Nightingale

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Which martial art do you train in?
Why did you choose this art?
What do you like about it?
What do you NOT like about it?

Please don't let this turn into a "my art is better than your art" discussion. I'm just curious about the arts we have here and the reasons people train in them.

A

Angus

Which martial art do you train in? Currently, a mixture of Muay Thai, FMA, Wing Chun, etc...Inosanto/Chai lineage school.

Why did you choose this art? Accidently. I actually was just interested in finding a different school to study Muay Thai at, and all the other stuff was inconsequential.

What do you like about it? Variety.

What do you NOT like about it? Variety. Due both to the system and the instructor, techniques are more memorized rather than internalized and built upon. I'm actually not very happy with my current instruction.

KumaSan

Blue Belt
Founding Member
Reaction score
Actually, another hybrid here, with variety due to closeness with Ajarn Chai.

Which martial art do you train in? Muay Thai, with deferance to Guru Dan Inosanto and his Martial arts
Why did you choose this art? I found that my love of muay thai ran into my love of the Filpino martial arts. What do you like about it? Everyone is free to chose from their own strengths and weakness.
What do you NOT like about it? I like my friends. Not what I perceive of them.

Marginal

Senior Master
Reaction score
Which martial art do you train in? Taekwon do

Why did you choose this art? It was free

What do you like about it? Pretty much everything. (Lame answer, but true.)

What do you NOT like about it? Class doesn't meet often enough. Accursed intermurals...

Aegis

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Jujitsu

It led on nicely from the Judo I learned for about 7 years prior to starting Jujitsu, and had more of what I actually wanted to learn in it.

I like the fact that while our style retains some of it's traditionality, we train against modern weapons and situations.

Not really much I don't like...

C

c2kenpo

American Kenpo (Previously TKD)

I wanted something that was based in self-defense but less leg movement. I don't like kicking as much due to injuires.

Kenpo is really broken down to a science of natural body movements that use our natural body alignment to create a self-defense system. Easy to do one you see that you have already been doing it. And harder to injure yourself doing natural motion.

Almost nothing outside of that when a Kenpo technique goes wrong (meaning the opponent doesn't end up where you want him) thinking outside of the box becomes a challenge. (Still learning however and getting better at it)

Fun Fun Fun!

7starmantis

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
7 Star Preying Mantis Kung Fu
I happened to study a form of kung fu as a kid for several years, then I studied JKD, so when I began looking for an instructor after having been out for a couple years, I was looking for JKD or Kung Fu, since I wanted to continue my training in Kung Fu mostly. As it would be there was only one Kung Fu school in my city, 7* PM. I reasearched the instructor and visisted the classes for almost a year before begining classes. Now I wouldn't train with anyone else!!
As far as the system itself, I enjoy the direct practicality of it. It is very effective and straight forward as well as having the traditional effects. It is very beneficial and practicle yet still being beautiful and complete.
There isn't much I don't like about my system. If I had to choose something I don't like I guesss it would have to be the complexity of the techniques although that is also something I like very much about the system, kind of a bitter sweet I guess.

7sm

Bod

Purple Belt
Reaction score

Judo

I wanted to learn about balance. I knew that the kung fu and ninjutsu I had leaernt relied on being able to throw at some point, but I had never got a chance to practise the throwing bit.

The full on action: We go at it at full strength in randori (sparring). Ground fighting is great fun.
The practicality: Bouncers swear by it. It's great for restraining people non violently, which is something you don't always learn. I'm not scared of some big guy getting past my punches and levelling me.
The skill: Unless you are a big guy you have to learn skill, flexibility and feeling. You need to learn about balance, your own and your partner's.

Injury, followed by injury, followed by injury...

arnisador

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score

Modern Arnis

Convenience--other arts I studied for a few years then had to drop when either I moved or the instructor did. But my Modern Arnis instructor was a good friend who lived in my hometown where I'd spend summers.

The sticks are fun! It teaches realistic things about weapons attacks and has a flexible, natural response, and lets you innovate techniques from early on.

I miss kata.

OP
Nightingale

Nightingale

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score

Almost nothing outside of that when a Kenpo technique goes wrong (meaning the opponent doesn't end up where you want him) thinking outside of the box becomes a challenge. (Still learning however and getting better at it)
[/B]

This is where "grafting" comes in. If he's in the wrong place for the end of one technique, he's in the right place for the end of another one. Try putting the two together.

M

Master of Blades

I do Kali, mainly becuase my dad does it and wants me to do it. Im still doing it 4 years on and I still love it becuase of the brutality and the lack complicated patterns etc. It is simple and therefore great for self defence. I love most things about it. There is nothing I dont like about the class but there is some stuff about the way its being taught that I dont agree with, but yet that is another subject.

Zujitsuka

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Originally posted by nightingale8472

Please don't let this turn into a "my art is better than your art" discussion. I'm just curious about the arts we have here and the reasons people train in them.

I currently train in Boxing and an eclectic form of Jujutsu (stand-up).

I chose these arts because of their practicality in regards to self defense.

I love Boxing because I can go full power with my punches, and I also get hit so that I know what I can and cannot take.

The style of Jujutsu that I train in is great because it teaches one how to be efficient and how to use any body part as a weapon.

What I don't like about Boxing is that it is tough on your body. My wrists and my hands hurt sometimes. I'm told that power punchers like myself have these kind of problems. :)

What I don't like about Jujutsu is that it is tough on my wrists and my fingers. There nothing like an underbelt applying a kote-gaeshi full speed or a finger lock and asking you "Am I doing it right?" while you're on the floor squirming in pain and tapping like crazy.

Hmmm. Maybe I'm not a power puncher after all. Maybe just a used-and-abused uke, huh? :)

Peace...

jfarnsworth

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
You know I have to be partial to the art I'm in. The kenpo system has just about (almost) everything I'm looking for in an art. We just don't do enough ground work in our class. You just never know when you might find yourself on the ground. I would like to be prepared.

karatekid1975

Master Black Belt
Reaction score

Tae Kwon Do.

Convenience. The school was close. Plus it didn't seem to be a McDojang :D Now I know it's definitely NOT a McDojang. I was also looking for something that was similar to TSD.

Most everything so far. My dojang is more "traditional" than most TKD dojangs. The disipline is unbelievable! :D

Not enough self defense, still. But it is taught more often at later ranks, so I will stop b**ching about it when I get my blue belt (get to go to the advanced class) LOL.

Y

yin_yang75

Jeet Kune Do....Why?

Kali, JuJitsu, Wing Chun, Jun Fan, Muay Thai, Silat, Kempo, Shootfighting, Savate, and the list goes on.

Plus self defense and knife and stick disarms and Bondo for the dump truck martial artist. It's a buffet, I take what works and identify what doesn't so I know it when it comes at me.

I never leave that school without something new I learned.

B

Blackdragon

The martial art I'm currently taking is Wing Chun.I previously took Shotokan. Wing Chun seems to be the art for me. Not to say that Karate isn't a good style( believe me, it IS a good style ), Wing Chun was just my "thing". Just like some people prefer Muay Thai or Capoeirra. Not to say one is better than the other, it's just what they like to do.
So far I'm liking everything about the style, only catch is that I'm gonna have to incorporate some grappling some other way.
(sigh) I love martial arts.:)

E

Elfan

Originally posted by nightingale8472

Kenpo

There was a school across the street.

Kienesloly applied as practical self defense... and its a lot of fun!

How fractured the kenpo comunity is. Everyone seems to have formed their own little sub group and their seems to be little comunication between most of them.

Hollywood1340

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Fellow Artists,
Currently I train in three arts, Kodokan Judo, TaeKwonDo, and GM Pelligrini's Combat Hapkido.

My original goal was to be in the movies. People in the movies kick. TaeKwonDo seemed natural. Then one day my instructor invited me to Hapkido Classes, and I've never left. I've always wanted to do Judo, throwing people is immense fun, as is being thrown.

The blend I get out of them. TKD is my long range standing art, CHKD is close in, I can remain standing or take the ground if I need too, and Judo is a great transition from standing to groundwork if they survive the initial throw. Competition in Judo and TKD is cool too.

Some say it's all about control. Some say devastation. Well give me controlled devastation any day.

The fact my life interfeers with my training :D