• Other Okinawan

• Other Japanese

• Other Chinese

• Other Korean

Results are only viewable after voting.

Gray Phoenix

Green Belt
Reaction score
I study Mushin Ryu combat Jujitsu. I had always wantd to study a martial art that had a good combination of both hard and soft styles, utilizing linear and circular arts. Kicks, punches along with grappling and ground work. Yes I did research all of this before choosing a class. This is not Brazilian/Judo, or some harder form of Aikido -jitsu. Although, all of these are great arts with many similarties due to their shared Jujitsu history.

Mushin Ryu was developed as a more combat oriented street version of the Danzan Ryu/Kodenkan (not Kodokan) utilizing the the anatomical science of Kempo. Although Mushin Ryu has taken knowledge and some techniques/combinations from Danzan Ryu and Kempo, it is a separate and distinct Jujitsu.

I love my class. We dont focus on trying to learn Japanese terms. The art is difficult enough with out the linguistics. We have a fun and happy calss where our Professor can joke laugh with us, yet also command respect and deadly seriousness when teaching. Since we do have our roots in the Kodenkan, a requirement for advancement (once having reached an intermediate belt ranking) one must teach in order to advance. This helps facilate outstanding teachers that have taught every level once having reached Shodan. However a junior instructor is always overseen and corrected by a BB or one of our 3 attending Professors. A Professor being 6th Dan or higher.

What I dont like: Most people who come in dont stay mcuh past white belt. Most people dont like actually feeling a wrist flex, take down of any kind. Slapping the mat repeatedly can wear on you if you dont dont have a somewhat elevated pain threshold. We also seem to lose some students the moment they are eligable for the intermediate/advanced class. Shokes and strangles can be... uncomfortable. In short my only dislike is that sometimes classes can be rather small, ex. 5-10 people. Average class size is about 30 depending on the day. I feel that the more varied the group the more your learn.

www.valleyjujitsu.com

masherdong

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
I studied Shotokan when I was 8 yrs old and really liked it. I didn't get too far since the money was a problem for my parents.
Then, I studied Kajukenbo and really loved it because it combined 5 different arts into the system. When I was testing for my Blue Belt, it incorporated judo techniques and judo matches. Man those were the days!

asangria

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Which martial art do you train in?

Tai Kenpo - Blue Belt, Pakua - Orange Sash, Kalis Kalis
Why did you choose this art?

Tai Kenpo - I enjoyed the all around aspect of striking & grappling;
Pakua - tried it based on the recommenation of one of my friends
Kalis Kalis - wanted to learn a FMA
What do you like about it?

I like the training believe it or not; pushing myself to a point where I didn't know I could do it. Then there's the friendships that you develop can't beat that.
What do you NOT like about it?

Never having enough time to spend practicing & learning.

masherdong

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
I am also interested in Jun Bao and EPAK. Trying to find someone here in Houston to learn and train with.

Fightback2

Green Belt
Reaction score
I train in Shotokan Karate because my husband and step-son were already training at that school. It suits me though. I definitely don't have a body built for great speed or flash - short and sturdy - that's me. Plus I train for free since I do most of the school's administrative work.

I don't really care for the stiffness of some of the katas but that's about the only thing.

ppko

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
the arts that I train

Ryukyu Kempo, Jodoryu Jujitsu, and Modern Arnis.
Why did I choose these arts
because of the instructor, and the fact that the stuff that we do is street effective.
What do I like about it
everything
what do I not like about it
a lot like Mr. Little if there was something that I didn't like than I would addapt it to where I would.

47MartialMan

Master of Arts
Reaction score
I have trained in many. I had enjoyed them all. However, presently I train, and have been training, in a Chinese Gah Kuen.

Loki

Black Belt
Reaction score
I think Systema practitioners sympathize with me when I say you left us out (!!). :)

I practice Krav Maga because I was looking into martial arts and it seemed the most practical. Plus options are slim if you don't live in a major city.

I like the simplicity and effectiveness of the techniques, but I'd be happier if there were more weapons involved and a bit more groundwork.

~ Loki

Bigshadow

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Nightingale said:
Bujinkan Budo Taijutsu

Nightingale said:
It felt right.

Nightingale said:
It's hand to hand combat applicability. Hmmm.... Everything!

Nightingale said:
Absolutely nothing!

O

Oleg

Tae Kwon Do
Near my house
everything

S

sasquatchnaruto

I train in Kuk Sool Won

I started to have more time with my lil bro, plus the instructor is first rate

I love all of the power moves in the art, I also love the diversity of the entire art it feels complete

I dislike the aerial manuevers I have to do sometimes, also low spin kicks are looking like an impossible with my knees.

D

dscott

I study a mix of arts but mainly Wing Chun. We mix in Modern Arnis, kickboxing, Silat, Small Circle Juijitsu. Going on two years now.

I started with this because I found my instructor through my accupunturist.

I like it because it's very informal. We train once a week with about 4 other people. I like Wing Chun because it doesn't really matter how strong you are. I love the Modern Arnis and Silat portions as well. Actually I just really like the class.

Something that I don't like is the fact that it's informal. I wish I could train more days and we had more of a "school" feel to it.

A

AWR

Hapkido

I liked the system and was impressed with the well-rounded nature of the art;
it doesn't really seem to be missing anything.

I'm very impressed with how quickly I was able to get into the "meat" of the
art. This is truly an art that I can use on the street.

The tumbling. I understand it's usefulness, but hate doing it.

beauty_in_the_sai

Green Belt
Reaction score

I train in TKD primarily. I chose it at first because it was the only martial art in my area. I love the high kicks and forms. I hate point sparring and the way it's abit rigid, hence why I've cross-trained, but TKD will always be my first and core art.

Flying Crane

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Nightingale said:

Please don't let this turn into a "my art is better than your art" discussion. I'm just curious about the arts we have here and the reasons people train in them.
When I first began, Kenpo was the only thing in my hometown. It seemed effective, and I later found out that all the other schools in the surrounding area were Tae Kwon Do. I liked that I was doing something different. What I don't like is that I think there are WAY too many self-defense techniques (Tracy system), some of which are questionable and need to be eliminated.

When I began Capoeira, it was obscure, nobody else even knew what it was, and I liked that. It has crazy acrobatics, and a sense of playfulness, which was different from Kenpo. It was almost like being in Kung Fu Theater! Gradually I became more aware of the politics, and that was a bummer.

When I began Chen Style Tai Chi Chuan, it was different from Yang Style that is more common. I like being different. I like the internal development, but I also like the harder physical training of external system, so I don't practice my Tai Chi enough. When I get older and the external practice becomes more difficult, I can make the transition more fully.

When I began Tibetan White Crane kung fu, I found it to be very difficult, but also very powerful. And, it is rare, hardly anyone else knows it (seeing a common theme here?) It is a long-range, movement focused system that hits really hard. It is also exhausting to train. What I don't like is a lack of training partners to drill application as much as I would like. Instead, I practice a lot of forms, and bag work.

Wing Chun is the opposite of White Crane, so I liked the complimentary fit of the two systems. Power is developed very differently, it is a short-range style, and it has much less movement. It is also pretty easy to reach a point where you can begin to really apply the techniques in the system. I don't like the politics within the Wing Chun community.

I still practice my Kenpo, and Chinese martial arts. I just keep them separate from each other, and don't mix them together for the sake of training. I want to keep each system discrete, and not end up with a jumbled mix of techniques that doesn't have a comprehensive system.

there's my contribution
Michael

Karate_Warrior

Orange Belt
Reaction score
I goes to a Freestyle martial arts school.
At the Freestyle martial arts school we train
Kung Fu, Taekwondo, Capoeira and others.
I've been interested in martial arts for a long time,
and I have always had problems choosing a martial art.
I started at the freestyle martial arts school for almost 5
months ago.
It is really great that I can learn many styles at one school.
So far we have learned most basics in Kung Fu and Taekwondo.

K' Evans

Orange Belt
Reaction score
My Art: JKD

What I like About It:
I read about JKD sometime ago as a teenager, and was fascinated and interested with its concepts, philosophy and techniques. I could identify with these aspects of the art and somehow felt that it was what I wanted in a martial art. It was several years later that I would meet my Sifu and experince and understand the art itself. Most particularly, it was the philosophy of "honest self-expression" that appealed to me.

What I Dislike About It:
In terms of the art itself, there is nothing that I really dislike. However, there are certain things surrounding the development of the art that concerns me, namely 1) the politics surrounding the different camps of thoughts in JKD, 2) the fact that Bruce Lee passed away unexpectedly begs the question of how JKD may have improved had he lived on and 3) IMO, I have found the effectiveness of the art to be severely curtailed when used in sports settings (ED: This may change as I become more proficient in it).

Langenschwert

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Kunst des Fechtens (the Martial Art of Medieval Germany), and Italian Rapier
Swords are cool, that's why! ;)
Lots of things: I like that we have the Medieval and Renaissance manuals to work from, written by those who fought for real... life and death. I like that it is mysticism-free. I like that the arts are integrated in that there is no separation in concept between armed vs. unarmed combat. The arts are efficient and effective, easily the equal of their counterparts from other cultures. I like that a serious student of HES will generally have to become somewhat of a scholar as well as a fighter: Many of us have learned to read Medieval German or Italian as a supplement to their studies. And last but not least, the arts are the products of Western thought and experience, and are in essence the arts of my ancestors. I don't have to feel like a proverbial kid living in the basement of someone else's culture and history. I've got my own, thanks. :)

It can be hard to find good instructors, for starters. Also, it used to be annoying to me to explain it to others, but now I kind of enjoy the discussions that go: "Yes, Europe had and still has Martial Arts. Yes, they're every bit as good as Asian arts. No, the swords aren't heavy. No, the armour isn't heavy... you could do a cartwheel in full plate if you wanted to. No, I've never hit anyone with a sword." ;)

Best regards,

-Mark

JBrainard

Senior Master
Reaction score
In regards to the poll, not the question; given that you can drive 10 blocks in any direction through a metropolitan area and find a TKD school, I was surprised to see that more people study Kenpo/Kempo/American than TKD.

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score

Wow old post 11-10-2002

But to the questions

Which martial art do you train in? - Taiji (Yang & Chen) and Sanda (last xingyi class coming soon, so I will no longer be training Xingyi)

Why did you choose this art? - Taiji, because of a back injury. Sanda because it was offered

What do you like about it? - too much to list

What do you NOT like about it? - Not enough time to train them

Latest Discussions