One Step Sparring

SilatFan

Green Belt
Reaction score
I was wondering how do you practice one step sparring at you academy? Do you make up your own, or does your school have a set already in place, or both? Are they usually against the same attack (ie, A right punch) or do the attacks vary from rank to rank? Such as for white belt all the attacks are right punches, for yellow belts all the attacks are left front kicks, etc, etc...

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
We have a set of eight that are tought though the progession of the beginning to intermediate belts, then they are require to make up about fifty before there BB test.

Kacey

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
We make up our own... but we don't start one-step until blue belt; we start white belts with basic 3-step, which is completely scripted, and work up through 3-step (unscripted), 2-step (unscripted), through 1-step, model, prearranged, semi-free, and free sparring... okay, we start free sparring a lot earlier than red belt, but we follow the above sequence for the rest of it.

fnorfurfoot

Senior Master
Reaction score
I like to vary the way I use one step sparring with my students. Sometimes I'll just have them use a particular attack for a few rounds and then change the attack. Other times I'll give them a particular attack to defend against and name three targets that have to be struck during the technique. Sometimes I'll limit them to a particular attack and require them to end their technique with a certain strike, hold, or takedown. Lastly, I'll have the attacker come in with whatever they want and make it a free for all.

OP
S

SilatFan

Green Belt
Reaction score
We make up our own... but we don't start one-step until blue belt; we start white belts with basic 3-step, which is completely scripted, and work up through 3-step (unscripted), 2-step (unscripted), through 1-step, model, prearranged, semi-free, and free sparring... okay, we start free sparring a lot earlier than red belt, but we follow the above sequence for the rest of it.

First off I want to thank both of you!!

Kacey,

Whats the difference between 3 step, 2 step and 1 step?

OP
S

SilatFan

Green Belt
Reaction score
I like to vary the way I use one step sparring with my students. Sometimes I'll just have them use a particular attack for a few rounds and then change the attack. Other times I'll give them a particular attack to defend against and name three targets that have to be struck during the technique. Sometimes I'll limit them to a particular attack and require them to end their technique with a certain strike, hold, or takedown. Lastly, I'll have the attacker come in with whatever they want and make it a free for all.

fnorfurfoot,

Is the training you're describing as 1 steps what I, as a person who is not very informed about Kenpo, might call Kenpo's self defense techniques (Like 5 swords)?

Thanks guys!

Kacey

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Whats the difference between 3 step, 2 step and 1 step?

Some general comments on how we do step sparring, first
- unlike free sparring, there are no illegal techniques in step sparring
- appropriate to the rank and abilities of the students, step sparring may include grabs, throws, and controls, although the focus of the sets should be on striking techniques (kicks and punches)
- all sets alternate - that is, if person A attacks and person B defends, then in the next sequence, person B attacks and person A defends, unless otherwise specified (e.g. if person A is testing and person B is not, then person B may be attacking only, especially in 2 step and beyond)

3 step involves repeating the same attack and block 3 times in sequence - basic 3-step is very codified, with the attacker performing 3 middle punches and the defender performing 3 middle inner forearm blocks (there's more, but that will get the idea), with both in walking (front) stance, then the defender counter-attacks with a reverse (rear hand) punch, and is learned by white belts. Once they have that format down, it is expanded to any other technique and stance the student knows, but still with the attacker performing the same technique 3 times and the defender performing the same block 3 times, and then one counter-attack. Generally speaking, all attacks are with the hands, although counter-attacks often include kicks. The focus of 3 step is distancing and timing.

2 step involves 2 different attacks by the attacker, and 2 different blocks by the defender. 2 step sparring in introduced at green belt (6th gup). The defender tells the attacker what attacks to use, including stance, height, and tool, and then blocks accordingly; after the second block, the defender counter-attacks. The number of counter-attacks varies depending on the rank of the defender and the difficulty of the techniques, but is usually no more than 3. The focus of 2 step is knowing the names of all of the techniques (so you can tell your partner what to do), understanding their applications, and knowing how to block them. Distancing and time is moved to the next level because the attacks are different, instead of the same as they are in 3 step.

1 step sparring involves 1 attack by the attacker, and 1 block by the defender, who then counter-attacks. 1 step sparring is introduced at high blue belt (3rd gup). The focus of 1 step is single-strike techniques - ending an altercation with a single strike, possibly 2 (depends on the technique).

Model sparring is 1 step performed at 2 speeds - the first is full-speed; the second repeats the same set at 1/2 speed or slower, to demonstrate technical proficiency.

Pre-arranged sparring is a set of 8-12 sets (one set being person A attack, person B blocks, person B attacks, person A blocks) that is predetermined by the participants. Pre-arranged sparring is introduced at red belt (2nd gup).

Semi-free sparring is an alternating set of either 2 or 3 attacks and blocks (one set being person A attack, person B blocks, person B attacks, person A blocks); however, it is not predetermined. At the end of the 2nd or 3rd set (depending on what the instructor calls for) the last attack is not countered, and is considered a "win". The only caveat is that whatever type of attack person A begins with (e.g. hand, foot, jumping, etc.) person B must use the same type of attack, and the sets must alternate between hand and foot attacks. Semi-free sparring is introduced at 1st Dan.

All of these drills were originally intended to lead up to free sparring at black belt, by which time they would have provided the participants with enough experience to be able to free spar without killing each other. In practice, however, free sparring begins at white belt; there are very few people who start MA and would be willing to wait 3-4 years minimum to learn to spar, especially those who start for the purpose of learn self-defense.

Brad Dunne

Brown Belt
Reaction score
We start a student right off in one steps. The only thing we due do at the beginning ranks is throw attacks slowly, so they can get used to stuff coming at them. The slow portion usually dosen't last all that long and this is because the student feels they can handle more input. We don't focus on the standard reverse or step straight punchs, although that is how we start them off with. We train against the boxers jab, the ever present roundhouse and the always popular lunge punch. We then go into kick defense's and then into weapons attacks (bat, pool cue, 2by4, etc). Because we're more Hapkido based, we use more angular aspects in our defense's as opposed to straight line applications. Now there is a fine line between them because we teach to not anticipate the attack, but to wait for initial contact and then reposition, it's a 1-2 but so quick it almost feels and looks like just 1 move. We do it from both left and right handed positions. Working against a boxers jab will open some eyes and make folks re-evaluate how they do things.

I understand why some folks use a 3 step drill, but we just have a different view on that. The 2 step drill that was mentioned may have some merit, but I find that if the final conditioning is to arrive at the 1 step level, then why not start there.

Kacey

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I understand why some folks use a 3 step drill, but we just have a different view on that. The 2 step drill that was mentioned may have some merit, but I find that if the final conditioning is to arrive at the 1 step level, then why not start there.

If it works for you, great! We find that having a sequence for students to progress through leads to greater understanding, and therefore more effective application. Also, in regards to 3 step (which is performed moving forward and backward) we find that, if we start with 1 step, too many students stay in one place instead of learning to move around their opponent to attack from different angles - something it sounds like you do as well. Different methods of instruction aimed at the same outcome.

fnorfurfoot

Senior Master
Reaction score
fnorfurfoot,

Is the training you're describing as 1 steps what I, as a person who is not very informed about Kenpo, might call Kenpo's self defense techniques (Like 5 swords)?

Thanks guys!
One step sparring for us is having a partner punch in for you and you defend yourself with whatever comes to mind. They are made up techniques. Sometimes I give them specific attacks so that they explore the different ways to react to that one type of strike.

These are not self defense techniques which are scripted. This is a way to see what you can come up with on your own.

crushing

Grandmaster
Reaction score
The beginners start with the challenger always stepping into a high punch and the recipient would start off with blocks and return strikes based on the basic drills. It's really simple at first. As the artist grows, the instructor will have the agressor throw different hand strikes, then eventually add kicks to the mix, and the recipient of the attacks will get more creative with defending and returning the attack.

matt.m

Senior Master
Reaction score
We have a set of 26. The thing is that they are in sets of three until brown and red belt, then they are 4. Also, we have the WTF and ITF poomsea in pairs until testing for red and dan. Then we have three.

In the one step sparring we use what what set in stone by late GGM Park. He had a text published and it hasn't been changed. Just very minutely modified.

Bret Hinds

Green Belt
Reaction score
We teach a least three one steps to our white belts and add at least three new ones to each belt ranking, they are to learn new ones as needed gun knife defense etc. All the best in the arts