Your Sensei

lklawson

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Absolutely true I mean instructors teach because they like martial arts and want to do it.
OK.

But lets not pretend they do it out of the kindness of their heart. They do it for the money to, do you think any instructor would let anyone join if they can't pay? No of course not
Buffalo Bagels. I've known and trained with any number of instructors who often taught for free, just because they love their arts and wanted to pass them on. Most commercial schools are either barely afloat or actually losing money. Dues at my WMA club are $20 per month but for those people who can't afford it, I don't make them pay. I teach martial arts for free pretty regularly. When I teach pistol or CCW classes, I ask for donations; pay what you can or nothing if you can't afford it, because I want people to be legal and to be able to defend themselves. When I teach rifle classes, I have never asked for a dime.

And I'm not unique by any stretch. Have you heard of Operation Blazing Sword? It teaches introductory pistol and firearms safety to anyone who wants but is particularly directed at LBGTQ. Beyond that I can't tell you how many times I've been offered what is effectively free private training from people like the late Ken Pfrenger. I always offered money but he (they) always refused. I started taking food and staples (like diapers) instead.

So, no, the reason that most martial arts instructors teach is not for money. They teach because they love their martial art. And, frankly, yes, it's actually quite freaking common for instructors to let students join even if they can't pay. I've seen it more times than I can count.

JR 137

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I agree with the article, unless your teacher is up to some shady shenanigans. There is a line that one can cross, like when a teacher asks a student to stake out his girlfriend's apartment to find out if the girlfriend is cheating on him. (True story. Happened to one of my sihings.)

Did he get to wear a ninja outfit?

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I should probably say "I'm t a loss for words' and leave it at that......yeah, right.

I am feeling more than a little bad, though. Seems like some here have gotten royally screwed, not in any financial sense, but in a Martial one. My heart goes out to anyone who really doesn't have clue one about Martial ...well, anything really.

Been teaching for six months, three times a week - wow, vast experience
The Instructor does it for themselves - wow, I mean, Holy wow.

But, I think this thread should get some status.

LegendaryThread.jpg

Last edited:

TSDTexan

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Absolutely true I mean instructors teach because they like martial arts and want to do it. But lets not pretend they do it out of the kindness of their heart. They do it for the money to, do you think any instructor would let anyone join if they can't pay? No of course not

I taught for free right up until I formally enrolled in a new art. Simply to keep the art of TSD alive... because it was a gift:
And along time ago, in Okinawa, the old ones often gave it away as well.

So....
images (4).jpg

Last edited:

Latest Discussions