One step sparring

Manny

Senior Master
Reaction score
One step sparring is not SD but it helps alot, this exercises taught us how to block or dodge or parry an income punch or kicks and how to counter, I think one step sparring is the prelude to Ho Si SUL (SD) and I don't know why it's practiced from blue or red belt and not yellow belt instead.

There are so many easy to follow one steps sparring to begin and this could be very helpful to hone one's skills since the begining.

Manny

dancingalone

Grandmaster
Reaction score
One step sparring is not SD but it helps alot, this exercises taught us how to block or dodge or parry an income punch or kicks and how to counter, I think one step sparring is the prelude to Ho Si SUL (SD) and I don't know why it's practiced from blue or red belt and not yellow belt instead.

There are so many easy to follow one steps sparring to begin and this could be very helpful to hone one's skills since the begining.

Manny

Odd. Every karate or TKD system I am aware of has one-step drills beginning right at white belt.

I'm not so much fond of the standard step-through punch attacks with a block and counter response, but I understand it's a starting place for exploring live training. Where I think one step drills are invaluable is to learn proper distancing against a variety of attackers, short or tall with the accompanying differences in reach.

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
We start them after the very first week of training, To me they are one of the biggest asset we have to use.

granfire

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
AS soon as you stop tripping over your feet we start you on one steps.

While they are pretty static, they can, once you get more into the flow of things, be turned into full scale SD scenarios, including takedowns.

OP
Manny

Manny

Senior Master
Reaction score
If I recall when I was young in my former dojang we started with one step sparring at green or blue belt level, the fect is in my actual dojang we do step sparring once in a while in the advance class where the blue belt and above are training. Something i recall of the old days is my former sambonim had a secuency of the one step sparring for example for green belt to advanced green belt we have to perform o.s.s. #1 to #5, from advanced green to blue belt # 1 to # 10 and so on.

Manny

ShelleyK

Brown Belt
Reaction score
My bad I was wrong, we do start at white belt. I totally forgot that we do simple blocks and punches ;)

DBZ

Orange Belt
Reaction score
AS soon as you stop tripping over your feet we start you on one steps.

While they are pretty static, they can, once you get more into the flow of things, be turned into full scale SD scenarios, including takedowns.

This is what we do as well.

Earl Weiss

Senior Master
Reaction score
FWIW the Chang Hon System does not start one steps at white belt as a formal part of the curriculum. (Individual schools may vary).

students are first taught 3 step sparring which has distancing as a primary goal, then 2 step sparring which teaches defense from combined hand and foort technique. Then 1 step is taught.

Earl Weiss

Senior Master
Reaction score

Manny

Whente ror not 1 step is a good self defense technique depends how you teach it. There is no universal methodology.

Similarly, as a "prelude" to ho Sin Sul is a problematic statement since, again there is no universal definition or methodology for Ho Sin Sul.

seasoned

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
My feelings on this are you crawl before you walk, walk before you run. The foundations of movement are being built, and will show up down the road.
icon7.gif

Daniel Sullivan

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
One step sparring is not SD but it helps alot,
Of course they aren't self defense. They are drills. One steps in most KKW TKD schools are drills geared towards WTF sparring, primarily as you describe below:

this exercises taught us how to block or dodge or parry an income punch or kicks and how to counter,
These are basically block and counter drills that can be applied to either tournament fighting or SD against strikes.

I think one step sparring is the prelude to Ho Si SUL (SD)
Possibly. You about about second dan as I recall (correct me if I am wrong:)). If you haven't seen any hoshinsul by now, chances are that the one steps your school does are mainly geared towards offense/defense in tournament.

Keep in mind that saying 'hoshinsul' implies a full range of techniques that includes grapples, locks, throws, and strikes, and the term is most often associated with hapkido, though there are TKD schools with a well developed hoshinsul curriculum. They are in the minority however.

and I don't know why it's practiced from blue or red belt and not yellow belt instead.

We start one steps at white belt, first week.

Daniel

wushuguy

Purple Belt
Reaction score

Manny

That is something I wish more TKD and Karate teachers would understand and teach. Too many times I've seen people in TKD and Karate equate 1 step sparring as self defense, even their teacher call them "self-defense" techniques or even that is their "self-defense" course.

For us, meaning myself and my students and others with similar view, one step techniques are great to help one learn the dynamics of motion in a fairly easy way, and good for learning body positioning and for learning stability in their stances while moving and applying techniques, as a prelude to deeper study such as pushing hands or sparring.

After learning a few things, this is the first thing my students learn, usually starts within the first week.

One step techniques are good for building blocks for practicing new techniques and getting comfortable with some possible uses before jumping into free-flow sparring.

Why some people wait till higher belts to begin teaching one steps, I can only guess. either they want the students to have a foundation in stances and forms before letting them apply with other people, perhaps the tradition of their art, or for some it could be a way to milk the students letting them reach for that ever elusive carrot...

OP
Manny

Manny

Senior Master
Reaction score
My bad I was wrong, we do start at white belt. I totally forgot that we do simple blocks and punches ;)

Shelly and all my friends, the one step sparring we do are not only simple blocks and punches, yes we do from white belt simple combos of blocks and punches but this does not means one step sparring for me. For example, student A performs a hammer punch to the head and student B blocks it with ogul makki and then do a reverse punch to the solar plexus is wath we do from white belt. The one step sparring we do are more complex and these from green belt.

Manny

dancingalone

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Ah. Perhaps you could describe one of the green belt one steps taught at your school then, Manny?

Latest Discussions