Status
Not open for further replies.
OP
JowGaWolf

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Just a "for the record" post (not saying this "to" you or anyone else, but saying it because this topic often leads in this direction). The idea that mentally ill people are responsible for all or even most violent crime is not correct. People with mental illness are far more likely to be the victims of violent crime than the perpetrators of it. I invite anyone interested to do some research, and if I have some more time, I can share some information.
I agree with you on this one. But you are are right. Great Point. Post away. Nip it before those assumptions come across.

Point being, there may be a lot of crazy going on in the world (and in the USA), but crazy doesn't equal violent.
Mentally ill doesn't equal crazy. Crazy should only be reserved for those of us who know better but still choose to be stupid. It doesn't always have result in violence, but sometimes it does. There is no shortage of people willing to do stupid things. On a good day, we may get a good laugh or even laugh at ourselves. On a bad day someone gets hurts be it intentionally or unintentionally.

And as an aside, we do have a real problem with how we're helping people with mental illness. It's just one of many horrible issues we have with our health care system. The myth that people with mental illness are violent is actually a part of that problem, not an explanation for violence.
I agree with this as well. I also think the U.S in general has a critical thinking problem as well which is not related to mental illness. I watched an interview of a lady who believed and act based on the most outlandish stuff she was reading and hearing. Then she says during the interview that he was able to get out of that "extreme response" was that she sat down, did some research on her own, and sat down and though about it. Before she said she wasn't thinking, she was just reacting.

OP
JowGaWolf

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
This is why I've totally "salted" my neighborhood with potential weapons. Went to home depot and bought a bunch of sticks and bricks and planted them all around the area ...behind bushes and the cable boxes, etc. The neighbors keep finding them though and chucking them out. Jeez, it's getting to be almost a full time job just to keep re-stocking the place!

OK ...maybe I didn't actually do any of that... :p
This is about as good as it gets in my area. Might help if the Balloon Clowns attack.

1621546885178.png

Sometimes you just gotta go all out on the Balloon Clowns
1621547532671.png

jayoliver00

Black Belt
Reaction score
In a world where there are people willing to believe that one political party eats babies, Honey Boo Boo is considered entertainment, and kids put Tide Pods in their mouths. It's probably safe to say that there's more craziness out there than one could ever imagine. Especially "In the good Ole USA where we do crazy right."

Some of the most normal people you see will have the biggest mental issues.

Bladed weapons are different because the blade itself is a risk factor you can't absorb a cutting edge the same way you absorb a blunt weapon. Blunt strikes that people walk away from with minimum injury cannot do the same if the attack was with the blade.

Most people have also handled knives before, so while there may not be any fighting training there is a familiarity with the knife and how to cut with it.

so based on my video, the baseball bat worked.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Are we speaking in code at this point? Seems to be a lot of uncomfortable male subtext going on in this thread, all the talk about staves and spears. I wonder what Freud would say? :D
I'm still trying to figure out the Freudian allegory represented by a three-section staff. Ow.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score

There really is a disconect in Aikido. Where they think if they can argue well enough they can change reality.

The old, it works because all these reasons. And all this clever wordplay.

If enough stories come out of Aikido success. Or enough tales about how you are really training personal growth. Then Aikido will work.

And that method is wrong and if they continue trying to make Aikido work with stories. Aikido will never work.

And I don’t even think it is an effective way to achieve personal growth. As it hinges on fantasy and excuses.

RagingBull

Green Belt
Reaction score
why is it my job to disprove your opinions,,

its your to prove them, this is the same nonsence the religious trot out where they require you to prove there is no god

if what you said was factually correct then you can prove it so, if you cant it's an opinion, you cant turn an opinion into a fact by giving me more opinions
Nice to see you are still being the Forum buffoon
The Forum whipping boy :rolleyes:

jks9199

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Folks,
Let's remember to keep things polite, and avoid style bashing.

Jks9199
Admin

Hanzou

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Glad to hear that I'm not the only one who talks about "The Honesty of Training."

That video is a complete waste of time.

If we took 2 average individuals who were identical twins and had one of them train 5 years in Bjj or Judo and the other train 5 years in Aikido, the twin who practiced Bjj or Judo would simply have more martial prowess than the Aikido twin. We could do this for 10 years, 30 years, or a lifetime, and we’d get the same results.

If you’re some huge burly guy, I’m sure you can make Aikido work on smaller or untrained people. However, if you’re a larger person, pretty much anything you do would work on a smaller untrained person. The goal is to see a much smaller person pull off their techniques effectively against larger people. I have witnessed that in Bjj and Judo. I haven’t witnessed that in Aikido.

Perhaps Aikido is better served as a capstone MA for experienced martial artists? Like if you have a black belt in Bjj or Judo, you should then do Aikido for some spiritual training.

Last edited:

RagingBull

Green Belt
Reaction score
That video is a complete waste of time.

If we took 2 average individuals who were identical twins and had one of them train 5 years in Bjj or Judo and the other train 5 years in Aikido, the twin who practiced Bjj or Judo would simply have more martial prowess than the Aikido twin. We could do this for 10 years, 30 years, or a lifetime, and we’d get the same results.

If you’re some huge burly guy, I’m sure you can make Aikido work on smaller or untrained people. However, if you’re a larger person, pretty much anything you do would work on a smaller untrained person. The goal is to see a much smaller person pull off their techniques effectively against larger people. I have witnessed that in Bjj and Judo. I haven’t witnessed that in Aikido.

Perhaps Aikido is better served as a capstone MA for experienced martial artists? Like if you have a black belt in Bjj or Judo, you should then do Aikido for some spiritual training.
I have also trained in aikido & i can say 100% forget the steven seagal films ... aints gonna happen.
if this dude did not get it can you imagine aikido?

OP
JowGaWolf

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I have also trained in aikido & i can say 100% forget the steven seagal films ... aints gonna happen.
if this dude did not get it can you imagine aikido?
In all honesty, no one is going to be able to fight a gang of people like that regardless of the system you train. A person who trains Aikido would do better that the coach. The onlookers who the attackers ignored did a better job than the coach.

In situations like that, it's not always about your fighting skills and this is something that many self-defense classes talk about. Best skill to have in situations like this is to read the environment. Don't just rush in.

Last edited:
OP
JowGaWolf

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
No they wouldn’t.
There were by standers in that video who did better. They weren't beat to a pulp and they didn't have to spend the night in the hospital. The person who video recorded the fight did better than the BJJ coach. That person not only didn't get their butt kick, but they were able to provide useful video for the police.

If you are thinking about that video in terms of who would have been able to fight better in that situation then you are missing the whole point.
1. You can't save everyone.
2. If Fighting is your only answer to how to address stuff like that , then you fail to understand the reality of the situation.

Bjj jumps into a fight where there are multiple attackers in an effort to save someone. End result. They beat his but and the person they were originally attacking. Double loss. In addition to that, he'll be lucky if he can remember what any of those people look like. Another loss.

Streetfights and conflicts on the street don't play by the same rules as fighting in the ring. I don't know how many times that has to be said in here. Because of that you can't go into those types of conflicts with the idea that you can fight your way out, or even with the idea that they won't turn on you. You also can't go into those situations where you think the only trouble you have to worry about is from those who are fighting the guy. Anyone in that crowd can be allies with the people doing the beating.

I'm pretty sure you'll see more video of BJJ and MMA being used in a street fight than Aikido being used in a street fight. There is a slim chance that an Aikido person would have engaged in the situation like the BJJ coach would have. I do kung fu and there's no way in the world I would have engaged like the BJJ coach did.

Every solution to trying to stop a fight in the street isn't choke hold, a punch, or a kick. Stopping a fight doesn't require that you get in between the 2 people fighting. In this case you had multiple people involved so the best thing you can do in this situation is not try to walk in the middle of it "Like you go street Credit."

I don't know anyone's youth background here, but the stuff that I had to deal with from the streets was always this done with the reality "Pick your conflicts carefully. Pick your fights with the understanding that you'll lose. All is fair game in a street fight." If you still want to fight after considering this then go for it. Just understand that's the reality of what you are about to enter into.

Last edited:
OP
JowGaWolf

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
If the reason why we don't see a lot of Aikido street fights on youtube is because the Aikido Practitioner is more likely to walk away from a fight than be in one. Then that's a lesson BJJ guy could have learn. Dial the cops, wait for the cops, take video so the cops will know who to arrest. Sometimes that's the best decision to take.

OP
JowGaWolf

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Just understand what you are getting into when you are about to fight in the streets. You can go in thinking you are going to choke someone out and leave with with a knife in you, a bullet in you, or you may not leave at all. Maybe I'm the only who factors things like this before deciding to get into a street fight.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest Discussions