Aikido.. The reality?

Status
Not open for further replies.

jayoliver00

Black Belt
Reaction score
No one is carrying around a 3 sectional staff because it's very difficult to use. That's not some kind of weapon you just pick up and land successful attacks on someone.

Lol dude, c'mon. So you think it's not b/c it's ridiculously clownish to be caring around a 3sect staff out in public, on the metro, etc.? What next, nobody carries an 8ft spear anymore for self defense? Or how about, maybe it's also b/c it's illegal & you can't get a permit to carry it? Or there are such things as, subcompact 9MM pistols?

jayoliver00

Black Belt
Reaction score
Understood and you are right to say that just because they are untrained with the weapon that equates to fumbling it. The range of weapons that started this discussion included 3 sectional staffs as well as a bat.

With the exception of the baseball, I think he chose those weapons with the purpose of building a strawman argument. I mean, who's going to find a 3sect staff or rope dart lying around on the streets during an altercation? Or who's going to carry those as weapons for the streets, whether trained or not?

Articulated weapons whether they have 2 joints or 1 are not simple to use, imo. Can you use them ? Yes. Will you more than likely bonk yourself in the head or testicles ? Also a yes.

Why would anyone swing a 3sect staff through their legs for, during a fight? Because they're too long. This is not a technique. I have both the 3sect staff in standard & a set that's a little longer than chucks, but 3 sections; you can't swing them through the legs. I don't remember striking my nuts, ever; when I started playing with any of them, including nunchuks. And I wasn't gifted or anything; just a kid watching Bruce Lee movies and then buying them. Nobody taught me, no schools, nothing; just movies. It ain't rocket science to hit a guy with 2 sticks on a chain.

Bats are more simple and can be used more intuitively and effectively compared to a 3 sectional staff. People untrained with bats may understand the power that they can posses and may also be reluctant to use them effectively for fear of consequences. There are a lot of variables to consider for sure but to say that picking up any weapon is better than picking up no weapon is not necessarily a no brainer. If you pick up a bat and don't know how to use it, you better swing it with some intent because the trained fighter will use all their guile to make you commit to a swing and that is when the odds of being disarmed go in the favour of the trained fighter.

But you're screwed anyway vs. a trained fighter, if you're not trained; so what's the problem with picking up a bat? If I'm being attacked in the streets & I just happened to have a bat in my hand, I'm not going to think, gee, I better drop this bat b/c he may be a Champion fighter that will take my bat away & kill me with my own bat rather than just kill me with his strikes.

Yokozuna514

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
With the exception of the baseball, I think he chose those weapons with the purpose of building a strawman argument. I mean, who's going to find a 3sect staff or rope dart lying around on the streets during an altercation? Or who's going to carry those as weapons for the streets, whether trained or not?

Why would anyone swing a 3sect staff through their legs for, during a fight? Because they're too long. This is not a technique. I have both the 3sect staff in standard & a set that's a little longer than chucks, but 3 sections; you can't swing them through the legs. I don't remember striking my nuts, ever; when I started playing with any of them, including nunchuks. And I wasn't gifted or anything; just a kid watching Bruce Lee movies and then buying them. Nobody taught me, no schools, nothing; just movies. It ain't rocket science to hit a guy with 2 sticks on a chain.

But you're screwed anyway vs. a trained fighter, if you're not trained; so what's the problem with picking up a bat? If I'm being attacked in the streets & I just happened to have a bat in my hand, I'm not going to think, gee, I better drop this bat b/c he may be a Champion fighter that will take my bat away & kill me with my own bat rather than just kill me with his strikes.
I watched the video you posted and we do see a guy come out with a bat. Did he lay anyone out with it ? Not from what I saw. Did he make his attackers think ? Yes. If he was swinging that bat against a trained fighter, the end of the story may have been very different but we will never know because the video is what it is and the scene plays out one way.

A trained fighter being attacked by a guy with a bat could have done a myriad of things to take that bat away. He could have gotten his own weapon (a la Harrison Ford from Raiders of the Lost Ark). He could have improvised a weapon. He could have used distraction. The list goes on but again the video shows a guy pull out a bat and attacks his opponents with it until they scatter. Were his opponents trained fighters ? Maybe, maybe not but in this instance the bat made a difference. Does it prove that a random weapon may increase your chances against an attacker ? Yes. Was it take away from the guy ? No (but we don't know if the opponent was a trained fighter for the purposes of our discussion). Will the weapon be more dangerous for the person taking it out ? Well, Lucy will have some splaining to do to Ricky and it may just and that guy in jail but you can decide whether that is "dangerous" to themselves or not.

OP
JowGaWolf

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
So you think it's not b/c it's ridiculously clownish to be caring around a 3sect staff out in public, on the metro, etc.?
The metro doesn't have to be the public place where someone would carry a spear. It doesn't even have to be a public place. It could be a private one. As for permits on what you can carry. It just depends on the local laws.

Ridiculously clownish? Depends on the person carrying the spear. I personally don't walk with one because it's inconvenient. Me walking down the street with a spear = a lot of police stops and explaining. No one is going to let me in the store with it. Leaving it outside is a no go. Personally my take on spears is that no one gets randomly stabbed by one.

3 section staff would be easier to walk around with because you can toss it in a bag like this wear it on your back and no one would know. Because of that, it may be necessary to register it as a concealed weapon. Each state here will determine what's allowed and how.

1621448833321.png

Man pulls out his sword on a Subway to break up fight. The sword wasn't random. The random part were 2 men fighting on that day, while on the same train next to the guy with the sword. I'm pretty sure that guy ca

You just never know what people prefer

But back to spear and attacks. Some are recent..

November 20, 2019 - Man stabbed to death with spear
Source: Man stabbed to death with spear identified by Jefferson Parish coroner

January 21, 2021 - Indiana man charged with attempted murder after allegedly stabbing man with spear
Source: Indiana man charged with attempted murder after allegedly stabbing man with spear

August 9, 2020 - Lancaster: Man Stabbed with Spear when Disputes Escalates
Source: (Lancaster: Man Stabbed With Spear When Dispute Escalates – ONSCENE.TV)

November 6th 2020 - Redding man arrested for attempted murder after stabbing victim with spear-like weapon
Source: (https://krcrtv.com/news/local/redding-man-arrested-for-attempted-murder-after-stabbing-victim-with-spear-like-weapon)

Sept. 18 2014: Homeower Recounts Stabbing Intruder with Spear
Source: ( https://www.nwahomepage.com/knwa/homeowner-recounts-stabbing-intruder-with-spear/)

November 2, 2017 Man Charged in "Antique spear" stabbing
Source - (Man charged in "antique spear" stabbing | All News, News | Indian River County, sebastian police department, spear stabbing, stabbing, Vero News | Vero News)

February 2, 2013 - Man accused of stabbing cop with double-headed spear.
Source - (Man accused of stabbing cop with double-headed spear)

August 28 2020 Shirtless, spear-weilding man allegedly stabs teens in Times Square
Source - (Shirtless, spear-wielding man allegedly stabs teen in Times Square)

May 27, 2019 Police: Pocatello man used spear in attack on individual
Source
- ( Police: Pocatello man used spear in attack on individual)

April 5, 2016 British man stabbed to death with spear in Algarve

Source - (British man stabbed to death with spear in Algarve)

September 11. 2013 - Cougar attack thwarted by man with spear
Source (https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/british-columbia/cougar-attack-thwarted-by-man-with-spear-1.1701427)

Shatteredzen

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Lol dude, c'mon. So you think it's not b/c it's ridiculously clownish to be caring around a 3sect staff out in public, on the metro, etc.? What next, nobody carries an 8ft spear anymore for self defense? Or how about, maybe it's also b/c it's illegal & you can't get a permit to carry it? Or there are such things as, subcompact 9MM pistols?
Dude I always have my 3 section staff when I'm on the metro, have you not seen under siege 2?

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
Are we speaking in code at this point? Seems to be a lot of uncomfortable male subtext going on in this thread, all the talk about staves and spears. I wonder what Freud would say? :D

OP
JowGaWolf

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Are we speaking in code at this point? Seems to be a lot of uncomfortable male subtext going on in this thread, all the talk about staves and spears. I wonder what Freud would say? :D
ha ha ha.. Dude was weird. He probably would have a lot of say. He was never short in that subject matter. Dr. Ruth probably would probably set him straight. Freud is a case study within himself lol.

Shatteredzen

Purple Belt
Reaction score
He'd probably say sometimes a cigar is just a cigar but don't ride the metro without your three section staff...

Last edited:
OP
JowGaWolf

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
He'd probably say sometimes a cigar is just a cigar but don't ride the metro without your three section staff...
Wasn't he afraid of trains? or Train travel? something like that

Just looked it up. He had a fear of Train Travel. Boring stuff until the doctor that was helping him with the fear questioned Freud's dream. Apparently Freud had a dream about his mother in the nude. So long story short. His friend wonder if it was a repressed memory of him seeing his mom nude when he was 4 years old.. then blah blah blah..usually references. lol.

You could probably could drop Freud out of the plane and it would lead back to something relating to male or female lol.

Unfortunately he never traveled to China. I'm pretty sure that would have taken on a whole new world of theories. lol

Just learned that Freud was a cocaine addict. Now things make sense lol.

Last edited:

jayoliver00

Black Belt
Reaction score
I watched the video you posted and we do see a guy come out with a bat. Did he lay anyone out with it ? Not from what I saw. Did he make his attackers think ? Yes. If he was swinging that bat against a trained fighter, the end of the story may have been very different but we will never know because the video is what it is and the scene plays out one way.

That bald guy was getting beat up until he got the bat & started swinging. You're just nitpicking in trying to tell me that the bat didn't help.

And what's this, "trained fighter" thingy? Can you define what the qualifications are for being a "trained fighter"?

A trained fighter being attacked by a guy with a bat could have done a myriad of things to take that bat away. He could have gotten his own weapon (a la Harrison Ford from Raiders of the Lost Ark). He could have improvised a weapon. He could have used distraction. The list goes on but again the video shows a guy pull out a bat and attacks his opponents with it until they scatter. Were his opponents trained fighters ? Maybe, maybe not but in this instance the bat made a difference. Does it prove that a random weapon may increase your chances against an attacker ? Yes. Was it take away from the guy ? No (but we don't know if the opponent was a trained fighter for the purposes of our discussion). Will the weapon be more dangerous for the person taking it out ? Well, Lucy will have some splaining to do to Ricky and it may just and that guy in jail but you can decide whether that is "dangerous" to themselves or not.

I guess real life is not like in the movies nor choreographed McDojo training then.

jayoliver00

Black Belt
Reaction score
The metro doesn't have to be the public place where someone would carry a spear. It doesn't even have to be a public place. It could be a private one. As for permits on what you can carry. It just depends on the local laws.
Ridiculously clownish? Depends on the person carrying the spear. I personally don't walk with one because it's inconvenient. Me walking down the street with a spear = a lot of police stops and explaining. No one is going to let me in the store with it. Leaving it outside is a no go. Personally my take on spears is that no one gets randomly stabbed by one.

3 section staff would be easier to walk around with because you can toss it in a bag like this wear it on your back and no one would know. Because of that, it may be necessary to register it as a concealed weapon. Each state here will determine what's allowed and how.

Name 10 States ins the USA where you can get a permit to carry 3 sectional staffs. What State are you from & can you get a permit to carry your 3sect staff there?

View attachment 26780

Man pulls out his sword on a Subway to break up fight. The sword wasn't random. The random part were 2 men fighting on that day, while on the same train next to the guy with the sword. I'm pretty sure that guy ca

You just never know what people prefer

But back to spear and attacks. Some are recent..

November 20, 2019 - Man stabbed to death with spear
Source: Man stabbed to death with spear identified by Jefferson Parish coroner

January 21, 2021 - Indiana man charged with attempted murder after allegedly stabbing man with spear
Source: Indiana man charged with attempted murder after allegedly stabbing man with spear

August 9, 2020 - Lancaster: Man Stabbed with Spear when Disputes Escalates
Source: (Lancaster: Man Stabbed With Spear When Dispute Escalates – ONSCENE.TV)

November 6th 2020 - Redding man arrested for attempted murder after stabbing victim with spear-like weapon
Source: (https://krcrtv.com/news/local/redding-man-arrested-for-attempted-murder-after-stabbing-victim-with-spear-like-weapon)

Sept. 18 2014: Homeower Recounts Stabbing Intruder with Spear
Source: ( https://www.nwahomepage.com/knwa/homeowner-recounts-stabbing-intruder-with-spear/)

November 2, 2017 Man Charged in "Antique spear" stabbing
Source - (Man charged in "antique spear" stabbing | All News, News | Indian River County, sebastian police department, spear stabbing, stabbing, Vero News | Vero News)

February 2, 2013 - Man accused of stabbing cop with double-headed spear.
Source - (Man accused of stabbing cop with double-headed spear)

August 28 2020 Shirtless, spear-weilding man allegedly stabs teens in Times Square
Source - (Shirtless, spear-wielding man allegedly stabs teen in Times Square)

May 27, 2019 Police: Pocatello man used spear in attack on individual
Source
- ( Police: Pocatello man used spear in attack on individual)

April 5, 2016 British man stabbed to death with spear in Algarve
Source - (British man stabbed to death with spear in Algarve)

September 11. 2013 - Cougar attack thwarted by man with spear
Source (https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/british-columbia/cougar-attack-thwarted-by-man-with-spear-1.1701427)

Well yeah, I didn't say that their weren't any mentally ill people and/or those who wanted commit a crime with such weapons, would do so.

And all of these stories you dug up, so you think that these people were all trained Ninjas with their weapons? Or did they just use an edged weapon like an edged weapon; a blunt one, like a blunt one, etc. I think you're helping me prove my point that stabbing someone with the pointy end is not rocket science.

geezer

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
The concept of a random weapon doesn't sit well with me.
This is why I've totally "salted" my neighborhood with potential weapons. Went to home depot and bought a bunch of sticks and bricks and planted them all around the area ...behind bushes and the cable boxes, etc. The neighbors keep finding them though and chucking them out. Jeez, it's getting to be almost a full time job just to keep re-stocking the place!

OK ...maybe I didn't actually do any of that... :p

OP
JowGaWolf

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Name 10 States ins the USA where you can get a permit to carry 3 sectional staffs. What State are you from & can you get a permit to carry your 3sect staff there?
I can only speak for Georgia on this one. It's almost open carry for anything. If I want to walk around with a sword, then I would have to get a long knife permit because the blade is longer than 12 inches.

For Georgia, the easiest way to know what you can carry is to first see what is illegal (a much shorter list).
Georgia bans certain types of operable weapons, including:
  • sawed-off shotguns and rifles
  • guns equipped with silencers
  • machine guns, and
  • dangerous weapons like rocket launchers, mortars, and hand grenades.
I don't even think the Three section staff would fall under any permit unless it's concealed. There's a lot of open carry stuff that's allowed both with and without a license. My spear would be legal without a license since the blade is shorter than 12 inches, concealment license wouldn't be necessary unless it was a short spear that can fit in a pouch. Staffs are a go without a permit. Most of Georgia's law seems to be based on concealment. So brass knuckles are illegal. Billy Clubs are illegal, Switchblades are illegal. I'm not sure how machetes work though. If you use them for the yard then or landscaping then yes. If you plan on using it as weapon then a license is needed I guess.

But other than everything pretty much goes here. If I want to walk around with metal throwing stars then I'll need a conceal weapon permit unless I just hang them off my shoulder sleeve then that's open carry. Flame throwers are probably legal here too. You can own one but will probably get arrested for public endangerment if you walk around with it.

Some states are strange with their weapons law. I think in Atlanta Sling Shots are illegal but go outside of Atlanta then they may be legal in a different city. This is the law for the city I live in

"No person shall discharge any firearm, air rifle, BB-gun, bow, or slingshot within the city limits." I'm not sure how this works being that there are gun ranges within city limits. The Bow and Slingshot are also strange. Sometimes City and County law conflict. So while it may be legal for county, you may still get in trouble with City. If it's legal for the city, then you may get in trouble with the County. Georgia is strange that way. But if I open up a range then all of this can be legal. Here' it's not illegal to have these weapons, it's just illegal to discharge them, but you can probably do so in the act of self defense. You just can't do target practice.

Here's another strange one
Sec. 42-11. - Fortune telling
No person shall engage in the business of palmistry, fortune telling, crystal reading, or in any method of predicting future occurrences within the city.

OP
JowGaWolf

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Well yeah, I didn't say that their weren't any mentally ill people and/or those who wanted commit a crime with such weapons, would do so.
In a world where there are people willing to believe that one political party eats babies, Honey Boo Boo is considered entertainment, and kids put Tide Pods in their mouths. It's probably safe to say that there's more craziness out there than one could ever imagine. Especially "In the good Ole USA where we do crazy right."

Some of the most normal people you see will have the biggest mental issues.

And all of these stories you dug up, so you think that these people were all trained Ninjas with their weapons? Or did they just use an edged weapon like an edged weapon; a blunt one, like a blunt one, etc. I think you're helping me prove my point that stabbing someone with the pointy end is not rocket science.
Bladed weapons are different because the blade itself is a risk factor you can't absorb a cutting edge the same way you absorb a blunt weapon. Blunt strikes that people walk away from with minimum injury cannot do the same if the attack was with the blade.

Most people have also handled knives before, so while there may not be any fighting training there is a familiarity with the knife and how to cut with it.

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
In a world where there are people willing to believe that one political party eats babies, Honey Boo Boo is considered entertainment, and kids put Tide Pods in their mouths. It's probably safe to say that there's more craziness out there than one could ever imagine. Especially "In the good Ole USA where we do crazy right."

Some of the most normal people you see will have the biggest mental issues.

Bladed weapons are different because the blade itself is a risk factor you can't absorb a cutting edge the same way you absorb a blunt weapon. Blunt strikes that people walk away from with minimum injury cannot do the same if the attack was with the blade.

Most people have also handled knives before, so while there may not be any fighting training there is a familiarity with the knife and how to cut with it.
Just a "for the record" post (not saying this "to" you or anyone else, but saying it because this topic often leads in this direction). The idea that mentally ill people are responsible for all or even most violent crime is not correct. People with mental illness are far more likely to be the victims of violent crime than the perpetrators of it. I invite anyone interested to do some research, and if I have some more time, I can share some information.

Point being, there may be a lot of crazy going on in the world (and in the USA), but crazy doesn't equal violent.

And as an aside, we do have a real problem with how we're helping people with mental illness. It's just one of many horrible issues we have with our health care system. The myth that people with mental illness are violent is actually a part of that problem, not an explanation for violence.

Yokozuna514

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
That bald guy was getting beat up until he got the bat & started swinging. You're just nitpicking in trying to tell me that the bat didn't help.

And what's this, "trained fighter" thingy? Can you define what the qualifications are for being a "trained fighter"?
I think we discussed this in previous posts. Perhaps you can look back so that we are on the same page.
I guess real life is not like in the movies nor choreographed McDojo training then.
No real life is not like in the movies or choreographed McDojo training. That is for sure.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
This is why I've totally "salted" my neighborhood with potential weapons. Went to home depot and bought a bunch of sticks and bricks and planted them all around the area ...behind bushes and the cable boxes, etc. The neighbors keep finding them though and chucking them out. Jeez, it's getting to be almost a full time job just to keep re-stocking the place!

OK ...maybe I didn't actually do any of that... :p

We actually did that as kids.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest Discussions