Type of Teacher ?

TKDJUDO

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Hi folks,

This came to my mind a couple weeks back but never thought of asking you guys about your opinions.

What type of taekwondo teacher is best ? In other words, are traditional teachers better, the ones who know the core of the art, or modern teachers, the ones who are up to date with the changes that the WTF has made to their curriculum? I've kinda been debating with myself over which is better. What are the benefits of a traditional teacher, and a modern teacher ?

Feel free to post your opinions.

Twin Fist

Grandmaster
Reaction score
The best kind of teacher is the kind you can learn from.

Seriously, the things you are worrying about are not really that important.

new style, old style, whatever

find someone from whom you can learn.

FearlessFreep

Senior Master
Reaction score
I would say that the one whose goals for you are inline with your goals for yourself. Both of your examples would be fine for people who had different sets of goals...

But most teachers, like most people, are not sol easily categorized so most instructors are going to be somewhere along a continuum rather than an either/or

Kacey

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
The best teacher is the one who inspires you to learn more. What that looks like is different for different people.

IcemanSK

El Conquistador nim!
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Hi folks,

This came to my mind a couple weeks back but never thought of asking you guys about your opinions.

What type of taekwondo teacher is best ? In other words, are traditional teachers better, the ones who know the core of the art, or modern teachers, the ones who are up to date with the changes that the WTF has made to their curriculum? I've kinda been debating with myself over which is better. What are the benefits of a traditional teacher, and a modern teacher ?

Feel free to post your opinions.

What are you looking for in a teacher? What have you found?

YoungMan

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
The best teacher is one who is passionate about his art. If he is passionate, he will take the time to understand how to be a good teacher.

Sukerkin

Have the courage to speak softly
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
TF said is most succinctly with his first sentence above :tup:.

A teacher that is best for you is one from whom you can learn - it sounds trite but it most certainly is not.

An instructor can be technically brilliant and know all the lastest wrinkles from head office (that sounds so wrong to me as a koryu art practitioner :D) but if you don't 'click' at a personal level then it's not going to work.

By this, I don't just mean do you get along amiably but also do you think the same way - my sensei can teach me something in very few words because our minds work similarly. He doesn't have to labour at getting a point across ... tho' the labour of getting my mind to tell my body what to do is a rather different propostion.

Latest Discussions