Martial Arts & The Media

Kalicombat

Green Belt
Reaction score
Ironically enough, today the FX network is airing a martial arts movie marathon. Just flicking through every once in awhile today, I can see why the martial arts get a bad wrap. People watch the Kickboxing saga and think that is how the martial arts realy are. Not too mention Tong Po's terrible make up job in most of those flicks, and the cheesy acting. Give me some of those old Kung-Fu theater movies with the cheesy voice overs anytime.

Gary

theletch1

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
And by the way, what are you, some kind of comedian???

Some kind anyway, if you can figure out which kind let me know:D

As for pitching it to Hollywood, you'd have to make it some kind of "Help I'm a celebrity gymnast fighting on horse back, get me out of here." Thing.

Martial arts have been portaryed with smoke and mirrors for too long for the real thing to become very popular without some sort of gimmick. I do, however, believe that MA should get as much airtime as any of the niche sports. Maybe some one on here who knows someone who knows someone in the media industry could try to weasel more airtime for it. In the mean time how about just running off a few letters to the offices of the cable channels and make suggestions, enough suggestions might give them the idea to put more on.

respectfully,
theletch1:asian:

Latest Discussions