Your Sensei

OP
Bill Mattocks

Bill Mattocks

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I have dropped by my dojo at times and found my sensei on his hands and knees, cleaning the bathroom. This is a man who has taught for over 40 years. A Hall of Fame member of a very prestigious (read real) Organization. A professor at a university. A PhD. Owns his own business outside of the dojo (the dojo doesn't pay enough to do more than keep the doors open). A pilot. A father of very happy and successful children who have gone on to become great citizens themselves. A grandfather. And yes, by the way, a Sensei.

If nobody cleans the mats, the mirrors, the bathroom, he does it. He doesn't say a thing to anyone, he never demands anyone to do these things.

When I think of all the things he has given up to have the dojo doors open for myself and all the other students, in exchange for the paltry sums we all pay which as I said, barely keep the lights on and the doors open, I am glad, heck, I'm honored, to be able to give back in some small (and terribly inadequate) way.

In less than a decade, in a small room in a strip mall that could just as well be a Vape shop or a pizza store, I have made friends who mean more to me than most people I know. I have learned martial arts (barely, and so much more to learn) but well beyond that, I have gained something far more valuable than simply martial arts. I would not trade it for anything, and I don't think I can ever stop training now.

So yeah. I help to teach a few classes when asked. I volunteer when something needs doing. I don't ask what I can do to help, I look for things that need doing. And I'm far from the only one, some give much more of their time, effort, skill, and even money than I do.

Because my Sensei deserves it, and if he doesn't, I can't think of a soul in the world who does.

JP3

Master Black Belt
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I forgot to complete my thought, apologies.

It'll be your dojo, and you'll be sensei.... and it'd be nice to have respect for what you have sacrificed to be able to have students.

Flying Crane

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Well, it's a yes and a no. And it depends on the sensei. And likely he didn't do it all for you, as the article suggests. Rather, he did it for himself, and you came along later, after he decided he was willing to share the fruits of his labor with someone like you.

I think the article has truth in it, and is also overdone.

Tames D

RECKLESS
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
If nobody cleans the mats, the mirrors, the bathroom, he does it. He doesn't say a thing to anyone, he never demands anyone to do these things.
This is an important statement. Important, in that this particular business owner doesn't demand or expect his paying students to work for free. I salute him.
The other thread is about a business owner that expects and/or demands his paying students to teach for free at the expense of their own training. Big difference.

Headhunter

Senior Master
Reaction score
I have dropped by my dojo at times and found my sensei on his hands and knees, cleaning the bathroom. This is a man who has taught for over 40 years. A Hall of Fame member of a very prestigious (read real) Organization. A professor at a university. A PhD. Owns his own business outside of the dojo (the dojo doesn't pay enough to do more than keep the doors open). A pilot. A father of very happy and successful children who have gone on to become great citizens themselves. A grandfather. And yes, by the way, a Sensei.

When I think of all the things he has given up to have the dojo doors open for myself and all the other students, in exchange for the paltry sums we all pay which as I said, barely keep the lights on and the doors open, I am glad, heck, I'm honored, to be able to give back in some small (and terribly inadequate) way.

In less than a decade, in a small room in a strip mall that could just as well be a Vape shop or a pizza store, I have made friends who mean more to me than most people I know. I have learned martial arts (barely, and so much more to learn) but well beyond that, I have gained something far more valuable than simply martial arts. I would not trade it for anything, and I don't think I can ever stop training now.

So yeah. I help to teach a few classes when asked. I volunteer when something needs doing. I don't ask what I can do to help, I look for things that need doing. And I'm far from the only one, some give much more of their time, effort, skill, and even money than I do.

Because my Sensei deserves it, and if he doesn't, I can't think of a soul in the world who does.
Good for you what do you want a medal? Honestly just because I don't worship my instructor and kiss his feet and scrub his toilets that seems to be taken as disrespectful and you find your teacher cleaning his bathroom....well it is /his/ school so it's his responsibly to keep It clean and he's the only one making a penny from it no matter how much he's still earning. I always find that so stupid when people think an instructor shouldn't be the one to keep there club tidy

Headhunter

Senior Master
Reaction score
Well, it's a yes and a no. And it depends on the sensei. And likely he didn't do it all for you, as the article suggests. Rather, he did it for himself, and you came along later, after he decided he was willing to share the fruits of his labor with someone like you.

I think the article has truth in it, and is also overdone.
Absolutely true I mean instructors teach because they like martial arts and want to do it. But lets not pretend they do it out of the kindness of their heart. They do it for the money to, do you think any instructor would let anyone join if they can't pay? No of course not

Kickboxer101

Master Black Belt
Reaction score

Yeah that's that unhealthy obsession with your instructor that head hunters talking about. The instructor does it for themselves no one else if you left he wouldn't give a damm apart from the money he's losing

Ironbear24

Senior Master
Reaction score
Good for you what do you want a medal? Honestly just because I don't worship my instructor and kiss his feet and scrub his toilets that seems to be taken as disrespectful and you find your teacher cleaning his bathroom....well it is /his/ school so it's his responsibly to keep It clean and he's the only one making a penny from it no matter how much he's still earning. I always find that so stupid when people think an instructor shouldn't be the one to keep there club tidy

Why the hostility and attitude for? Recently your posts seem to be really angry lately or rather, agitated. The point is we are often very thankful for what our sensei's, sifu's, coaches do for us. So when they ask us for something as simple as teaching newbies some basic stuff that we should all be practicing anyway. Then by all means we will do it because it is the least we can do for all the services they provide.

I understand we pay for the training, but a big method of learning and training is to have you teach, if you are capable of teaching something that means you know it fairly well, at least we'll enough that he trusts you to do it.

Stop and think about that for a moment. That is a compliment, he is telling you hey, I trust you enough because you know it well to show someone else. I am sometimes told to help newer students and I always get excited. If you don't feel the same way that ok, but to be utterly angry over it is not something I can agree with.

It's not kissing his feet, it's not worship, it's simply kindness and respect.

Last edited:

Ironbear24

Senior Master
Reaction score
Yeah that's that unhealthy obsession with your instructor that head hunters talking about. The instructor does it for themselves no one else if you left he wouldn't give a damm apart from the money he's losing

I seriously doubt that. Bill is in the Dan ranks and has been there for a very considerable amount of time. From the way it sounds they have a lot of respect for each other.

Headhunter

Senior Master
Reaction score
Why the hostility and attitude for? Recently your posts seem to be really angry lately or rather, agitated. The point is we are often very thankful for what our sensei's, sifu's, coaches do for us. So when they ask us for something as simple as teaching newbies some basic stuff that we should all be practicing anyway. Then by all means we will do it because it is the least we can do for all the services they provide.

I understand we pay for the training, but a big method of teaching is to have you teach, if you are capable of teaching something that means you know it fairly well, at least we'll enough that he trusts you to do it.

Stop and think about that for a moment. That is a compliment, he is telling you hey, I trust you enough because you know it well to show someone else. I am sometimes told to help newer students and I always get excited. If you don't feel the same way that ok, but to be utterly angry over it is not something I can agree with.

What attitude I'm stating my opinion and people just don't like it that's the problem and frankly I'm not angry I'm stating an opinion. I respect my instructor for his skills and his time but that's it and honestly the way people are talking it's like I'm upset about taking 1 class....I've been teaching non stop for over 6 months 3 times a week and never been looked at once at my own stuff after I made an agreement that I wouldn't teach because I stated my issues with it.

Kickboxer101

Master Black Belt
Reaction score

I understand we pay for the training, but a big method of teaching is to have you teach, if you are capable of teaching something that means you know it fairly well, at least we'll enough that he trusts you to do it.

You telling someone about anger issues? The one who would happily have beaten up his uncle because he felt disrespected...hmmm

Kickboxer101

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
What attitude I'm stating my opinion and people just don't like it that's the problem and frankly I'm not angry I'm stating an opinion. I respect my instructor for his skills and his time but that's it and honestly the way people are talking it's like I'm upset about taking 1 class....I've been teaching non stop for over 6 months 3 times a week and never been looked at once at my own stuff after I made an agreement that I wouldn't teach because I stated my issues with it.
I personally think everyone's getting butt hurt over your comments but you're right that's total bs especially if there was an agreement in place. The guy broke your trust and an agreement and lied to you so he could get you in his school to pay him

Ironbear24

Senior Master
Reaction score
You telling someone about anger issues? The one who would happily have beaten up his uncle because he felt disrespected...hmmm

I never beat him up. All I did was toss him on the floor. Literally did nothing else, that was also over a year ago or something so I don't understand how this is relevant at all. This place has actually helped me mature alot and I haven't done anything like that all year.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Not all dojos are about the money, many I know of are run as clubs with the students being members and everyone pitches in to help. The money 'charged' goes straight back into buying equipment, paying rent etc. If the club is in a poor area and people can't always pay, the members fund raise to make sure everyone who wants to trains, this is especially important for children. Most of the places that aren't clubs don't run on a profit, they merely cover the instructors costs, with the instructors having other full time jobs. We do have a very few commercial places here but they are run as businesses should be.

wingchun100

Senior Master
Reaction score
I agree with the article, unless your teacher is up to some shady shenanigans. There is a line that one can cross, like when a teacher asks a student to stake out his girlfriend's apartment to find out if the girlfriend is cheating on him. (True story. Happened to one of my sihings.)

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I agree with the article, unless your teacher is up to some shady shenanigans. There is a line that one can cross, like when a teacher asks a student to stake out his girlfriend's apartment to find out if the girlfriend is cheating on him. (True story. Happened to one of my sihings.)

Was she? You can't leave the story there! :D