1 step sparring

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
How many different pre-set one step and two step sparring does your school have in it curriculum amd how many are required to be made up by the student before testing for there BB? I ask because I have heard some do not practice them at all and others feel they are one of the most important aspect of training.

FieldDiscipline

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
How many different pre-set one step and two step sparring does your school have in it curriculum amd how many are required to be made up by the student before testing for there BB? I ask because I have heard some do not practice them at all and others feel they are one of the most important aspect of training.

We do 1 & 3 step. 3 step for beginners, 1 step more advanced.

I dont know how many set ones, there are a lot and I dont have them written down! Need more than 15 for BB test. Keep going until told!

I'm a 1 step fan!

Kacey

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
We do 3-step, 2-step, 1-step, model, and prearranged step sparring by I Dan - BUT except for basic 3 step, none of it is predetermined by the instructor; students create their own sets. They are given time during class, and are also expected to work with their partners on their own.

aplonis

Orange Belt
Reaction score
I know of no pre-arranged one-step sparring techniques required for testing in our org. Maybe some of the sister schools have them for below 1st dan, but ours certainly doesn't

For us, one-step is a chance to be creative, even spontaneous. It is also a chance to do a bit of MMA-like experimentation. So we have folks who've worked in elements from Jujutsu a nd Aikido, etc., into their personal one-step repertoir. And any of those which impress their classmates are stolen by them.

Only thing is that we don't take a hold or lock all the way to the floor but only to the point of obvious no escape, generally about one third to half-way down. Part of the reason for that is having a wooden floor and no mats. Thus it might seem an awkward ending, TKD-wise, but a good many of those are excellent positions from which to deliver a kick to the face. And you can't say it ain't TKD if it ends with a kick to the face, now can you?

WMTKD

Mark Lynn

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I believe in the AKaTo organization with Keith Yates there are four prearranged one steps for green belt and I think adults can even make up their own at that level.

For black I think it is do them till the instructor tells you it is enough.

I don't think they do three step sparring.

Under my instructor, we did one step self defense, same concept as one step sparring, but we added in techniques from any source not just TKD sparring techniques. Which is the way I teach them now.

(I'm not a full fledged member of the AkaTo organization, although I have been associated with it through my instructor over the years. Years ago when I set up a curriculmn for a class I was teaching I used their guidelines and I believe it is either 4 or 6 preset one steps, for that level.)

Mark

Mark Lynn

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Yesterday I was working with my son who I will be testing for Green belt with a blue stripe next week. Since I just started teaching again this past spring I have had to concentrate on teaching beginners up to Orange belts so I haven't really had the time and students ready to teach one steps. SO I have negelected this part of his training.

My son who is the oldest and biggest student in my class has been bugging me over the summer to teach him this area so that he will be ready for the test. Now he has been off and on in the MA for close to 10 years, he tested for orange belt in 02, then dropped out. He has been working with me with the filipino martial arts, off and on since then, and now that he is a young adult who is every bit as tall as me and strong as an OX, he helps me teach private classes and helps out in my TKD classes at the rec center.

SO I wasn't worried about him doing them (one steps) he just needed a partner to work with. So I'm his partner last night just Michael and I on the floor and I'm coming at him full speed and he is on his own coming up with his techniques. It was a wonderful time as he put together techniques and concepts that he learned when we were in Germany (a couple of weeks back at the DAV Modern Arnis Summer Camp) and applied them to his one steps. As we tweaked them and I offered suggestions on how better to position him self for this or that technique he would reply "Oh we can do that, cool that's what so and so showed me in Germany" or "How would I apply the dead zone that Dan (Anderson) showed us?" or "Can I use this elbow or knee?" we ended the lesson with him trying to apply principles that he learned in Germany on off balancing to his football ( he is a line man). But the gears in his mind are turning.

A martial arts father's dream come true.

I have got to go to his first scrimmage of the season now, probably the only time I will see him play this year Since my classes are the same night he plays. A martial art instructor's whose son plays hgih school football nightmare.

Mark

Balrog

Master of Arts
Reaction score
We do three one-steps for each of the first five colored belt ranks.

Kwan Jang

Purple Belt
Reaction score
We have twelve pre-arranged one steps to help students learn distancing and angles of attack before they go towards the pressure of more "live" training. I feel that, when used properly, one steps are an excellent way of drilling a student on a new concept, technique or range. I don't think many would consider it a replacement for live training against a resisting or countering opponent, but it makes a very good intermediate step IMO.

exile

To him unconquered.
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
We have twelve pre-arranged one steps to help students learn distancing and angles of attack before they go towards the pressure of more "live" training. I feel that, when used properly, one steps are an excellent way of drilling a student on a new concept, technique or range. I don't think many would consider it a replacement for live training against a resisting or countering opponent, but it makes a very good intermediate step IMO.

I think this view of one steps gets their role in the curriculum exactly right. They help the student grasp the `model' before having to apply that model to the rough-and-tumble of live training. Abernethy and others who have written in detail about the need to develop the applications latent in formal patterns are always careful to identify something along these lines as a preliminary step in the free adaptation of those applications to the realities of an unscripted street attack by a noncompliant assailant.

As someone who always takes a long time to `get' the mechanics and spatial relationships involved, I feel very strongly that this stage should not be rushed. Live training is essential, but its benefits will be minimal unless the student really has a unitary, intuitive grasp of what is actually happening in the attack and the defensive counter to that attack. The one-step stage is crucial for acquiring that grasp and `grooving' it into muscle memory. What's really important is just how practical, and oriented to real street conditions, the one-step sequence in question is. Rehearsing sequences of move and countermove that are expectable in sparring competition only... that, I think, isn't going to get you anywhere, so far as SD is concerned. But if the moves are robust responses to common attack tactics, taking instinctive responses into account, and are difficult for the assailant to counter easily, then one-steps are an absolutely crucial part of learning serious CQ applications of TMA techs.

IcemanSK

El Conquistador nim!
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I couldn't have said it better than exile & Kwan Jang, above. They got to the heart of the reasons for one-steps.:asian:

Our curiculum has 20 pre-set one steps. Students then need to come up with many on their own for each rank. As intermediate students, they use intermediate skills. It's expected that the techniques increase in difficulty, focus, speed, power & control as their ranks increases. At advanced gup rank, students are asked to do 21-40 (which are 1-20 while the atacker throws the punch from the LEFT hand: therefore the defenses are doing from the opposite side). It's fun for the whole family.:ultracool

Balrog

Master of Arts
Reaction score
I feel that, when used properly, one steps are an excellent way of drilling a student on a new concept, technique or range. I don't think many would consider it a replacement for live training against a resisting or countering opponent, but it makes a very good intermediate step IMO.

Agreed. One-steps are excellent tools for the development of targeting, distancing and control. And in so doing, the students develop confidence in their own technique.

DArnold

Purple Belt
Reaction score

We have different types of pre-arranged step sparring throughout our entire curriculum. It is the link between learning techniques (patterns, line drills) and the ability to use them in sparring.

I know many make up the sets for their students but I have found that when you do this the students don't need/learn to think.

TKDmel

Blue Belt
Reaction score
We have about 4-5 one steps for each belt level. At testings, 3 are required to be done, as well as hoshinsul for each belt level. At the BB level, we are required to start making our own. They are a very important part as is all the material taught.

Flying Crane

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
I couldn't have said it better than exile & Kwan Jang, above. They got to the heart of the reasons for one-steps.:asian:

Our curiculum has 20 pre-set one steps. Students then need to come up with many on their own for each rank. As intermediate students, they use intermediate skills. It's expected that the techniques increase in difficulty, focus, speed, power & control as their ranks increases. At advanced gup rank, students are asked to do 21-40 (which are 1-20 while the atacker throws the punch from the LEFT hand: therefore the defenses are doing from the opposite side). It's fun for the whole family.:ultracool

I think this is very important. In kenpo, we have a very long list of what we call "self defense techniques", which seem to be a similar concept to the one-steps and such. I have always practiced all of our SD techs on both sides, altho this seems to be a controversial subject in the kenpo world. There are those who believe very strongly that it isn't necessary, even detrimental, since most people are right handed, so the attack and subsequent defense can be somewhat predictable in that way and you should always respond the most favorable way. I just disagree with that notion, and don't believe you can expect to have the luxury to make that choice.

Miles

Senior Master
Reaction score
We have 12 sets of pre-arranged 3 and 1 steps. By the time the student is a blue belt, I want him/her to come up with their own. I also teach portions of the poomsae as 1 steps.

Miles

motley23

White Belt
Reaction score
We have about 8 set one-steps until you reach green belt. From green belt until black it is one-step freestyle where anything goes.

chrismay101

Green Belt
Reaction score
We start off with 3 - step sparing 1 -9 pre set.
then we move onto 3 - step semi free sparing. next it goes to 2 - step and this is pre set next its 1 - step and this self learnt but the instructors are good so they will give feed back if thing will work or doomed to fail.

Latest Discussions