Your Scariest???

MA-Caver

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I think the scariest movie I ever saw was Napoleon Dynamite, because I realized towards the end that there was ~90 minutes of my life that I would never get back.
(sounding like Napoleon)... such an idiot!

tko4u

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
probably house of 1000 corpses, just kinda creeped me out knowing that could actually happen

zDom

Senior Master
Reaction score
I'm going to have to go with RECENTLY WATCHED movies (last couple of years), as those are the ones that come to mind and overshadow memories of other scary movies.

Top Three:

Event Horizon
The Descent

All three of these get the coveted "Hell NO I Won't Watch That Again With You" Award from my GF :)

Definately great stuff for a Halloween Movie Marathon. The first I found last year when it was recommended as one of the scariest movies ever. I wasn't disappointed. GF was very angry we watched it :)

The second two were more recent movies that also did not disappoint.

Honorable mention: White Noise was very scary toward the end, but takes awhile to get there.

girlbug2

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Kubrick's "The Shining". It creeped me out when I first saw it in the '80s and I just saw it again the other day; still a genuine masterpiece. I honestly don't know why the other version was ever made.

The scariest book I ever read was Pet Sematary by Stephen King. I had many sleepless nights and nightmares after I read it in the 8th grade. The movie version however was laughable.

zeeberex

Green Belt
Reaction score
Halloween is almost upon us. What is the scariest book you've read or movie you've seen? TV series count too. :D

For me, the two scariest books I've read are The Shining and The Amityville Horror.

I can't think of a movie right now, but I loooove the "A Haunting" series on The Discovery Channel.

Camping last october on a night with no moonlight. Miles from the car, heard something not far behind me. Don't know how long it had been there. Turned out to be a mountain lion.

MA-Caver

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Kubrick's "The Shining". It creeped me out when I first saw it in the '80s and I just saw it again the other day; still a genuine masterpiece. I honestly don't know why the other version was ever made.
While we and much lauded critics hail Kubrick's version of SK's novel the author himself did not. Thus managed to write his own screenplay and got Mike Garris to direct it. If you had the misfortune and saw Maximum Overdrive (which was a piss-poor version of a fine short story "Trucks") you understand why it (the TV version) was not praised as the original theatrical version. Besides... Kubrick had Nicholson ... who else is scarier when they wanna be? Shelly Duvall was probably a bad miscast however. :idunno:

zDom

Senior Master
Reaction score
Shelly Duvall was probably a bad miscast however. :idunno:

You kidding? I thought she did a GREAT job of playing a naggy, annoying, sobby wife who was as much responsible for driving him nuts as the hotel ghosts :D

OP
Jade Tigress

Jade Tigress

RAWR
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
You kidding? I thought she did a GREAT job of playing a naggy, annoying, sobby wife who was as much responsible for driving him nuts as the hotel ghosts :D

I agree. She always reminds me of Olive Oyl. lol!

teekin

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
Scariest Movie; The Changling. still scares me
This is old and pure psychological. 0 gore. The only thing that scared me in the Exorcist was the spinal tap, those things hurt like a bastard, the rest is just funny. I called my 2nd year Chem prof Captain Howdy, only him and I got it.
Scariest book, The Penal Colony by Franz Kafka. Almost anything by Kafka freaks me out. There is just something so Wrong in all those stories. I can only read them once. (I wonder how many people are buried under that guy's floor boards?)
lori

Mimir

Brown Belt
Reaction score
One of the scariest books would be "The Trickster" by Muriel Grey.

Sukerkin

Have the courage to speak softly
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
OT Aside:

Muriel Grey!? :confused:. As in Scottish, "Clothes Show" presenter, Muriel Grey!?

{dashes off for quick search of the Tinternet}

Well I never ... she's just gone up in my estimation considerably.

Cryozombie

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score

I actually thought the remake was a better interpretation of the book, but then again, it could be because they didnt cram it into a 2 hour time slot. I did like 'ol Jack in the original better as far as the character went.

Sukerkin

Have the courage to speak softly
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I reckon the remake suffered mightily due to the lack of Jack Nicholson's original performance - that vignette of him smashing through the door with a fire axe and a manic "Honey! I'm home!" is an iconic cinematic moment.

Cryozombie

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I reckon the remake suffered mightily due to the lack of Jack Nicholson's original performance - that vignette of him smashing through the door with a fire axe and a manic "Honey! I'm home!" is an iconic cinematic moment.

Indeed. It is a classic example of modern Horror (not Gore films or slasher Genre) and somthing that leaps to mind and is instantly recognizable... there aren't a lot of clips in the genre like that. You look at horror as a whole, and even the Freddy/Jason/Myers characters, tho instantly recognizable, are lost in: is that from Part 1? 11? 44? Not so much with scenes like the one with Jack.

zDom

Senior Master
Reaction score
... that vignette of him smashing through the door with a fire axe and a manic "Honey! I'm home!" is an iconic cinematic moment.

Yep. And it is just one of several images that come to mind from that movie.

Off the top of my head:

- the kid going down the hall on the Bigwheel / blood elevator
- the talking finger bit
- "Red Rum" in the mirror

Definately a classic.

Latest Discussions