Are you doing the one you wanted?

Laurentkd

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I was 6 and wanted to do "karate
My parents signed me up for a community ed program which as Taekwondo.
Loved it from day one

Shaderon

Master of Arts
Reaction score
When I was ten and joined the Martial Arts I wanted Kung Fu. Thankfully, Matt David's (Sterling Peacock's) Head instructor lied to my dad, and said that Kenpo was Kung Fu. Sometimes lying isn't that bad.:angel:
Sean

Bad man!! lol that's one way of getting students! :lfao:

morph4me

Goin' with the flow
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Imagine my dismay, great thread title, but I didn't check which section it was in.:uhyeah: :angel: I had a really clever answer and everything already in mind to post.

As for the MA's, I am where I want to be right now. It is not the art I originally wanted it to be, but originally, I didn't know spit from shine-ola when it came to the arts. I wandered from art to art for quite a while and never really felt at "home" in any of them. When I found "MY" art, I knew it was what I wanted and needed to be.

The story of my life, thanks for not making me write all that :D

Laurentkd

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
When I was ten and joined the Martial Arts I wanted Kung Fu. Thankfully, Matt David's (Sterling Peacock's) Head instructor lied to my dad, and said that Kenpo was Kung Fu. Sometimes lying isn't that bad.:angel:
Sean

haha! :rofl:
Heck, most people don't know WHAT they want when it comes to martial arts. I say if you let them try out your program and see if they like it, and if they like it they can stay on and if they don't they can move on, then no harm no foul! (waiting for the negative rep for this one!)

Touch Of Death

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
haha! :rofl:
Heck, most people don't know WHAT they want when it comes to martial arts. I say if you let them try out your program and see if they like it, and if they like it they can stay on and if they don't they can move on, then no harm no foul! (waiting for the negative rep for this one!)
I wanted Kung fu like in the Jackie Chan movies or Bruce lee.
Sean

gblnking

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Unfortunately for my area I'm limited to a very small selection of differant styles. Compouond it with my work schedule and it makes my choices even more limited. But I am hopeful.

kidswarrior

Senior Master
Reaction score
Yep! The kids reached orange belt, got bored and refused to go anymore. Me? I'm still there working out and teaching 12-14 hours a week.

Awesome! Good on ya'. :ultracool Funny how things work out sometimes. (And that's a lot of teaching, assuming you've got a full-time gig, too).

Flying Crane

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
I was a kid, and I wanted to learn martial arts but didn't know much about one from the other. A kenpo school was the only thing in my area, so I started with that. Kenpo was less well-known in that area, so part of me sort of wished it was something else, but in retrospect I am glad it was different and less well-known, and I think it's a good art.

Later, I got interested in Capoeira, and moved halfway across the country to San Francisco to train. Later, I began looking around at what else is available in this area (lots!) and I found a couple of teachers of Chinese arts whom I respected, and I have been training with them for several years.

Recently I found another kenpo teacher and decided to retrain again and return to my roots.

I guess the short answer is: yes, but I didn't always realize it.

Touch Of Death

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Did you get it?
Or did you find that you wanted something else all together?
Hell no, I didn't get it; however, I did learn I liked Kenpo. I only went that summer, and it inspired me to join another Kenpo that lucky for me was still Parker based when I was fourteen.
Sean

Kacey

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I fell into MA accidentally; I started because the guy I was dating at the time talked me into it over a period of months - but I lucked into a wonderful sahbum who I've been studying with for 20 years, and I wouldn't have it any other way; at this point, TKD is such a big part of my life, that when I can't work out I get antsy and start looking for classes - any classes - that I can fit into my schedule. I can't imagine living any other way at this point.

KempoGuy06

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I didnt know what I wanted to train in I just knew that I wanted to train. I looked at a couple schools but none of them felt right. The school Im at now is a smaller school and what really caught my attention was the fact that the instructor was so passionate about what he was teaching. Im a new purple belt in SKK and absolutely love it. It has benefited me im more ways than one. I plan to stick with it for life but I will venture off here and there to learn new things from differnet styles. Im thinking Hung Gar Kung Fu but that wont be until I get my BB so Ive got a couple of years.

B

Zida'sukara

Black Belt
Reaction score
Yep I choose the Art that I wanted. After a gap of almost 12 years, I still want it. During this gap I was always thinking about "my" Art, I even used Passwords on the internet and on the computer with terms from "my" art all those years. (no not here, it would make it to easy to crack my password. :p ;) )

Yes I am addicted and obsessed. :D

It makes me very happy that my way is open to train again. So I am really sure it is the Art that I want. :)

The movies maked me join "my" Art. I have posted more about this in another thread but I love "my" art better in real life than in the movies.

stickarts

Senior Master
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Just a quick Question.

Are you doing the the martial are you wanted or are you doing the one circumstances allowed?

And why did you choose the martial art you did?

I started formal training by circumstance. It was a school that was along a route that I drove often and the art was one recommended to me by a friend. Since then I have expanded a great deal and the path I chose had a lot to do with the teachers that I liked and respected as well as the arts that suited me.

K' Evans

Orange Belt
Reaction score
I am definitely doing the art that I want. I should say though that I didnt expect how well it might fit me, and also that I would land up with an instructor that is following the school of thought that I liked. Initially I wasn't aware of the different schools of thought in my art, and it was merely by luck and coincidence that my instructor is schooled in the one I would have picked if I knew it beforehand.

As for the reasons behind picking JKD, it was simply because I am in agreement with its central philosophy (though heavily debated and interpreted in different ways) and I liked its approach (i.e. scientific, simple and direct).

Although I really was in doubt abt cross-training and whether I should take up another art for all sorts of various reasons, after having a thorough discussion with my Sifu in our private lesson, I came to appreciate my art a lot more and resolved to stick to it, without being distracted by other arts or styles. It is more important to be comfortable, competent and proficient in one foundation than juggle with many (at least for me now).

Zenaphobe

White Belt
Reaction score
Currently I am not training with anyone because I haven't found what I want yet.

I took 2 years of Hung Gar kung fu, but didn't feel like I was getting what I wanted from it.

I am raising a family, working, and take classes right now, so whatever I find needs to be a convienient distance away.

Ideally, I want to take Wing Chun, but alas, there is no school in reasonable distance.

I have contacted some people in this area with little success of finding anything right now.

LawDog

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I started training in boxing and Judo at the same time, reason, H.S. Freshman tend to get their butt's kick alot. I then started training in boxing and Judo. A few years later I was told that there was a local martial arts style that was a combination of Karate and Jujitsu, I then signed up at this local Kenpo school. I have stayed with Kenpo ever since.
:ultracool

karatekid1975

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Yes and no. I have a really confusing story, but I'll make it short.

I started in TSD. At the time, I didn't know the difference between styles. All I knew about martial arts was what I saw in the karate kid movies. So I looked at different dojangs. The TSD one just "felt right." So I joined. I fell in love with the art from the start. I learned about other styles while I was training there (they mixed in other styles as well). I didn't have to cross-train either. They had it all.

I moved a year later, though :( I now do TKD. It was basically one that circumstances allowed. I joined one dojang with my honey. Stayed for a year. But it was too "sport" at the time. I went to another for a year, but it was a McDojang (I was stuck that long cause I worked there). Then I went back to the first one (my honey talked me into it). I stayed for 2 and a 1/2 years. I left again. I had a falling-out with the head instructor.

I checked out other dojangs, but nothing felt right. Then my best friend asked me to train with her (she has a charter school under the same instructor as above). I said ok. I know how she was as an instructor since we both do Jujitsu and I saw her do her forms and OMG!!! She is amazing to watch. So now, I feel at home with her dojang.

Don't get me wrong, if I had the chance, I'd go back to TSD (providing it is a good dojang, that is). I do miss it a lot.