Would you hit a woman who was unarmed?

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Do you have a choice if she is attacking you?

I am for woman being strong, but don't expect me to be beaten at the same time.

The times i have seen bouncers hit women is generally when they loose control of the situation.

So the choice is go in and shut them down with some authority. Then you are not defending punches. Then you are not throwing them.

I always tried to use two guys to physical girls that way I could just grab their arms and use body mass.

OP
J

Jared Traveler

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
I will share my thoughts on the subject. I grew up in a time, location and culture (not so long ago) where real men don't hit women.

As a cop I have delt with lots of angry woman, many who resisted, some attempting to attack me. One in particular was very strong and big, yelling she was pregnant (she wasn't), while doing everything to resist. That took a higher level of grappling skills, and I ended up with her hair grease all over my uniform, but I didn't hurt or hit her.

Perhaps this makes a case for some strikers to take up grappling? Perhaps I'm an antiquated dinosaur in my thinking? I know many women deserve it, but that doesn't mean I have to be the one to give it to them.

Never say never, but put me down as someone who is unwilling to hit an unarmed woman. Even if that means taking a few strikes, I will work towards a solution that does not require me to smash them with my fist, elbow, knees or feet.

Would I to save my life? Sure. Is an unarmed woman a realistic life threatening situation for me? Or even a situation where I'm facing serious physical injury? No. Not without crazy extenuating circumstances.

But that's just me, I fully understand women can and often do deserve to be hit. I think it's justified, but just not for me.

OP
J

Jared Traveler

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
I've modified my answer after working in LE/Corrections for the past 25 years.

I'd never hit a lady....

A lady is NEVER going to act in a manner that would result in me having to put hands on her. A female/woman on the other hand, may have to. I know based on experience, we've had more staff hurt when having an altercation with a female because they don't want to go hands on and don't control the situation like they would do if it were a male.
As a former jailer, I know you are correct, regarding a soft approach to dealing with aggressive females can "green light" more assaultive behavior on their part. I never advocated a soft approach to aggressive women for this reason.

However in my experience, there is a way to have a stronger command presence early in the confrontation, maintain a reasonable tactical advantage, and be aggressive enough to shut down this problem, before things escalate.

In simple terms if you have to grab a woman and you do it softly, they will be more likely to resist. Resulting in having to use a higher level of force. Conversely if you gab them strong and aggressive, they realize resisting or fighting will result in getting slammed. They are much more likely to comply. Grabbing them with just a little strength and aggression is often the trick to ultimately not hurting them.

gerardfoy50

Green Belt
Reaction score
I will share my thoughts on the subject. I grew up in a time, location and culture (not so long ago) where real men don't hit women.

As a cop I have delt with lots of angry woman, many who resisted, some attempting to attack me. One in particular was very strong and big, yelling she was pregnant (she wasn't), while doing everything to resist. That took a higher level of grappling skills, and I ended up with her hair grease all over my uniform, but I didn't hurt or hit her.

Perhaps this makes a case for some strikers to take up grappling? Perhaps I'm an antiquated dinosaur in my thinking? I know many women deserve it, but that doesn't mean I have to be the one to give it to them.

Never say never, but put me down as someone who is unwilling to hit an unarmed woman. Even if that means taking a few strikes, I will work towards a solution that does not require me to smash them with my fist, elbow, knees or feet.

Would I to save my life? Sure. Is an unarmed woman a realistic life threatening situation for me? Or even a situation where I'm facing serious physical injury? No. Not without crazy extenuating circumstances.

But that's just me, I fully understand women can and often do deserve to be hit. I think it's justified, but just not for me.
That’s sexist bro women now never stop demanding to be treated equally in all things so we should respect their wishes. If it’s a 55 kilo guy who’s attacking you alongside a100 kilo woman would you really go easier on her because she’s a lady. I met countless guys who were kind and gentle people especially with their kids and lots of nasty aggressive women who were abusi to their kids. Judge people on how they act not on their gender

But that's just me, I fully understand women can and often do deserve to be hit. I think it's justified, but just not for

If you were being attacked by a 50 kilo guy and a 100 kilo woman would you really go easier with her, women have been clamouring everyday to be treated equally so we should respect their wishes, I know lots of kind gentle loving dads and lots of aggressive violent mums, got to treat people on how they act and not on their gender

OP
J

Jared Traveler

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
That’s sexist bro women now never stop demanding to be treated equally in all things so we should respect their wishes. If it’s a 55 kilo guy who’s attacking you alongside a100 kilo woman would you really go easier on her because she’s a lady. I met countless guys who were kind and gentle people especially with their kids and lots of nasty aggressive women who were abusi to their kids. Judge people on how they act not on their gender

If you were being attacked by a 50 kilo guy and a 100 kilo woman would you really go easier with her, women have been clamouring everyday to be treated equally so we should respect their wishes, I know lots of kind gentle loving dads and lots of aggressive violent mums, got to treat people on how they act and not on their gender
One beautiful thing about individual combat is fighting your fight, they way you want to do it. You can't control what someone else does, but you can always control what you do.

gerardfoy50

Green Belt
Reaction score
One beautiful thing about individual combat is fighting your fight, they way you want to do it. You can't control what someone else does, but you can always control what you do.
On this we disagree, I believe it’s unfair to men and not what women say they want, women are in army rangers now and lots of women stayed in ukranie to fight on the front besides their men. I know if went against any ufc female fighter I’d get wrecked. I hate the woke agenda especially after watching rings of power and I know there’s lots of physically weak and mentally weak women, but there’s also an awful lot of guys out there who are in the same boat. They want equality, let’s respect their wishes

OP
J

Jared Traveler

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
On this we disagree, I believe it’s unfair to men and not what women say they want, women are in army rangers now and lots of women stayed in ukranie to fight on the front besides their men. I know if went against any ufc female fighter I’d get wrecked. I hate the woke agenda especially after watching rings of power and I know there’s lots of physically weak and mentally weak women, but there’s also an awful lot of guys out there who are in the same boat. They want equality, let’s respect their wishes
None of this applies to me though. Fighting with weapons as soldiers is not the subject at hand. I don't care if there is a woke agenda, I am not honoring anyone by punching a woman in the face. I'm not a small or weak man.

gerardfoy50

Green Belt
Reaction score
None of this applies to me though. Fighting with weapons as soldiers is not the subject at hand. I don't care if there is a woke agenda, I am not honoring anyone by punching a woman in the face. I'm not a small or weak man.
Piont is if women are saying that they want to be treated equally and then you treat them differently based solely on their gender it’s going against what they want. If a child started attacking me I would react differently because they are not adults, but I would treat boys and girls the same. To answer the original question if a adult attacked me I won’t be thinking I have to be a gentleman and take it easy cause she’s a woman, first rule of street defence, never underestimate the situation or your opponent, forget gender especially when that’s what women say they want.

OP
J

Jared Traveler

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Piont is if women are saying that they want to be treated equally and then you treat them differently based solely on their gender it’s going against what they want. If a child started attacking me I would react differently because they are not adults, but I would treat boys and girls the same. To answer the original question if a adult attacked me I won’t be thinking I have to be a gentleman and take it easy cause she’s a woman, first rule of street defence, never underestimate the situation or your opponent, forget gender especially when that’s what women say they want.
I think I will stick with what my father taught me regarding hitting woman. I will survive or I will not. I have made thousands of decisions intentionally and happily knowing they expose me to more risk. Being generous at best my decision not to hit a woman resulting in me being seriously injured is a high impact/extremely low probability event.

I thought the first rule was don't be paranoid? Maybe that is rule #2? 😁

I'm not faulting someone for doing it. Some women deserve it, some men may be in fear for their safety. I get it.

gerardfoy50

Green Belt
Reaction score
I think I will stick with what my father taught me regarding hitting woman. I will survive or I will not. I have made thousands of decisions intentionally and happily knowing they expose me to more risk. Being generous at best my decision not to hit a woman resulting in me being seriously injured is a high impact/extremely low probability event.

I thought the first rule was don't be paranoid? Maybe that is rule #2? 😁

I'm not faulting someone for doing it. Some women deserve it, some men may be in fear for their safety. I get it.
Fair enough, we can agree to disagree, just be careful bro cause times and women have changed since your Father’s Day, I agree that being attacked by a woman for me is also unlikely to happen cause I treat everyone with respect, but if it does I will treat them with the same caution and respect that I would a man.

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Do you have a choice if she is attacking you?
Of course you do. There are always multiple choices in every confrontation. The idea that there is a "one size fits all" solution is ludicrous.

Alan0354

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Of course you do. There are always multiple choices in every confrontation. The idea that there is a "one size fits all" solution is ludicrous.
But is she is swinging at you, then what? I am talking about to the point she start whaling at you. If you are not good in grappling, then what? Run?

In this modern days of equality, who's to say men should not fight back if a woman whaling at you, that you should run?

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
But is she is swinging at you, then what?
What part of 'it depends on the circumstances' is unclear?
I am talking about to the point she start whaling at you. If you are not good in grappling, then what? Run?
In this modern days of equality, who's to say men should not fight back if a woman whaling at you, that you should run?
There are lots of options. I get that you don't understand them all, but others do. That might be related to the fact that you don't really have any training or experience.

gerardfoy50

Green Belt
Reaction score

There are lots of options. I get that you don't understand them all, but others do. That might be related to the fact that you don't really have any training or experience.
I think part of the problem is that men, especially gentlemen automatically view women as less of a threat in any given circumstance then men. My friend had a very small fat woman in her 40s start on him. He was relaxed, then she picked up a stone and threw it at his leg, he did nothing next stone hit his back, then she picked a good sized one and aimed right at his head. He spun her round and put her in a rear naked cans told her to drop it which she did, soon as he let go she stuck her car keys in his head. How do you think that situation would have played out if the aggressor was a guy.

Ivan

Black Belt
Reaction score
Would you hit a woman who was unarmed but attacking you?
She may be unarmed, but a threat is a threat. It also depends on the situation and how sudden it happens.

For example, I approached a girl on a group chat for a university project and we met up to do some group work together. However, she was one of those types of girls who cannot control themselves and thinks her small size is an excuse to hit bigger and larger men when they annoy her - I wouldn't annoy her in a mean way, but I'd make jokes and she hit me while laughing. However, this slowly escalated to her full-on stamping on me whilst I was sitting down on a couch.

At one point, I moved away and we both did an online quiz separately as part of our module. It took about 30 minutes for us to finish it, and I had finished first and I was sitting down on the other side of the couch minding my business on my phone. Out of nowhere with no provocation, she threw a right cross straight at my chin whilst I was looking at my phone - it was a hard punch and I could feel my brain rock in my head. Before I even knew what was going on I had grabbed her by the collar and said "If you do that again I will knock you the love out".

I felt extremely bad after she ran away scared, but my point is that in any situation, your reaction won't depend on what your body or mind perceives as a threat. In a fight, or when there is a sudden attack, the gender, and ability of your opponent are under no consideration - your choice and your reaction are made before you consciously even realize that there was a choice in the first place.

OP
J

Jared Traveler

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
She may be unarmed, but a threat is a threat. It also depends on the situation and how sudden it happens.

For example, I approached a girl on a group chat for a university project and we met up to do some group work together. However, she was one of those types of girls who cannot control themselves and thinks her small size is an excuse to hit bigger and larger men when they annoy her - I wouldn't annoy her in a mean way, but I'd make jokes and she hit me while laughing. However, this slowly escalated to her full-on stamping on me whilst I was sitting down on a couch.

At one point, I moved away and we both did an online quiz separately as part of our module. It took about 30 minutes for us to finish it, and I had finished first and I was sitting down on the other side of the couch minding my business on my phone. Out of nowhere with no provocation, she threw a right cross straight at my chin whilst I was looking at my phone - it was a hard punch and I could feel my brain rock in my head. Before I even knew what was going on I had grabbed her by the collar and said "If you do that again I will knock you the love out".

I felt extremely bad after she ran away scared, but my point is that in any situation, your reaction won't depend on what your body or mind perceives as a threat. In a fight, or when there is a sudden attack, the gender, and ability of your opponent are under no consideration - your choice and your reaction are made before you consciously even realize that there was a choice in the first place.
I think you make great points. However while many people experience unconscious reactions during sudden stressful events, the other thing to know is that there is another way. A way where you remain consciously mentally in control at all times.

Ivan

Black Belt
Reaction score
I think you make great points. However while many people experience unconscious reactions during sudden stressful events, the other thing to know is that there is another way. A way where you remain consciously mentally in control at all times.
I don't believe so. If you're consciously thinking during a fight, you're not fighting at your best.

Latest Discussions