Status
Not open for further replies.

mastercole

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Longboat Key over looking Sarasota Bay, at least u
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel Sullivan
No. My GM has a kendo background and the forms he uses are ones that I have not seen elsewhere. He said that they come from Choson sebeop, but I have never been able to find them or verify their origins outside of the school.

I did a quick search and found this article on choson sebeop. The founder sounds highly qualified and apparently has written a lot of books on the subject.

http://mookas.us/media_view.asp?news_no=701

Daniel, I thought that name looked familiar. I meet your Grandmaster at the 5th Korea Martial Art Forum, November 9, 2010 in the lecture hall at Korean National Sports University (Hankuk Chaedae) in Seoul. Afterwards, we had dinner at the Chinese restaurant in Olympic Park. Hapkido's In Seon Seo (sp?), also some Kuk Sul Won senior, and some other unique Korean style leaders where there. I was there to see GM Yong Bok Lee, leader of Taekkyon. He was on a panel that was discussing the relation between Taekwondo and Taekkyon. One of the Taekkyon master's was telling me that your Grandmaster was undefeated in Kendo, which is a pretty amazing feat. They explained that he has been trying to revive ancient Korean sword arts. They had him stand up and addresse the panel of professors at the forum.

Daniel Sullivan

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Daniel Sullivan
No. My GM has a kendo background and the forms he uses are ones that I have not seen elsewhere. He said that they come from Choson sebeop, but I have never been able to find them or verify their origins outside of the school.

Daniel, I thought that name looked familiar. I meet your Grandmaster at the 5th Korea Martial Art Forum, November 9, 2010 in the lecture hall at Korean National Sports University (Hankuk Chaedae) in Seoul. Afterwards, we had dinner at the Chinese restaurant in Olympic Park. Hapkido's In Seon Seo (sp?), also some Kuk Sul Won senior, and some other unique Korean style leaders where there. I was there to see GM Yong Bok Lee, leader of Taekkyon. He was on a panel that was discussing the relation between Taekwondo and Taekkyon. One of the Taekkyon master's was telling me that your Grandmaster was undefeated in Kendo, which is a pretty amazing feat. They explained that he has been trying to revive ancient Korean sword arts. They had him stand up and addresse the panel of professors at the forum.
Wish I were there! Excellent article too! Enjoyed it from beginning to end.

However, this gentleman is not my grand master. My GM is Kim Hee Wk. Our partnered work looks much more like kenjutsu and our solo forms are fairly conservative ad likewise use a single edged curved sword; i.e. a katana.

Daniel

Daniel Sullivan

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Actually I know of some that have went from non belt to black belt in weekend seminars in Kumdo and hapkido. Not what I would call ligit and in my mind it puts a very poor light on their legitimate training in TKD by doing it.
I call this 'add an art workshop.' Usually, the premise is that if you are of a certain level in an established art, say fourth or higher in TKD, then you are essentially being certified in the add on based upon previous experience. If the person is being honest with themselves and is using the seminar to take a first step into a new art, and then follows is up with continued study and growth, it can be a positive.

If they just want a belt and a piece of paper.... well there are cheaper and less time consuming avenues.

What do you think about someone who has no experience in an art and goes from white belt to 4th Dan after a weekend seminar?
Must have been an intense seminar!

Daniel

puunui

Senior Master
Reaction score
And if you vote and pay taxes you get the right to ***** about what is wrong about the country. And if you have spent years sending applications and $$$ to the Kukkiwon then I expect that gives me the right to ***** about what is wrong with the Kukkiwon as well.

I suppose that is how some people think. Personally I choose not to bad mouth my country or the Kukkiwon as an institution, because I am grateful to be a part of both, no matter what I think I am entitled to.

Grenadier

Sr. Grandmaster
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Thread locked, pending staff review.

-Ronald Shin
-MT Supermoderator

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest Discussions