Youngest Kukkiwon "black belt" at age 6 in the news

Status
Not open for further replies.

Twin Fist

Grandmaster
Reaction score
My daughter started training at age 3. Last February, at age 6, she tested for and earned her Black Belt. .

and your daughters instructor is what is wrong with TKD and why TKD is the joke of martial arts now days.....

sorry, i am sure you are a great dad, and i am sure your little princess is very good FOR HER AGE

but there is no way she is a black belt.

i am sorry, but this **** is out of hand

Kong Soo Do

IKSDA Director
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Just out of curiosity, I wonder how much the test was for the lad in the news article?

For TKDdad, how much for your daughter if you don't mind me asking?

mastercole

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Longboat Key over looking Sarasota Bay, at least u
http://www.heraldnet.com/article/20110607/SPORTS/706079908/1121/SPORTS21

Cole Becker, 6, is believed to be the youngest American to ever receive a Kukkiwon black belt.

Not true. But good PR angle, it got them the story.

Kukkiwon has two designations after Geup. One for adults, and one for children.

DAN is for adults. Yudanja is 1st DAN to 5th DAN.
These are called DAN HOLDERS. They wear the Black Belt

POOM is for children ages of 3 to 15.5 years old. Yupoomja is 1st POOM to 4th POOM
These are called POOM HOLDER. They do not wear the POOM belt, not the Black Belt

It does not state Black Belt on the POOM certificate from Kukkiwon.

I was told Jidokwan was the first to use POOM. It was GM Chong Woo Lee's idea.
Many children were coming into Taekwondo and he felt they needed higher ranking to stay motivated but he did not want children wearing a Black Belt, so he instituted the POOM Belt.

To say Kukkiwon issues Black Belts for children is incorrect.

Kong Soo Do

IKSDA Director
Supporting Member
Reaction score

POOM is for children ages of 3 to 15.5 years old. Yupoomja is 1st POOM to 4th POOM
These are called POOM HOLDER. They do not wear the POOM belt, not the Black Belt

Many children were coming into Taekwondo and he felt they needed higher ranking to stay motivated but he did not want children wearing a Black Belt, so he instituted the POOM Belt.

To say Kukkiwon issues Black Belts for children is incorrect.

The belt looks black in the photos with gold writing???

mastercole

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
the instructor is an ***, and the entire KKW organization, BY ALLOWING IT, is just as guilty

lets put aside the made up history

lets put aside the political crap

lets put aside the things they allow to happen

it is just another org, and like all orgs, it is exists mainly to take money from people to make other people rich

*puke*

You don't add anything to the Taekwondo conversation, your comments are just ignorant.

mastercole

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Quote:
Originally Posted by mastercole

To say Kukkiwon issues Black Belts for children is incorrect.<<<<

The belt looks black in the photos with gold writing???

Kukkiwon sends just a certificate. The instructor orders the belt from Century or whoever, he could wrap a golden/silver/platinum belt on the kid if he wants, that does not mean Kukkiwon issued it.

puunui

Senior Master
Reaction score
Yes, the KKW sets the standard, but obviously they don't review it carefully. Like I said, with a recommendation from an instructor I think my dog could get a black belt from them. Actually, my papers went through before my test for the purpose of ceremony.

that is how the system is set up internationally, an instructor makes a recommendation, the Kukkiwon trusts the instructor's judgment on such matters, and after checking there is enough time in grade, etc. the promotion is approved. There is no "review" other than that.

Well, I don't think he's running it the way I feel it should be run, obviously. He's running it as a money factory as near as I can figure. But hey, maybe he feels this kid is a justifiable black belt. Maybe she is a justifiable black belt, I don't know.

That is your opinion, to which you are entitled. But that doesn't mean he has to justify the promotion to you or anyone else. You yourself just said that you do not have to justify the promotion to people outside of your chain.

Let me ask you a question, now. Do you think KKW blackbelts should be able to teach classes? Do you think a 6 year old can lead a class?

I do not consider a 1st Dan or 1st Poom to be an instructor level rank. I consider it to be a student level rank. To me, instructor level ranks are 4th Dan and higher. I believe that 1st through 3rd Dan should be primarily focused on their own training, not the training of others. You can be an assistant instructor at 3rd Dan or 3rd Poom, but the bulk of your time should still be on your own training. Under the Kukkiwon, you cannot earn the Instructor Qualification certificate until you are at least 4th Dan. 4th Dan is the minimum rank of instructors, not 1st Dan.

puunui

Senior Master
Reaction score
Just out of curiosity, I wonder how much the test was for the lad in the news article?

Here are the Kukkiwon promotion fees:

1st Poom/Dan: $70.00
2nd Poom/Dan: $90.00
3rd Poom/Dan: $120.00
4th Poom/Dan: $150.00
5th Dan: $300.00
6th Dan: $350.00
7th Dan: $450.00
8th Dan: Free
9th Dan: Free
10th Dan: Free

How much does your organization charge?

Twin Fist

Grandmaster
Reaction score
You don't add anything to the Taekwondo conversation, your comments are just ignorant.

one more time, "master" rudeness and personal insults dont fly around here, you have already been reported a few times, either change your posting style, or you wont last long in these parts.

trust me, i know.

ralphmcpherson

Senior Master
Reaction score
Never said you had to like, I was just wondering if you thought the same way about instructors that do it. I understand paying the rent and keeping the doors open all commercial schools face these problems on a monthly basis. Good to know you feel the same all around make it better for me.
Ive never liked the idea of defending the slipping standards by saying commercial dojangs have to pay the rent, put food on the table etc. I have run a business (not martial arts related) for 12 years and have built my reputation on high standards. If there comes a time where the only way I can survive financially is to lower my standards or compromise my principles I will close the business and get a job doing something else. I really feel upset when I hear martial arts instructors say that they had to lower standards, hand out black belts, etc just to stay in business. The greatest pride I get when I look at my business is that I have been able to stay successful without "cutting corners". This is certainly not aimed at you Terry, after reading your posts for the last couple of years Id love to train at your club.

ralphmcpherson

Senior Master
Reaction score
It doesnt matter whether you or I agree with TF's opinion, the fact of the matter is that many people agree with his way of thinking. TKD is losing credibility because of things like this. I know its easy to get high up in an org to the point that you become blinded as to what is happening, but take the rose coloured glasses off for a second and take a look around and you will see that tkd is becoming a laughing stock to many people because of things like this. As I said in another thread, just because something is popular doesnt automatically make it 'good'. Mcdonalds is popular. I remember when I was shopping around trying to find a tkd club when I started and it was almost impossible to find a positive word anywhere on the net about tkd. Yes, other arts cop some negativity as well, but nowhere near as much as tkd. I love taekwondo and hate seeing it go down this path.

Last edited:

mastercole

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
It doesnt matter wheter you or I agree with TF's opinion, the fact of the matter is that many people agree with his way of thinking. TKD is losing credibility because of things like this.

At 80 million members in 197 nations, Olympic event, it's doing pretty good so far.

I'd much rather be associated with it that some wacky backyard so called SD program. Yeah, three friends get together, polish our Harley's, drink beer and talk about bar fighting, what kind of training is that?. Funny Papers training...........

And in my experience the people who think it has no credibility did not have the toughness to last in it, or try it in the first place (no jewels). But that's just me.

mastercole

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
one more time, "master" rudeness and personal insults dont fly around here, you have already been reported a few times, either change your posting style, or you wont last long in these parts.

trust me, i know.

Report this while your at it.

Originally Posted by Twin Fist
the instructor is an ***, and the entire KKW organization, BY ALLOWING IT, is just as guilty.

ralphmcpherson

Senior Master
Reaction score
At 80 million members in 197 nations, Olympic event, it's doing pretty good so far.

I'd much rather be associated with it that some wacky backyard so called SD program. Yeah, three friends get together, polish our Harley's, drink beer and talk about bar fighting, what kind of training is that?. Funny Papers training...........

And in my experience the people who think it has no credibility did not have the toughness to last in it, or try it in the first place (no jewels). But that's just me.
I will say again, using popularuty as a measure of how good something is just doesnt cut it with me, unless of course you are driven soley by making money (reminds me of a tkd org I know of). I, too would rather not be involved in a "wacky backyard SD program", but thats beside the point. There are many, hundreds in fact, martial arts that are very credible that do not operate out of backyards. Once again, you like generalising. Again, if you take the rose coloured glasses off you will see there are more martial arts in the world than just tkd and backyard SD programs. Go and have a look sometime, there are heaps in my area and I imagine over there there would be even more to look at:) I am aware of your opinion on this subject and I respect it yet dont agree with it. I have seen from previous threads that if I "feed the troll" we will bore everybody with a meaningless 7 page rant that goes around in circles. I have made my opinion clear, as have you. For the sake of the other posters I think its best we leave our discussion here. Cheers.

ralphmcpherson

Senior Master
Reaction score
Here are the Kukkiwon promotion fees:

1st Poom/Dan: $70.00
2nd Poom/Dan: $90.00
3rd Poom/Dan: $120.00
4th Poom/Dan: $150.00
5th Dan: $300.00
6th Dan: $350.00
7th Dan: $450.00
8th Dan: Free
9th Dan: Free
10th Dan: Free

How much does your organization charge?
Those prices seem quite reasonable. Do most clubs add some profit on top or do they just pass on the kukkiwons prices direct to the student? I imagine adding on some extra to cover time, postage etc would be fair. Our school charges $100 for first dan, $150 for 2nd, $200 for third, $250 for 4th, $300 for 5th $350 for 6th and the rest are free,, so pretty much on par with the kukkiwon prices. We must be 12 years old for black belt 1st dan (still too young in my opinion) and 17 before 2nd dan, so the youngest someone could get to 4th (instructor) would be 24 years old.

mastercole

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Those prices seem quite reasonable. Do most clubs add some profit on top or do they just pass on the kukkiwons prices direct to the student? I imagine adding on some extra to cover time, postage etc would be fair. Our school charges $100 for first dan, $150 for 2nd, $200 for third, $250 for 4th, $300 for 5th $350 for 6th and the rest are free,, so pretty much on par with the kukkiwon prices. We must be 12 years old for black belt 1st dan (still too young in my opinion) and 17 before 2nd dan, so the youngest someone could get to 4th (instructor) would be 24 years old.

Where does the certification come from?

ralphmcpherson

Senior Master
Reaction score
Where does the certification come from?
Our GM. We are a large club (over 4000 members) celebrating our 40th year. Left the kukkiwon about 15-20 years ago from what I can gather, but not 100% sure. I didnt know what the kukkiwon was until I started coming here a couple of years ago. I know my instructor (7th dan) has a 1st and possibly a 2nd dan cert from the kukkiwon before we went independent.

OP
andyjeffries

andyjeffries

Senior Master
Reaction score
Those prices seem quite reasonable. Do most clubs add some profit on top or do they just pass on the kukkiwons prices direct to the student? I imagine adding on some extra to cover time, postage etc would be fair

Adding some extra for time or the examiner's expertise in grading and time is fine. Postage is included however (postage for the certificate from Korea, the outbound application is generally done online now).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest Discussions