WTF - Kukkiwon Certificates

Bushido Spirit

White Belt
Reaction score
I am at a loss...
My TKD Instructor has let me down.
He has shown his true colors and after 3 yrs. I have moved on.

My question is this.
Is it possible to verify Kukkiwon/WTF credentials through a Kukkiwon number as opposed to a name?
I have searched the Kukkiwon data base and come up with nothing...but a friend sent me a number form "Grandmaster Chun Im" Dan certificate, which I believe to be bogus...

Can someone help?

The Number on his Certificate is 5056783

Archtkd

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
I am at a loss...
My TKD Instructor has let me down.
He has shown his true colors and after 3 yrs. I have moved on.

My question is this.
Is it possible to verify Kukkiwon/WTF credentials through a Kukkiwon number as opposed to a name?
I have searched the Kukkiwon data base and come up with nothing...but a friend sent me a number form "Grandmaster Chun Im" Dan certificate, which I believe to be bogus...

Can someone help?

The Number on his Certificate is 5056783

What is a number form? Did the teacher specifically tell you he was Kukkiwon certified? If you have his exact name as appears on his certificate, date of birth and nationality key it here:

http://www.kukkiwon.or.kr/english/new_examination/new_english/pop.jsp.

If his name does not show up, there's a high likelihood he is not certified. Is this the same man who taught Gumdo and Taichi in Canada, and was the subject of an alert on another martial arts Internet forum in 2006?

d1jinx

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Bogus. I have a 5th dan cert and it has 8 numbers as do all kkw#.

its missing the 0 on the front. thats 8. could be legit.

BUSHIDO SPIRIT:

need date of birth and nationailty of person. get those. I can look.

d1jinx

Master Black Belt
Reaction score

Problem is, they tried that and couldn't find it but they have the number. the name could be anything from first middle last, first middle initial last, first last, first middle (DOT) last, first middle last JR/SR, etc etc etc. And without knowing exactly how it is it can be a goose chase. They tried the name and got no results. Doesn't mean it isn't legit. I couldn't find mine in the system when I first found the link (some years ago) because i didn't notice the (.) after the initial.

I guess worse case, email KKW and ask to verify the number. just tell them you are concerned if they are actually KKW certified.

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
They KKW will be happy to help if you e-mail or call them. It is always sad when you have to worry about an instructor being what they claim to be.

Archtkd

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
its missing the 0 on the front. thats 8. could be legit.

BUSHIDO SPIRIT:

need date of birth and nationailty of person. get those. I can look.

The old certs didn't have a zero. My 1st Dan issued in 1983 didn't have one by all subsequent certs to 4th Dan have a zero in front of the original number.

puunui

Senior Master
Reaction score
The old certs didn't have a zero. My 1st Dan issued in 1983 didn't have one by all subsequent certs to 4th Dan have a zero in front of the original number.

The current numbering system was put into place in 1985 I believe.

OP
Bushido Spirit

Bushido Spirit

White Belt
Reaction score
How can I be sure, short of calling the Kukkiwon?
I have emailed the WTF and the Kukkiwon and received no replies.

puunui

Senior Master
Reaction score
How can I be sure, short of calling the Kukkiwon?
I have emailed the WTF and the Kukkiwon and received no replies.

Tell your friend who gave you his number to check the certificate again and give you the exact spelling of his name, the nationality listed, as well as his birthdate. If you have that
information, you can check online.

puunui

Senior Master
Reaction score
i will try, but hid name is in Hangul.

If his name is in hangul on the certificate, then it isn't a Kukkiwon certificate. His name should be typed in english, unless it is a certificate from the 1970's, which I don't think it is, given the Kukkiwon number you gave.

puunui

Senior Master
Reaction score
i will try, but hid name is in Hangul.

If his name is in hangul on the certificate, then it isn't a Kukkiwon certificate. His name should be typed in english, unless it is a certificate from the 1970's, which I don't think it is, given the Kukkiwon number you gave.

andyjeffries

Senior Master
Reaction score

Are you sure? The images that appeared on Mookas (that we were discussing as early prototypes whereas it seems they are actually the finished design and some people received early prototypes) show an example with the name in Hangul.

Also, surely if someone fills the Kukkiwon application form in using Hangul, the Kukkiwon wouldn't romanise it to English as different people romanise the same name differently. The surname &#51060; is an obvious example.

puunui

Senior Master
Reaction score
Are you sure?

Yes.

The images that appeared on Mookas (that we were discussing as early prototypes whereas it seems they are actually the finished design and some people received early prototypes) show an example with the name in Hangul.

Those were prototype certificates, not actual certificates. But if you look closely, there is the name in english in addition to Korean hangul. Also, those look like ones that would be issued to Koreans living in Korea, because it has the KTA president's name on it as well.

Also, surely if someone fills the Kukkiwon application form in using Hangul, the Kukkiwon wouldn't romanise it to English as different people romanise the same name differently. The surname &#51060; is an obvious example.

They wouldn't fill the application out in hangul. Even if he did fill it out in hangul, his record would be in english, since prior to these new mookas certificates coming out, the certificates were in english. Also, the number he gave, the seven digit one, was from a while ago, he wouldn't have been promoted recently. If he had, it would have an eight digit number on it.

OP
Bushido Spirit

Bushido Spirit

White Belt
Reaction score
Update...
I have traced, through various sources, his TKD involvement.
4th Dan from Korean Special Forces...back in the 70's.
His Certification past then is sketchy, vague, and.... lies.

I'd like to fill you all in on the "whys" ...

I began studying with him 3 years ago. I have much training in several MA's but wanted to learn some traditional TKD.

He taught me and tested me to 1st geup and then ...kinda stopped teaching me.

I learned Poomse Korryo through a DVD, showed him, and received my Cho Dan.

....this is really a long story, but I'll be brief.

I signed a contract to learn WTF TKD and find that he's not even accredited to teach WTF TKD,I've paid him for Kukkiwon certificates and never received them, been used to teach a very unruly class of "tiny Tigers", still not learning anything else...

Sorry...I am ranting and need to stop.

Anyway...I am now suing him for every dime I have ever paid him.

Latest Discussions