Types of sparring

SahBumNimRush

Master of Arts
Reaction score
I'm curious, after reading some recent KKW threads, how many and what types of sparring to you practice in your dojang?

We have:

• 3 step sparring
  • 1 step sparring
  • kneeling sparring
  • one step weapon sparring
  • freestyle knife sparring
  • freestyle sparring (tournament rules: kicks above the waist, nothing to the back, and only closed fist punches to the body)
  • advanced/black belt sparring (take downs, sweeps, throws , open hand techniques, and punches to the face are allowed)

Typically in day to day class, we mainly only practice 1 step and freestyle sparring, but I throw in the others on a fairly regular basis.

andyjeffries

Senior Master
Reaction score
Typically we only do the following:

• 3 step sparring For low grades only
  • 1 step sparring For intermediate-advanced grades
  • one step weapon sparring We do prearranged self-defences against weapons, like this I guess
  • freestyle sparring (tournament rules: kicks above the waist, nothing to the back, and only closed fist punches to the body) WTF rules

Jaeimseu

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
We don't do one step sparring, at least not the step back and low block type. We do sparring drills with or without hogu where one person executes a pre-arranged attack and then the other person executes a counter attack that it pre-arranged or limited to a few choices. It's similar to one step sparring, but I don't think of it as one step sparring.

We also do free sparring. It's typically done with WTF rules without head contact. The individual students make up their own minds regarding contact. Our dojang consists of adults only. It's a bit of a unique situation in Korea. 99% of our students aren't training for competition. They don't want to go to work with black eyes or busted lips.

sfs982000

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
In my school we have a dedicated sparring night on Fridays which normally consists of free sparring (mid to heavy contact) unless there is a tournament coming up then it's light contact point sparring. We also have one-step sparring and sparring segments as part of our normal curriculum. Sparring segments are required from White to Green belt and sparring segments are used for Purple and Blue belts, we practice both the one-steps and sparring segments both individually and with partners.

andyjeffries

Senior Master
Reaction score
We don't do one step sparring, at least not the step back and low block type. We do sparring drills with or without hogu where one person executes a pre-arranged attack and then the other person executes a counter attack that it pre-arranged or limited to a few choices. It's similar to one step sparring, but I don't think of it as one step sparring.

We also do these, but consider them sparring drills rather than step sparring per se.

OP
SahBumNimRush

SahBumNimRush

Master of Arts
Reaction score
When I started TKD back in the 80's, all white belts performed 3 step sparring, then at yellow belt we started 1 step sparring. Sometime in the 90's our KJN threw out the mandatory basic 3 step sparring for basic 1 step sparring. We still practice the 3 step sparring to keep the tradition alive though.

We usually only perform 1 step sparring and free style sparring in our regular classes. In BB class, we open it up a bit more to include weapons (1 step and freestyle) sparring, kneeling 1 step sparring, and advanced free sparring.

RobinTKD

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Is your one step weapons sparing using weapons or defending against weapons? We pretty much do the same as you, except our freestyle sparring is a bastardisation of the ITF rules (full contact, punches to the head, wearing a hogu).

OP
SahBumNimRush

SahBumNimRush

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Is your one step weapons sparing using weapons or defending against weapons? We pretty much do the same as you, except our freestyle sparring is a bastardisation of the ITF rules (full contact, punches to the head, wearing a hogu).

One step defense against weapons. However, our freestyle weapon sparring is typically one armed and one unarmed, so you are using techniques using weapons and using techniques defending weapons (typically knife).

OP
SahBumNimRush

SahBumNimRush

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Personally, I really like punches to the head, but we traditionally do not use that in our regular free sparring. Probably for safety reasons. I know back in the 70's, our KJN allowed punches to the face at his tournament.

Earl Weiss

Senior Master
Reaction score
3,2, & 1 Step, Semi Free, Free, Pre arranged Free (I know it's an oxymoron), Model, Foot technique.

chrispillertkd

Senior Master
Reaction score
3,2, & 1 Step, Semi Free, Free, Pre arranged Free (I know it's an oxymoron), Model, Foot technique.

Master Weiss, do you do 3-step sparring in two directions (i.e., the attacker going forward and backward), or just forwards?

Also, what do you think of the distintion between free-sparring and tournament sparring some people make? :)

Pax,

Chris

StudentCarl

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
Chris, please enlighten me.

Right now I'm imagining trying to spar while making exaggerated sine wave movements, so set me straight.

OP
SahBumNimRush

SahBumNimRush

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Wow! I'd seen this done in old school demo's back in the 70's and 80's before doing them full speed, but I just thought it was so the audience could see what the Koreans were actually doing.. . I had no idea that it was an actual standardized type of sparring.

chrispillertkd

Senior Master
Reaction score
Wow! I'd seen this done in old school demo's back in the 70's and 80's before doing them full speed, but I just thought it was so the audience could see what the Koreans were actually doing.. . I had no idea that it was an actual standardized type of sparring.

Yep. Good times. Good times...

A couple examples of Model Sparring for you. The first video is from an old (early 1980's) ITF training video.

And a demonstration from the 1970's with Grand Master Park, Jong Soo demonstrating model sparring.

Pax,

Chris

Edit: Tried embedding the videos but for some reason it didn't work.

Last edited by a moderator:

Earl Weiss

Senior Master
Reaction score
Master Weiss, do you do 3-step sparring in two directions (i.e., the attacker going forward and backward), or just forwards?

Also, what do you think of the distintion between free-sparring and tournament sparring some people make? :)

Pax,

Chris

I have done 2 way on occasion. It is not part of the regular curriculum.

While there is definitely a distinction between "Free Sparring" and tournament sparring, we really don't have time to practice it as such. We do what I call "Street One Steps' No formalities, they attack, you defend. We also do grappling sparring, but it is not part of the TKD curriculum.

Earl Weiss

Senior Master
Reaction score

Latest Discussions