Why do you study what you study?

JoeW

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
What made you choose the martial art you are in currently? Simple question just would like to hear why people chose what they did over other MAs.

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
What made you choose the martial art you are in currently? Simple question just would like to hear why people chose what they did over other MAs.

I was never really involved in sports when I was in school, so my father suggested I give the Martial Arts a try. Didn't really research much at the time, so we went to the closest school, which happened to be a Villari school. Made it to Brown, before changing to the Parker system. Currently training in the Tracy method.

Training really worked out to be a huge benefit for me, because over time, I was introduced to different people and various arts outside of Kenpo. The other arts I came across were Modern Arnis and BJJ. I'm fortunate that I have the people I do to train with. They're a great group and I enjoy working with them. :)

Sukerkin

Have the courage to speak softly
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
:D

It might be a simple question, Joe but it certainly won't have a simple answer for many people; not those with a few decades behind them in the martial arts anyway.

I can give a few snapshots of points in my own martial history that could be seen as decision points but they were all really part of a much greater flow of choices and events.

I supppose a truly simple answer would be "Because I love it" but I sense that's not really what you're after.

Kacey

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Why did I choose TKD? Honestly? I was suckered. I was dating a guy who had gotten his 4th gup (blue belt) in high school, stopped training after graduation, and nearly 10 years later, kept trying to teach me half-remembered techniques while we went for walks. We were looking for something we could do together that was exercise, and not too expensive (we were both college students - he'd taken a school hiatus while in the Air Force) - he found a class at the local Y and talked me into trying it with him. During the first couple of classes, something just "clicked", and I realized that I'd found something I didn't know I was missing. That was 21 years ago, and I've been training with my sahbum ever since - put it was pure happenstance that I ended up with him instead of someone else.

stickarts

Senior Master
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Some Friends that I had each trained in Kempo and they recommended it. I really didn't know much about the different schools or styles but started formal training at a Kempo school that happened to be along a route I traveled often since they liked and recommended the style that this school offered.
Once I started there I got exposure to other teachers and styles and I added other styles that I tried and really liked.
I had just stopped playing semi-pro baseball and was looking for a new challenge. Been with it ever since.

ktaylor75

Orange Belt
Reaction score
I train in Shaolin Kenpo since Oct of last year. Why? Because I wanted to do something to motivate myself to lose weight and get into shape....I did a search online for karate schools in my area, and happened across one that really peeked my interest, so I went there to try a free class and instantly fell in love with the art and the challenge! (PS: To date, have lost 36 pounds & 3 dress-sizes since beginning this journey!)

kailat

Green Belt
Reaction score
Funny, cause for me it goes all the way back to 1985 I started boxing and loved it while in JR. High school. I was playing baseball in the summer-fall months and wanted something to do thru out the remainder of the year. I tried running track and cross country for a while.. Wasn't big in basketball, although I enjoyed it, just wasnt' what I was looking for.

As I continued in boxing for a year or so, my coach had a minor heart failure and had to give up coaching for a while. My buddy talked me into taking Karate around 1986-87'. I never really thought much of karate. But i really enjoyed it once I got into it. It really kept me going. During this time I was cross trained in Kali-Silat and Jeet Kune Do as well as Muay Thai kickboxing under Sifu/Guro Bruce Ogle. As I continued to study over the years around 1991 I earned my black belt. I continued to study for several more months until I left for the Army in late of 91. I then realized that my "sport karate" training was not going to help me much on the battlefield. My training in the Filipino Arts seemed to be more prominant for what was going on. I continued to study FMA under various schools and instructors while in the Army. I attended several of Dan Inosanto seminars during this time.

As I come back home, I moved north of my home until I found my original teacher. But his distance from me was hard to maintain a continuous training regimine with. so i sought out my dear friend and teacher in serrada eskrima.. WOW, it was everything I never knew about FMA. I studied continuously for many years straight w/ him. Meeting many great friends and teachers. My carreer ended up going into law enforcement which has given me the opportunity to now be a certified Defensive Tactics instructor. Today, I teach a filipino structured martial art. I call it Kailat Kombatives. It's make up is of all I've studied over the past several years and what i've found that works in and out of actual combat from the military and law enforcement. I don't put forth much time into teaching or martial arts as I once used to.. And thats the great thing.. I allow myself to do this part time as i see fit around my busy and hectic lifestyle. If and when im ready to pursue the arts on a more full time basis I can and will.. it's not really something I want to allow to overtake my life.

so in the end.. many are into this study of martial arts to get rich.. I do it to calm myself and allow me to pass on what i know to those I can help.

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Because the Little old man kicked my *** so I figure go a head and train with someone that could.

tshadowchaser

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I wanted to learn from the best instructor in the area or at least from one of the best I could find so I moved to where one of the two best I knew where and got a job and started studying with him

YoungMan

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
My dad figured Tae Kwon Do was most appropriate based on what I said I was interested in. I said I wanted to learn a kicking-based martial art.
Why did I stay? Haven't found anything worth making me leave.

JohnPeace

White Belt
Reaction score
I study kenpo because it is easily applied in the real world (outside the dojo). I study marital arts to reach inside and develop a greater understanding of myself.

Fiendlover

Black Belt
Reaction score
Fighting runs in my blood so I decided to try the closest one which happened to be karate (which also had some of my friends in it) and close meaning it was only about 5 minutes away unless I hopped the wall then it would be 3 minutes away. :ultracool
So I tried it and at first i hated it but when i got used to it i fell in love with it!

celtic_crippler

Senior Master
Reaction score
I've studied a few arts in my life, but finally settled on kenpo.

I'm a practical person and kenpo is a practical art. It's about what works. It's based on scientific principles and not only focuses on what to do in certain situations but also on the "why".

I ask a lot of questions and in other arts the answer I was often given was "Because I say so" but all of my kenpo instructors never minded my questions. They were more than happey to tell me, or demonstrate the "whys", often resulting in bruises and blood.....but well worth it. lol

Kenpo keeps my attention. There's no way one can know all there is to know about kenpo. It's an analytical and scientific art; often referred to as a "journey", there is always something more to learn so I'm never bored.

I respect the traditional and performance arts, but I'm a "meat & potatos" kind of guy so kenpo appeals to me. The scientific approach can be compared to the old addage, "Give a man fish and you feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish and you feed him for life."

In short, it makes sense to me so that's why I study it.

Cirdan

Senior Master
Reaction score
I was looking for a traditional art with solid striking skills. Karate was a natural choise. I have tried a few other styles but love Wado so much for the tecnical depth.

Since then I have added Jujutsu to my training. I was looking for a bit more of grappling and resistance training and was concidering Judo. However a Jujutsu demonstration totally blew me away so I decided to try that instead.

I train because the arts offer a pretty unique challenge to both your mind and evry part of your body.

Darth F.Takeda

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Traditional and Combat Jujutsu and Pekiti Tarsia.

Why? When I was in a TKD school, we had an instrucotr there who was a multi BB in various arts, including Jujutsu.
The destructivness yet the ability to control people apealed to me, in addition in real fights I tended to ensare arms and get in choke holds as much as I punched and kicked.

It took me years to find a good Jujutsu school (sorry BJJ but they are not the same, just have some similar techniques) and when I did I never left.

As far as Pekiti Tarsia, I always was interested in FMA and my late Sempai taught us elements from FMA and other arts and was training with Dave Wink and brought me up to crosstrain.

FMA gives me better entry skills and Jujutsu gives me options.
I like real combat arts, developed for warfare, not ego fights or sport, Royce Gracie will probably not try to mug me or rape my lady, but thugs very well might. By hook or by crook (or knife, gun or my hands) I train to be the meanest person in the situation.
I also train because I just plain love it.

SHUGYO!

Hyper_Shadow

Green Belt
Reaction score
Absolute chance for me. I was training in JuJitsu and was enjoying what I was doing. One day a leaflet dropped through a friends letterbox advertising a new dojo in our local area. We went along for a taster sesion. After then I've been hooked. The wealth of information and explanation I've recieved from my instructor is phenomenal. He's never failed to answer a question and has never been afraid to put words to practice if he needed to prove the effectiveness of a technique.
Just chance guys and your whole life and its direction changes, amazing isn't it?

Jenna

Senior Master
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Some of these are really cool tales :) My dad used to run a boxing gym. I loved to train there when I was younger. It was plain though that I was no pro boxer in the making. He asked around on my behalf and common wisdom in those days was that Aikido was the art for those of us who are maybe not so big.

Many years later, I love my Aiki because I can hurt people while maintaining a compassionate attitude for their pain :D ha! I jest, of course ;)

I do not espouse the values of competition for its own sake and so I find there is less posturing in my Aikido than in some of the other styles I have sampled.
Yr most obdt hmble srvt,
Jenna

jkembry

Black Belt
Reaction score
Hmmm....interesting question. I eventually went with my style (Uechi-ryu) because it seemed to be less competitive and I was comfortable with my Sensei's style of instruction. At my age (50) I am more interested in the philisophical and spiritual aspects of MA than the fighting or competitive aspects...although I do believe these are helpful too.

My first interest in MA started after watching the first episode of "Kung Fu" back in the 70s. there was a TKD dojo in town which I attended for a few months in the summer...until the instructor moved out of town. While in the Navy I studied Shorin-ryu for a while until I retired. It took me almost 10 years after retiring from the Navy to find a style, and Sensei, that I was comfortable with.