Any California Law Enforcement People out there?

KenpoTex

Senior Master
Reaction score
No, I think it's still ok to carry knives with blades up to 3", the problem comes if you use it as a weapon. Oh, and any switchblade is strictly taboo.

umm...5-0 Kenpo posted some of the knife laws above, including a chapter number for further definitions. I highly recommend you check that for the information you need.

If the deuputy told you that you can't carry knives (at all) then he was mistaken (unfortunately, this is often the case when trying to get advice on weapons from LEOs).

Another good resource would be the Dog Brothers Martial Arts forum as they are based out of CA

KenpoTex

Senior Master
Reaction score
... I walked into a gun store and bought a russian made SKS semi-automatic rifle. These fire the same rounds as an AK-47 and are very similar in design, they just don't have a full auto setting like the AK.
The AK-variants you can buy in the USA don't (or at least shouldn't) have a full-auto option unless they're an NFA weapon

Empty Hands

Senior Master
Reaction score
5-0 Kenpo posted some of the knife laws above, including a chapter number for further definitions. I highly recommend you check that for the information you need.

If the deuputy told you that you can't carry knives (at all) then he was mistaken

I have done some googling on this subject, and found other law citations which seem to prohibit carrying knives for defense at all. The situation is not clear for someone without in-depth knowledge. Yet, if you do defend yourself, ignorance of the law is no excuse, eh? What a ridiculous state of affairs.

OP
allenjp

allenjp

Brown Belt
Reaction score
umm...5-0 Kenpo posted some of the knife laws above, including a chapter number for further definitions. I highly recommend you check that for the information you need.

If the deuputy told you that you can't carry knives (at all) then he was mistaken (unfortunately, this is often the case when trying to get advice on weapons from LEOs).

Another good resource would be the Dog Brothers Martial Arts forum as they are based out of CA

I didn't say he told me that you can't carry knives at all. What I said was he told me that you cannot use said knife as a WEAPON, whether offensive or defensive. Many people carry knives as tools, there is no problem with that as long as it meets the laws requirements (not a dirk or dagger, which is a fixed blade, or a switch blade, and with a blade 3" or shorter) the problem is in using it as a weapon. Just what he said. The deputy I talked to happens to be very much in favor of the average citizen defending themself. He is pro concealed carry in fact. I will check out Dog Brothers, thanks.

7starmarc

Green Belt
Reaction score
I don't believe that there is a general length limit on blades in Calif, particularly as it pertains to concealed folders. The only limit that I've seen in my scanning of the current laws is that related to switchblades and related knives (i.e. gravity operated, flip-opening, etc.), which is under 2". Could be wrong, but that was my understanding of the statutes.

BTW, I never cease to be amazed at the inclusion of butterfly/balisong knives in the switchblade category. They require more skill and (on average) are slower to deploy than many of today's locking blades.

OP
allenjp

allenjp

Brown Belt
Reaction score
I have done some googling on this subject, and found other law citations which seem to prohibit carrying knives for defense at all. The situation is not clear for someone without in-depth knowledge. Yet, if you do defend yourself, ignorance of the law is no excuse, eh? What a ridiculous state of affairs.

This is just one of the many problems with california weapons and self defense laws. Asside from being nonsensical, they are not clear at all...to anyone, even judges have problems interpreting them. That is precisely why I started this thread; to get others' opinions, especially those of the people that are deciding whether or not to arrest someone after an altercation.

Hawke

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
California self defense laws concerning weapons varies from county to county.

The knife laws are stricter in Los Angeles than the California state law.

Check with your local defense attorney.

OP
allenjp

allenjp

Brown Belt
Reaction score
Legal Executive On board...Never mind, I should've done some homework first before post...sorry!

Uhh...no, just in case you're not joking it stands for Law Enforcement Officers.

BTW, I live in Escondido, but I say San Diego because it is likely no one across the country or internationally knows where Escondido is. You may want to do the same, despite it's inherent beauty I'm sure Chula Vista doen't show up on any major maps lol!