Are you doing the one you wanted?

chrismay101

Green Belt
Reaction score
Just a quick Question.

Are you doing the the martial are you wanted or are you doing the one circumstances allowed?

And why did you choose the martial art you did?

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I have been doing TKD since 1984 and at first it was the one that was a nore hardcore Art when I firsted moved to Cali. but today it is the Art of choice. It is a well rounded Art with every aspect that I want in it. We do both Olympic and Traditional so everything goes in the Art of TKD.

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Just a quick Question.

Are you doing the the martial are you wanted or are you doing the one circumstances allowed?

I really wasn't into sports when I was in high school, so my father had suggested I try the Martial Arts. I didn't drive at the time, so we looked for a place that was nearby, which turned out to be a SKK school. I took a class, and have been training ever since! :) While I've moved on from SKK, I'm still with Kenpo. I'm glad I found that school, as it got me started on my MA journey, gave me the chance to meet a number of fantastic people, and opened my eyes to the many other things out there. :)

Mike

Drac

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I found Combat Hapkido 4 years ago and really like it, and I have dabbled and picked up techniques from a wide rannge of disciplines..

bydand

Senior Master
Reaction score
Imagine my dismay, great thread title, but I didn't check which section it was in.:uhyeah: :angel: I had a really clever answer and everything already in mind to post.

As for the MA's, I am where I want to be right now. It is not the art I originally wanted it to be, but originally, I didn't know spit from shine-ola when it came to the arts. I wandered from art to art for quite a while and never really felt at "home" in any of them. When I found "MY" art, I knew it was what I wanted and needed to be.

Shaderon

Master of Arts
Reaction score
*Looks up* Absolutely disgusting, honestly you can't find decent people any more can you? It's exactly what I thought.... :lfao:

I didn't know what I wanted when I joined, I only knew "wow I wanna be as good as that" when I saw the instructor show off a little. Now I know it's exactly what I want, I've had time to settle in and my enthusiasm has grown with my training.

Catalyst

Blue Belt
Reaction score
For me, it was never about a specific art or style, it was about the people doing the art. (It makes perfect sense to me)

When I decided to get into MA's, I visited schools and Kempo vs. Shotokan Karate vs. TKD all looked exactly the same to this untrained noob.

I went with the instructors/school/group of people that I feel most comfortable with. Which group of people did I want to spend 5 hours per week with. Which group of people would I want to invite over to my house, etc.

To answer your question, I'd have to say I'm doing the one I wanted because I'm training with the people I wanted to train with.

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score

Yes and no

I originally wanted Chen style Taiji and trained it until the teacher stopped teaching so circumstances lead me to Yang style Taiji

I originally wanted Xingyiquan and again trained it until my sifu stopped teaching and later circumstances lead me back to Xingyiquan.

I never even thought of Sanda but Circumstances lead me to Sanda and I am absolutely thrilled with it.

Brian R. VanCise

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
I have been blessed with great instructor's who are all experts in their chosen discipline's. I still train with everyone of them as much as possible and continue to develop and practice what I train and teach in. So yes I am thoroughly doing the system that I want to do but it is constantly evolving.
icon6.gif

Shotgun Buddha

Brown Belt
Reaction score
Yes and no.
Im in two clubs right now, and joining a third soon.
The MMA club is absolutely perfect for me.
The Aiki-wa Jitsu club Ive a few gripes with, but I get enough of what Im looking for from it.
And the Kendo club I still have to find out.

fnorfurfoot

Senior Master
Reaction score
Sort of. When I was looking for an art to study I thought that I would probably end up with TKD because at the time, I was big into Hackey Sack and figured that a kicking art would fit me. Then I saw The Perfect Weapon and I fell in love with Kenpo. I found a school and talked to the instuctor who told me that they did the exact same are as I saw in the movie. I knew enough about the differences between Kung Fu, Karate, TKD, and Aikido, but not enough about the different types of Kenpo/Kempo. The school I started with was an offshoot of Villari's Kempo. It took me quite a while to realise that it wasn't the same. My instructor slowly started adding in various techniques from Parker's Kenpo and I started to see the difference. Of course the Parker techniques that I was learning were coming from a Villari point of view.

Now, I'm learning the rest of the Parker techniques on my own while continuing my training with one of my first instructor's teachers. I've also started with another instructor who has a varied background and I am now teaching a blend of all of these styles. So now, I have a style that I love. One that is evolving and one that I can call my own.

Motz

White Belt
Reaction score
Both my previous (Judo) and current art (BBT) were chosen for me by friends who already practiced them. In the latter case I outlasted the friends in question, but faded out a few years back. Earlier this year I was missing Judo and idly contemplated taking it up again, when another friend mentioned that his dojo was suffering from a dwindling class size, so I went along and haven't looked back since :)

IcemanSK

El Conquistador nim!
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I started Taekwondo in 1982 not knowing a lot about MA. I feel in love with it. I started watching "PKA full-contact karate" on ESPN & thought that would be a great extension of TKD for me. In 1994, when I got humiliated by a GM for having a "bogus" 2nd Dan cert., I went to a kickboxing gym. I trained there for a number of years. Now I train exclusively in TKD under a great GM. I do look at parts of other arts & things I find interesting. But nothing has caught my attention like Taekwondo.

jdinca

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Yes, I am. I couldn't ask for anything more.

To be honest, I had no idea what I wanted. This was a suggestion as something to do with the kids. I was hooked from day 1.

IWishToLearn

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
I LOVE what I'm doing. It fills my needs. However, that doesn't mean I'm not always searching for ways to improve and ways to increase my own understanding. ;-)

bluekey88

Senior Master
Reaction score
Currently, I'm not doing the art that I originally wanted...but I can;t complain becuase TKD is now the art for me.

I wanted to get back into Aikido...but the nearest dojang was too far away and I couldn;t make the timing work. Besides, my son wasn;t really into it...I was looking inot MA as something to help him (as it once helped me).

My son got invited to the local dojang by a friend and really took to TKD. I signed him up, but I admittedly had a poor image of TKD at the time. I was really impressed with the instructors. Watching my son train got me a little jealous...after my daughter got hooked, I signed up a week later. I've not looked back since.

I still have the itch to train other arts...my wife accurately pointed out I;d gladly use all my free time to train as many different arts as possible if I had the time or money. (I was just geeking out over a western martial arts Irish stick fighting school I just found :D) Who knows what the future brings.

Peace,
Erik

kidswarrior

Senior Master
Reaction score
Just a quick Question.

Yes/no/yes/no.... :) It seems life rarely takes a straight course anywhere. I 'really wanted' to do traditional hapkido--still do!--but if my joints couldn't do it 15 years ago, not likely the tendons, ligaments, and cartilage in and around my knees have gotten a lot better in the meantime. :rofl:

So, moving on. (This comes in a multivolume set, too, for all who are interested). Next went to Shaolin Kempo. Spent years there, but in the end felt the brand I was learning was short on practicality, although long on fun and dojo safety.

Thus, began cross training in Kung Fu San Soo. Now I had a true, full-blown combat art. But studio was short on fun and safety, and a few years in I suffered irreparable damage to vertabrae in my neck (which affected nerves in my arm). Didn't want to be the greatest fighter to ever win from a wheel chair, so had to give up those classes.

Anyway, after almost 15 years of such circuitry, now practice a blended form of all of the above, and teach kids who can't afford lessons. I learn, they learn, good stuff. Did I end up at the destination planned from Day One? Obviously not. Am I where I want to be. Absolutely.

If you read this whole post, you have qualified for a free trip. Just print, clip, and mail to North Pole. Details will be in the mail. :wink1:

Touch Of Death

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
When I was ten and joined the Martial Arts I wanted Kung Fu. Thankfully, Matt David's (Sterling Peacock's) Head instructor lied to my dad, and said that Kenpo was Kung Fu. Sometimes lying isn't that bad.:angel:
Sean