Finally a KKW 2nd Dan!

IcemanSK

El Conquistador nim!
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I started my TKD journey in 1982 testing for my 1st Dan KKW in 1985. Because my Sahbum moved away, I changed to what I thought was an ITF school. I tested for 2nd Dan & received a certificate that turned out to be bogus in 1988. I discovered the bogus certificate a few years later when I was laughed out of a GM's office when I showed him my certificate & enquired about testing for 3rd Dan. For a long time, I didn't think I'd ever get a recognized 2nd Dan.

As most of you know, I tested for 3rd Dan through GM Edward Sell's Us Chung Do Kwan Assoc in March. At the same time, I applied for my 2nd Dan KKW. I received it in the mail yesterday. I still cannot believe it has my name on it!

On here, we often talk about the McDojo's, masters who want nothing but $$, liars & wack-jobs we've met in TKD. I want to publically thank Grandmaster Sell for helping me exactly the way he said he would & so much more beyond that. He is truly a man of his word. Thank you, sir.:asian:

Kacey

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Congratulations - both on finally receiving your certificate, and on finding an instructor with the integrity to help you receive it.

Most importantly, IMHO, you have the personal integrity to thank him publicly. :asian:

Drac

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Congrats Iceman...Way ta go...

Drac

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
On here, we often talk about the McDojo's, masters who want nothing but $$, liars & wack-jobs we've met in TKD. I want to publically thank Grandmaster Sell for helping me exactly the way he said he would & so much more beyond that. He is truly a man of his word. Thank you, sir.:asian:

Yes we do..Those on the recieving end of our blasts DESERVE it...For every 5 McDojo studio will to sell Dan ranks to the highest bidder there is at least ONE excellent teacher will will NOT give away or sell anything ...Sounds like Grandmaster Sell is one of the good ones...

OP
IcemanSK

IcemanSK

El Conquistador nim!
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I appreciate your congratulations & kind words. It means a lot to me.:asian:

jfarnsworth

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Congratulations sir on a job well done. Never give up. That is something we tell the students at our school. You sure lived up to it.
Congrats again.
Jason

exile

To him unconquered.
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Tom, that's brilliant. This is the reward of good, hard, honest and single-minded work towards a worthy goal. It's great for you that you got this, but it's also great for TKD itself, that other practitioners be able to point to adepts like you, who work hard to master their craft, as examples of what this MA really rests on.

Jade Tigress

RAWR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Congratulations!!!!
:partyon::partyon::partyon::partyon::partyon::partyon:

shesulsa

Columbia Martial Arts Academy
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Congratulations!!
:partyon::partyon::partyon:

stoneheart

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Congrats, IcemanSK. A legit Kukkiwon certificate and a lineage from the Chung Do Kwan is nothing to sneer at. I salute you for identifying a need you felt in your practice of the martial arts and furthermore remedying it. Your students will benefit from your (I'm sure) long journey.

Shaderon

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Well done Ice, respects for holding out for that certificate, a lot of people would have said "oh well at least I have A certificate". :asian:

OP
IcemanSK

IcemanSK

El Conquistador nim!
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Thanks so much once again for all your encouragement. I wrote to my instructor yesterday & said that receiving that certificate on Saturday finally makes the test that I had for 2nd Dan in 1988 legitimate. While I never thought (& I still don't) think the trained or the test I received was worthless, being told that my rank certificate was through "X" organization (when it wasn't) was very hard to take.

I appreciate everyone's kindness & support as I shared this part of my journey.