Crosstraining.... was it good?

Manny

Senior Master
Reaction score
I want to have a nice discusion with some guys who have do crosstraining because I want to know their way of thinking.

Why did you do crosstraining?
Was it good for you?
Why?
Did you swich martial arts afther this?
Why?
Do you return to you former martial art?
Why?

I did crosstrainig in Kenpo Karate for a year I did not return to it because of many factors: a) I began teaching in TKD, b) suffer from phasitis plantar and had to take things easy for a good recover and this thing did not allow me to put so much tension on my feet and in some way c) I had to choose and I choose to stay in TKD my primeary martial art.

In some way I did crosstraining because the lack of some things in TKD or the TKD dojang I go, this things are, very few adults in class, very few self defense techs or techs aplied to a morfe realistic scenarios, all classes are sport oriented and such things.

Manny

kuniggety

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
I have trained in a few martial arts. Just about every art has something to offer. I learned flexibility and body alignment from bak sil lum. I learned explosive movement, footwork, and tripping from 7*/taichi praying mantis. I learned even more about body alignment and controlling your center of balance through tai chi. For the past couple of years I've been taking it to the ground to learn how to grapple. I may get mud slung at me but I've yet to run into the "perfect" martial art. TKD, Kempo, Karate, Kung fu, etc are great at teaching how to properly strike and sometimes incorporate some throws/break falls. If/when the fight goes to the ground, you're screwed. It's the opposite for grapplers - unless/until the fight goes to the ground, they're screwed. For now I'm focusing on my grappling as I still feel like I have a long way to go. I could kick my own *** from two years ago in a heart beat on the ground but I still don't feel like I'm at the point of being "proficient". Maybe then I'll go back to doing some more stand up work.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
I cross train as an integral part of the martial art i do.

i enjoy the different outlooks.

Blindside

Grandmaster
Founding Member
Reaction score
I have cross-trained in a couple of arts. I was mostly a kenpo guy and cross-trained in BJJ for over a year, that was great, very very helpful and has informed my whole approach to martial arts. I would like to get back into it, but I simply don't have the time these days.

The second major cross-training was into Kali, and that wound up taking over my martial path, so much so that I no longer instruct kenpo. I just found that Kali had a better signal to noise ratio, far less BS to filter out to make a functional art.

tkdwarrior

Green Belt
Reaction score
I cross trained because I like to do other things to supplement my tkd training. Yes it was good. It helped me find other ways to develop my physical attributes. No always been a taekwondo guy. No switching. I always believed that in your art you can find what it is you are looking for. You can find there what you need for actual self defence. It is a matter of flexibility:)

Last edited:

K-man

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I cross train as an integral part of the martial art i do.

i enjoy the different outlooks.
Sorry, I didn't catch all of that. Exactly what have you cross trained in an how far did you go with it?

K-man

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
When I first started training I thought what I was learning was everything I needed, then I saw other guys doing different stuff that looked really good. I decided to have a closer look.
Was it good for you?
Yep. The best thing I could have done.
Well, seeing similar techniques from a different viewpoint helps you better understand your own system.
Not initially when I was training totally different systems but when I saw an alternate way of training my original system I did change.
Because I recognised that my first style was predominantly designed for sport and ignored the training that I now believe is the most important part of my system within the context of self defence.
No.
I was actually asked this a couple of weeks back. A couple of reasons. Firstly, my original system no longer fits my needs and secondly, when I left the system I was accused of disloyalty even though I offered a very polite letter of resignation and the top guy of the organisation overlooked legalities to hijack and close my website. Ironically it was a top ranked site that was go no further use to me because of the domain name. They didn't have a site of their own and I would have gladly given mine to them. So, no, too much water had flowed under the bridge since then.

Dinkydoo

Purple Belt
Reaction score
I want to have a nice discusion with some guys who have do crosstraining because I want to know their way of thinking.

I felt that there was something missing from my current training that I'd not only benefit from working on, but for what I'm looking to achieve, I needed to work on under guided instruction:

Medium to Full Contact Sparring

Was it good for you?

Absolutely. Although it can be difficult to manage my solo training time, at times.

I believe that if you want to learn proper distancing, timing and to truely test what you have learned (and what you think you're capable of), you need to have some form of reasonable contact, totally unscripted sparring.

Nope, I still train in both.

They offer me different things and I respect and value the style and teaching I'm given in the style I started in first. I do however now train both about as seriously as each other, because I've grown to respect the style I'm cross training in for more than I initially looked to use it for.

Why?

Yes, I continue to train in both styles.
As above.

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
The opportunity was there. Seemed like a good idea. It was.

Was it good for you?

It was awesome

Why?
It taught me different ways to move, different ways to fight, made new friends.

Did you swich martial arts after this?

No

Why?
I don't really switch styles, just add to what I have

Yep

Why?

Too cheap to buy a new gi. :)

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score

Was it good for you?
Why?
Why?
Why?

I did crosstrainig in Kenpo Karate for a year I did not return to it because of many factors: a) I began teaching in TKD, b) suffer from phasitis plantar and had to take things easy for a good recover and this thing did not allow me to put so much tension on my feet and in some way c) I had to choose and I choose to stay in TKD my primeary martial art.

In some way I did crosstraining because the lack of some things in TKD or the TKD dojang I go, this things are, very few adults in class, very few self defense techs or techs aplied to a morfe realistic scenarios, all classes are sport oriented and such things.

Manny

Started doing some grappling when I was a Brown in Kenpo. I loved it. I also started doing Arnis. IMO, it helped me greatly, as it expanded on the skills that I already had, as well as taught me some new ones. :)

I don't grapple as much currently, but I might resume soon. I still do Arnis. I don't actively train in Kenpo anymore, for various reasons, but I do maintain contact with some friends that train it. I've moved on to another art now, and I've been enjoying that, over the past 5 yrs.

Danny T

Senior Master
Reaction score
Don't really look at it as crosstraining. It is just training; more of it and in a different aspect but training non the less.
]Was it good for you?
Why?
Yes, worked on different aspects and skill sets. Different perspective toward training.
Why?
No, just continue to train in them all.
Why?
Yes, no reason to stop training something that is good and is effective for me and that I enjoy doing.

Reedone816

Blue Belt
Reaction score
not as deep as other in this thread, but i enjoy trying things.
Was it good for you?
Why?
yes, i found new perspectives in doing things.
Why?
before, yes, but now is back again, because i can see that the old one can do it too, just need better understanding.
Why?
same as above, i found less boundary, than before. in short i can incorporate the knowledge i gain from the new one to the old one. not necessary in technique, but in principality.