because I'm old and I really would like to learn some before I'm too ancient. One art for all of us, and one just for me, to fill my now ancient yearning :asian:

jdinca

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Yes/no/yes/no.... :) It seems life rarely takes a straight course anywhere. I 'really wanted' to do traditional hapkido--still do!--but if my joints couldn't do it 15 years ago, not likely the tendons, ligaments, and cartilage in and around my knees have gotten a lot better in the meantime. :rofl:

So, moving on. (This comes in a multivolume set, too, for all who are interested). Next went to Shaolin Kempo. Spent years there, but in the end felt the brand I was learning was short on practicality, although long on fun and dojo safety.

Thus, began cross training in Kung Fu San Soo. Now I had a true, full-blown combat art. But studio was short on fun and safety, and a few years in I suffered irreparable damage to vertabrae in my neck (which affected nerves in my arm). Didn't want to be the greatest fighter to ever win from a wheel chair, so had to give up those classes.

Anyway, after almost 15 years of such circuitry, now practice a blended form of all of the above, and teach kids who can't afford lessons. I learn, they learn, good stuff. Did I end up at the destination planned from Day One? Obviously not. Am I where I want to be. Absolutely.

If you read this whole post, you have qualified for a free trip. Just print, clip, and mail to North Pole. Details will be in the mail. :wink1:

I just reread this. I knew you taught kids, but I didn't realize it was underprivileged kids who wouldn't get the training any other way. That rocks. My hat's off to you. :asian:

FearlessFreep

Senior Master
Reaction score
Nope, not at all. I thought 'taekwondo' was some sort of Korean sushi. I just stopped in for a bite to eat, but I was wondering about the dress code my first time there. So I waited around a few years trying to earn my way to the buffet.

kidswarrior

Senior Master
Reaction score
I just reread this. I knew you taught kids, but I didn't realize it was underprivileged kids who wouldn't get the training any other way. That rocks. My hat's off to you. :asian:

Thanks, Pard'. :ultracool Probably sounds more impresssive than it is, tho. It's just what I do best.

Sukerkin

Have the courage to speak softly
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Darn it, Kidswarrior, yet again I can't rep you as you deserve because the Gnomes of Rep Mastery say I must not play favourites so much :tup:.

kidswarrior

Senior Master
Reaction score
Darn it, Kidswarrior, yet again I can't rep you as you deserve because the Gnomes of Rep Mastery say I must not play favourites so much :tup:.
:banghead: Can't argue with the Gnomes. :rofl:

Hey, it's the thought that counts. And I appreciate the thought. :)

jdinca

Master Black Belt
Reaction score

I'm in the same boat. Better start passing out more rep!

arnisador

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Are you doing the the martial are you wanted or are you doing the one circumstances allowed?

I like what I'm doing (arnis), but circumstances led me there, and away from iaido which I enjoyed so much! I'd still be doing karate and iaido if not for grad. school.

ChingChuan

Blue Belt
Reaction score

And why did you choose the martial art you did?

Well, actually, it's both. I've wanted to practise Iaido for years, but unfortunately 1. my parents wouldn't allow it 2. and there was no iaido dojo anyway.
Last year I finally started looking beyond the fact that there wasn't iaido in my city and at last, a friend of mine recommended Pencak Silat. When I went there, I discovered that it was quite a nice art to learn, so I stayed. I really like Pencak Silat because it's very effective and it just appeals to me, so now I don't really mind the fact that I can't do Iaido anymore (though I'd still like to do it somewhere in the future...).

silatman

Blue Belt
Reaction score
I wanted to find an art that would teach me to defend myself. I went to the local council offices to find every art that was in my area and found only one possibility.
There were about 6 choices but 5 of them were purely sport or fitness related, so by default I went to the last choice and found an instructor with no ego and unbelievable knolledge and resources that he could draw on.
I have been with him now for 5 years and look forward to each and every session with him.

Shaderon

Master of Arts
Reaction score

Yeam them gnomes shout at me every time I try and rep him too... well not every time but it seems like it.

Golden_Nipple

White Belt
Reaction score
Weeell... I started due to circumstance, came back due to choice.

I did TKD as a kid, got a disheartened with it and left, fast foward a few years and a friend of mine was starting up something called "Kyokushin Karate", I didn't even realise there was a difference between different styles of Karate at the time. But alas, I went along, and immediately fell in love with it, got in the best shape I'd ever been in and thought I was "super cool" fighting 22 year olds when I was a wee 14. A year later, circumstance made me stop (moved slightly further away, mother-dear said the horses would be too tired off such a long journey pulling the cart two or three times a week).

A year or two later, I was really missing doing some sort of Martial Art, and started heavily researching what would be "my" MA. I looked primarily at Muay Thai, BJJ, Kyokushin, Aikido and JJJ. Finally, after a long while, I decided I really did want to go back to Kyokushin, I convinced a mate to start up with me so we could car pool, and here I am still loving it. No better art for me.

JBrainard

Senior Master
Reaction score
I'm taking the martial art that I wanted to take.

I spent four years researching and trying out different martial arts until I found the one that fit me. I love Kombatan Arnis because lock flow drills are taught every day and it's a complete art. Plus it teaches knife fighting :EG: .

kidswarrior

Senior Master
Reaction score
Yeam them gnomes shout at me every time I try and rep him too... well not every time but it seems like it.

Well, I didn't want to let this out, but I've somehow angered the Gnomes and they're unleashing their formidable wrath on me. But I try to keep the Spirit of Budo about it and not cry like a little girl. :waah:

Tlaloc

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
I did MGK TSD for a few years about 13 or so years ago, and then my family moved and I just could not keep up with it.

Now, I am in college and started doing Cheezic TSD (from what I know, cheezic tsd is mostly some little division that takes place mostly in ct, but whatever) at my school. Except for a few annoyances here and there about what aspects that are overemphasized and other ones that are sadly nearly completely ignored, I'm quite happy with it. I plan on sticking with this style at least until I graduate (2 years from now). After that, I figure I'll look into going back to Mu Duk Kwan TSD. I've had a small experience with capoeria, which was pretty cool, and I've always wanted to try some style of Kung Fu just to see what it was about, but I'm generally happy with TSD. Although occassionally I see some gaps and aspects that I don't like about the style, I figure it's mostly from my lack of complete understanding.

I guess it's the art that was the most convenient, but after so long, I feel quite at home with the art.

Skip Cooper

Purple Belt
Reaction score
As others have stated before me, I am training in the art I want: now. I wasn't sure what I wanted in the beginning and I was also limited in my area. I plan to train in my chosen art for a long time to come. In the future, there are other areas I would love to explore, but I believe I will always "think" like a hakido fighter.

woot

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
When I first started (years ago) it was because of circumstance. As it turned out it is a place that I would have chosen even if I had other choices. My instructor is very knowledgable in many arts and incorporates them into our classes. When I say knowledgable I mean he has studied with many prominate martial artists who have promoted him to an instructor in their art. I feel fortunate to have him as an instructor. He is also well respected within our tournament circuit.

kingkong89

Green Belt
Reaction score
even though i am now a black belt and can explore other styles i am doing the style i wanted.

i started ma thanks to 4 little green guys called the teenage mutant ninja turtles, i loved to watch them when i was little back in the early 90s and wanted to do what they did, what i thought was kick but. now i know it is more then that.

Latest Discussions