WTF Dan certificate question

IcemanSK

El Conquistador nim!
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I'm one of those folks that received a Dan certificate from the WTF (rather than the Kukkiwon) in the brief time in the 80's when the WTF gave Dan certs.

Here's my question: Before I tested for my 2nd Dan KKW I looked at the KKW cert check online. It had me listed as a 1st Dan, but with a very different number than was a my 1st Dan cert. When I received my 2nd Dan cert., it had the same number as the online number. Now, if my 1st Dan was bogus, it would not come up at all online. Does anyone have a guess (educated or otherwise) why I'd have a cert. with one number when the KKW had another (that turned out to be the correct number?) Anyone know where I could find out this info?

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I'm one of those folks that received a Dan certificate from the WTF (rather than the Kukkiwon) in the brief time in the 80's when the WTF gave Dan certs.

Here's my question: Before I tested for my 2nd Dan KKW I looked at the KKW cert check online. It had me listed as a 1st Dan, but with a very different number than was a my 1st Dan cert. When I received my 2nd Dan cert., it had the same number as the online number. Now, if my 1st Dan was bogus, it would not come up at all online. Does anyone have a guess (educated or otherwise) why I'd have a cert. with one number when the KKW had another (that turned out to be the correct number?) Anyone know where I could find out this info?

Directly though the KKW e-mail address, just ask and they will get back to you in about 3-6 months with an answer.

jks9199

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score

Just a guess... Did KKW absorb the WTF dans? If so, they may have simply thrown them into the list, rather than try to deal with the likely duplication of numbers. In other words, say you had WTF Certificate 256; someone else has KKW Certificate 256. They could asterisk yours somehow (or his)... but that could lead to confusion. Instead, they just add you in as 475 or whatever... Then, when you get your next rank through KKW, the numbers will match up, and there won't be two guys #256.

exile

To him unconquered.
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Impressive response time.

Hey, I can think of half a dozen academic journals where a yea/nay response to a submitted manuscript in that time frame would be considered dizzying speed!

Just a guess... Did KKW absorb the WTF dans? If so, they may have simply thrown them into the list, rather than try to deal with the likely duplication of numbers. In other words, say you had WTF Certificate 256; someone else has KKW Certificate 256. They could asterisk yours somehow (or his)... but that could lead to confusion. Instead, they just add you in as 475 or whatever... Then, when you get your next rank through KKW, the numbers will match up, and there won't be two guys #256.

Yes, it's got to be something like that. Whatever their cooperative take how TKD should be managed, the two orgs inevitably will have totally different data management streams. Your misfortune, Ice, was getting your dan under a setup that was abandoned and then had to be jury-rigged with the new one. That kind of situation always winds up screwing people up...

Brad Dunne

Brown Belt
Reaction score
Your transfer number (WTF to KKW) was updated to the KKW stats, as has been suggested. I would request a replacement 1st dan from the KKW, as I assume you never did receive one. You are listed on/in their files, so validation has been given. As for the WTF cert, I would consider it a special keepsake.

OP
IcemanSK

IcemanSK

El Conquistador nim!
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Your transfer number (WTF to KKW) was updated to the KKW stats, as has been suggested. I would request a replacement 1st dan from the KKW, as I assume you never did receive one. You are listed on/in their files, so validation has been given. As for the WTF cert, I would consider it a special keepsake.

It certain is unique, that is for sure. A keepsake for sure. The numbering system is quite different. The WTF 1st Dan starts with (03) and has an "A" in it somewhere. When I checked it out on the KKW site (before I applied for 2nd Dan) it listed my number as 05******. I was thrown a bit, but I figure it had to be legit because they had me in their database. When I got my 2nd Dan, it had the same 05***** on it.

I think exile has the reasoning behind how it happened correct. It's the best way to merge 2 numbering systems. As long as I'm listed, I'm good with that. Thanks for your help with this!

Twin Fist

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I hate to sound simplistic here, but if you got your 2nd Dan KKW card, why worry about the 1st dan card?

you took the lessons, you took the test YOU know your 1st is legit.

You have your 2nd dan card from the KKW, so they know THAT is legit.

dont sweat the small stuff.

OP
IcemanSK

IcemanSK

El Conquistador nim!
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I hate to sound simplistic here, but if you got your 2nd Dan KKW card, why worry about the 1st dan card?

you took the lessons, you took the test YOU know your 1st is legit.

You have your 2nd dan card from the KKW, so they know THAT is legit.

dont sweat the small stuff.

I'm not the least bit worried about it. I'm just curious as to why my 1st Dan has a different number than my 2nd. As I said, I am one of the rare folks who has a certificate given by the WTF. As someone mentioned, it's a collector's item.

Twin Fist

Grandmaster
Reaction score
for sure it is something to hold onto.

I lost a bunch of my certs when an ex decided she would throw out a bunch of my stuff........

FieldDiscipline

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
On the KKW website I'm having some problems with the 'check for Dan' function.

What format are you putting names and dates in? It has the date as yymmdd. Are you completely reversing the date as in for 1975 typing 57? Seems a bit strange. Also in what order are you putting names?

OP
IcemanSK

IcemanSK

El Conquistador nim!
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
On the KKW website I'm having some problems with the 'check for Dan' function.

What format are you putting names and dates in? It has the date as yymmdd. Are you completely reversing the date as in for 1975 typing 57? Seems a bit strange. Also in what order are you putting names?

I put it in like this: For date August 13 1975 I'd put 750813 Name: Patrick Smith. It came up just fine for me.

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Nope. Cant get other peoples either so maybe my PC. Will ask my instructor whether he has any luck.

Thanks for help.

It is not your computer for the most part, alot of people that is over twenty years and have not tested in a long while wil not pull up they need to get the KKW to re place it for them.

OP
IcemanSK

IcemanSK

El Conquistador nim!
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
It is not your computer for the most part, alot of people that is over twenty years and have not tested in a long while wil not pull up they need to get the KKW to re place it for them.

I've heard that it's less than accurate for a lot of folks for a lot of reasons.

Latest Discussions