2nd Amendment Quiz

Sukerkin

Have the courage to speak softly
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
:grins: Thanks Bill :). I'll have a bash at the test later - playing LOTRO right now

Bob Hubbard

Retired
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
"You answered 10 of 12 questions correctly for a total score of 83%."

I also disagreed with #10.

Sukerkin

Have the courage to speak softly
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I got 9 of the 12 right, which I think is pretty good for a dog-tired foreigner whose been drinking :D.

I tripped up on the one where the answer was "All of the above", the disreputable #10 and why that evil fellow who shot Senator Gifford was able to get his 'large capacity' mags {I still don't believe that the right answer is the right answer on that one :lol:}.

I reckon that shows that you chaps here have done a good job of making clear what the 2nd Amendment is about - take a bow.

jks9199

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
8 of 12. Disagreed with several. Got #10 "right" only because I knew what they would say, not my own opinion.

High capacity mags... Not evil. Consider that several mass shootings during and after the ban solved the problem the easy way. They had extra guns or lots and lots of magazines.

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I'm a retired LEO, I should have gotten all of them. I didn't.

As for disagreeing with any of them, I disagree with anything that prevents good people from protecting themselves and their families from bad people. As simple and naive as that may sound, it's not, it's the only thing that makes any damn sense.

Grenadier

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Got 11 or 12, simply because I said "Impossible to know" on one of the questions, instead of "probably not."

Haakon

Blue Belt
Reaction score
I got 10:12. Missed 7 and 10. I think their answer to 10 is debatable.

I hate quizzes where they put each question and answer on separate pages. Are they really that desperate to push advertising on their viewers?

OP
Bill Mattocks

Bill Mattocks

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I got 10:12. Missed 7 and 10. I think their answer to 10 is debatable.

I hate quizzes where they put each question and answer on separate pages. Are they really that desperate to push advertising on their viewers?

Yep, they are. :)

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
Missed 6 and 9 it was down to two answers and I guessed wrong but if you get less than a 50 percent on that thing whether or not you are from the USA and if you are fluent in English all it proves is you did not take the time to read the choices I mean Starsky v. Hutch, jet fighters, and tanks, and be able to ventilate a soup can....come on.

Last edited:
OP
Bill Mattocks

Bill Mattocks

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Missed 6 and 9 it was down to two answers and I guessed wrong but if you get less than a 50 percent on that thing whether or not you are from the USA and if you are fluent in English all it proves is you did not take the time to read the choices I mean Starsky v. Hutch, jet fighters, and tanks, and be able to ventilate a soup....come on.

True, but not too many people, IMHO, know much about Miller, including that the layer and defendant did not even show up in court to argue their case; Miller had headed for the hills he came from, and the attorney had not been paid and so did not go to court. Miller was argued against an empty chair on the defense; the conclusion was inevitable and led to a monstrous injustice that is still being repaired. By allowing the government's argument that the 2nd Amendment applied to weapons that would or could be used by the 'militia' and then arguing that the short-barreled shotgun Miller was charged with having was not a 'military weapon', the government armed the gun-grabbers with a powerful argument that they clung to for decades; that the 2nd Amendment was a 'militia' right and not an 'individual' right. I was rather surprised to see the questions about Miller in the test, as well as the subtlety of the answers; not many would know Miller, even fewer would understand what happened then and what it meant. Good work to them for getting it right. But yeah, they softballed a few others.

lklawson

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Question 10 is an anomaly. It asks the participant to make an opinion statement about their belief of the intent of the 2nd Amendment, unlike the other 11 questions which ask questions of established fact ("how many X" or "the SCOTUS ruled X").

One of three things is going on with this quiz.
1) The question was poorly stated and could have been better written as something along the lines of, "According to written SCOTUS Opinions and prior rulings the 2nd Amendment protects individual rights to own machine guns, assault weapons, or even rocket launchers." or something similar.
2) The maker of the survey holds this opinion and, for whatever reason, included it in the survey, perhaps as a method of promoting his view.
3) The answer to question 10 was the real focus of a survey disguised as a quiz - i.e. find out what people's opinions are of the intent of the 2nd Amendment and correlate them to how educated they are on the legal history of the 2nd.

Maybe I just have my aluminum foil cap on too tight but 10 really stands out to me and waves a big red flag.

FWIW, I got 10 "wrong" too. Screw 'em. From what I can tell from the Founders writings, they intended that private individuals could own grenades, heavy cannon, mortars, and fully armed war vessels and those things were the WMD's of the day. That doesn't change just because technology advanced.

Peace favor your sword,
Kirk

Last edited:

lklawson

Grandmaster
Reaction score
True, but not too many people, IMHO, know much about Miller, including that the layer and defendant did not even show up in court to argue their case; Miller had headed for the hills he came from, and the attorney had not been paid and so did not go to court. Miller was argued against an empty chair on the defense; the conclusion was inevitable and led to a monstrous injustice that is still being repaired. By allowing the government's argument that the 2nd Amendment applied to weapons that would or could be used by the 'militia' and then arguing that the short-barreled shotgun Miller was charged with having was not a 'military weapon', the government armed the gun-grabbers with a powerful argument that they clung to for decades; that the 2nd Amendment was a 'militia' right and not an 'individual' right. I was rather surprised to see the questions about Miller in the test, as well as the subtlety of the answers; not many would know Miller, even fewer would understand what happened then and what it meant.
It's a double edged sword and most of those favoring the "military serviceability" seem to forget that, when pairing that test with the individual right which has now been upheld by the SCOTUS, it opens the door to arguing that individuals have a 2nd A. right to own "machine guns," "assault weapons," and "rocket launchers." I'm reminded of the old saw, "be careful what you wish for." ;)

Peace favor your sword,
Kirk

lklawson

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Question 10 is an anomaly. It asks the participant to make an opinion statement about their belief of the intent of the 2nd Amendment, unlike the other 11 questions which ask questions of established fact ("how many X" or "the SCOTUS ruled X").

One of three things is going on with this quiz.
1) The question was poorly stated and could have been better written as something along the lines of, "According to written SCOTUS Opinions and prior rulings the 2nd Amendment protects individual rights to own machine guns, assault weapons, or even rocket launchers." or something similar.
2) The maker of the survey holds this opinion and, for whatever reason, included it in the survey, perhaps as a method of promoting his view.
3) The answer to question 10 was the real focus of a survey disguised as a quiz - i.e. find out what people's opinions are of the intent of the 2nd Amendment and correlate them to how educated they are on the legal history of the 2nd.

Maybe I just have my aluminum foil cap on too tight but 10 really stands out to me and waves a big red flag.
To test out the above theories, I clicked on the 50 question, "Are you scientifically literate" 'quiz'. I was doing pretty good, clicking through questions about heaviest Noble Gas, most common gas in the atmo, that kinda stuff. On question 10, I got hit with "How old is the Earth?" and was presented with four answers, one of them being 4.5 Billion and one of them being ~6,000 years. 6K is how old certain Creationists date the Earth based on some genealogies in the Bible.

I also took part of the Money Management "quiz" and found a few questions which might be interesting to some people/orgs about what the people taking the quiz know about stuff like FICO and Sallie Mae repayment.

I think the Christian Science Monitor is data-mining these quizzes.

Peace favor your sword,
Kirk

punisher73

Senior Master
Reaction score
To test out the above theories, I clicked on the 50 question, "Are you scientifically literate" 'quiz'. I was doing pretty good, clicking through questions about heaviest Noble Gas, most common gas in the atmo, that kinda stuff. On question 10, I got hit with "How old is the Earth?" and was presented with four answers, one of them being 4.5 Billion and one of them being ~6,000 years. 6K is how old certain Creationists date the Earth based on some genealogies in the Bible.

I also took part of the Money Management "quiz" and found a few questions which might be interesting to some people/orgs about what the people taking the quiz know about stuff like FICO and Sallie Mae repayment.

I think the Christian Science Monitor is data-mining these quizzes.

Peace favor your sword,
Kirk

I didn't go to the other quizzes, but how some questions/answers were worded, there was a specific purpose behind them beyond testing the knowledge of the 2nd amendmant.

jks9199

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Well... the survey was from the CHRISTIAN SCIENCE Monitor... And Christian Science does kind of have an agenda & POV.

OP
Bill Mattocks

Bill Mattocks

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Well... the survey was from the CHRISTIAN SCIENCE Monitor... And Christian Science does kind of have an agenda & POV.

I think the CSM is reasonably clean of that sort of taint.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Christian_Science_Monitor

The paper has been known for avoiding sensationalism, producing a "distinctive brand of nonhysterical journalism".[4][5] In 1997, the Washington Report on Middle East Affairs, a publication critical of United States policy in the Middle East, praised the Monitor for its objective and informative coverage of Islam and the Middle East.[6]

Josh Oakley

Senior Master
Supporting Member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
It's a double edged sword and most of those favoring the "military serviceability" seem to forget that, when pairing that test with the individual right which has now been upheld by the SCOTUS, it opens the door to arguing that individuals have a 2nd A. right to own "machine guns," "assault weapons," and "rocket launchers." I'm reminded of the old saw, "be careful what you wish for." ;)

Peace favor your sword,
Kirk

Actually, I am all for it.

Sent from my ADR6350 using Tapatalk