1-step sparring 2011

Markku P

Blue Belt
Reaction score
I did some 1-step sparring today with my wife. I started to forget so I had to some training!
Now after 4 hours I feel my body! ( we did some other Taekwondo & Hapkido training too..)

Here is a link:

Sorry about music :)

/Markku

PS: How many is still training 1-steps or 3-steps?

PPS: Does anyone have any clips from step sparring?

Last edited by a moderator:

troubleenuf

Blue Belt
Reaction score
We still do them. We have basic one steps for novice, advanced one steps, 3-2-1 steps, and more. Since we have went to a rotating curriculum for advanced students I have had to develop enough material to keep up so we have an abundance of new stuff to throw at the students. It keeps everyone on their toes including the instructors!

troubleenuf

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Really? We have been doing rotating curriculum for about 12 years and have had great success with it. What dont you like about it?

I am planning to quit with rotating curriculum ( after 6 years ) and go back to our old way but I think we will have more "theme" classes.

/Markku P

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
We still do them, we have three different set from beginners to advance. Al Black Belts need to make there own and keep them up to date and written down.

OP
Markku P

Markku P

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Really? We have been doing rotating curriculum for about 12 years and have had great success with it. What dont you like about it?

Actually I like rotating curriculum but now is time to do something different. I will try go with "theme" based classes and see how that will work. I have many who like to go and compete and others like to do poomsae or self defense, so I will give more choices for my students.

/Markku P

Earl Weiss

Senior Master
Reaction score
Our organization has very specific pre arrnaged sparrings in the form of 1,2,3, and pre arranged. They are similar to a 2 person pattern / form. They use classic technique and are used to learn things like application of classic techniques, angles, distance and so forth.

I have developed an adapted exercise I call street one steps. They come in 2 variations. Striking and grappling. No classical form requirements. Attacker attacks (Can be in front, to the side or behind) with either a strike or grab / hold and you must defend and counter. Emphasis is on efficacy and practicality.

We typicaly do this as a line drill. One person at the head of the line turns and faces the line. That person is the defender. Each person facing him in line takes a turn being the attacker and when thru goes to the end of the line. When each person has attacked the defender the defender goes to the end of the line and the next person becomes the attacker. You typicaly don't want a line longer than 5 or 6 so people don't spend too much time just standing in line.

TAGBmark

White Belt
Reaction score
In the TAGB we do 1-step and it's a requirement on your Dan grading, once you pass your Dan grading you can do 1-step with full takedowns and floor restraints, prior to that you can do anything aslong as you don't put them on the ground. We also do 3-step and 2-step dependant on grade level.

Manny

Senior Master
Reaction score
I did some 1-step sparring today with my wife. I started to forget so I had to some training!
Now after 4 hours I feel my body! ( we did some other Taekwondo & Hapkido training too..)

Here is a link:

Sorry about music :)

/Markku

PS: How many is still training 1-steps or 3-steps?

PPS: Does anyone have any clips from step sparring?

Thank you Markku, infact the one steps you perform are the same we are doing with little variances, I try to do one steps once a weel as a minimun or if class wants another things to do practice once every two weeks but no more than that because I feel one steps are a good tool to enhance timing and to keep sharp those technikes so we can progress to ho shi sul.

Manny

Last edited by a moderator:

hungryninja

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Are there any good books or videos out there that show standardized 1-step curriculum?

RobinTKD

Blue Belt
Reaction score
we also do a lot of one step, similar to your video, although we have to block and counter with the same speed you would use in a real altercation, and show control to not hit the attacker.

Latest Discussions