Would Martial Arts created by women fundamentally be better than those created by men?

Ivan

Black Belt
Reaction score
The only martial art I know of that originated from a woman is Wing Chun, according to a documentary by the History Channel I watched a while ago.
But I have been thinking during my hiatus from posting here. Would martial arts founded by women be more efficient for their intended purpose due to women not being able to rely on physical strength as much as men can?
By this, I mean that, biologically, men have sturdier frames and bigger physical prowess. Therefore, in order to be able to overcome this in a fight, logically (as shown by almost every martial style out there) technique steps in. But when you dissect the theory behind Wing Chun, the technique and knowledge and science present within it far outweighs that of any other styles that I am aware of. What are your thoughts on this?
Can you think of any martial arts that are more technical than Wing Chun?

Of course, I know many people call Wing Chun into question as it might not be applicable - but is this an inherent problem in the wushu style itself, or the in way in which it is taught?

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
No. You would still need to look at the results.

It is a bit like suggesting women's deodorant is more effective than mens.

skribs

Grandmaster
Reaction score
The only martial art I know of that originated from a woman is Wing Chun, according to a documentary by the History Channel I watched a while ago.
But I have been thinking during my hiatus from posting here. Would martial arts founded by women be more efficient for their intended purpose due to women not being able to rely on physical strength as much as men can?
By this, I mean that, biologically, men have sturdier frames and bigger physical prowess. Therefore, in order to be able to overcome this in a fight, logically (as shown by almost every martial style out there) technique steps in. But when you dissect the theory behind Wing Chun, the technique and knowledge and science present within it far outweighs that of any other styles that I am aware of. What are your thoughts on this?

Of course, I know many people call Wing Chun into question as it might not be applicable - but is this an inherent problem in the wushu style itself, or the in way in which it is taught?

I think there's a big QC issue with Wing Chun, in that a lot of schools don't teach how to deliver the techniques with any amount of power.

I don't think it's possible to make most martial arts more fundamentally sound than they already are.

dvcochran

Grandmaster
Reaction score

I tend to agree with the other no posts. However, I suspect you are going somewhere with your frame of reasoning. What am I missing?

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
I tend to agree with the other no posts. However, I suspect you are going somewhere with your frame of reasoning. What am I missing?

I assume the frame of reasoning works like this if a woman designed wing chun to fight a man. Then I should be able to use it to take on a gorilla.

Which would in theory make it awesome.

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score

its the over technical nature that makes some MA suspect in the first place, a few good techniques are preferable to a few good techniques lost in a haze of nonsense

the difference in size and strength between males and females ranges between enormous and not very much, dependent on the people involved, but then the size and strength difference between males has a very wide range as well

as most people can be considerably stronger than they are, its then a personal choice if you want to close or or even over take the gap as a strategy rather than buy into to fantasy techniques

D

Deleted member 39746

They would only be diffrent, nothing would prelude it being better or worse off. As it would be made to suit the female anatomy and physical structure etc.

I would say, you might be able to say it is "better", down to what i think would be enthsisied is not fighting and if you ned to fight do it as fast and brutally as possible and strike only weak points.

Actually, just thought about female street fights and the like. I had not the modern world in my head when writing some of this. So to cover this, will the style/art be for predatory violence? (male and female) or social violence? (female maily) that would dicatate what would be done in it. and just to cover the high note and obvious point, females dont usually fight males, they generally rely on the culture prohibiting the male from hitting them, or having a male there as "muscle" EXEPTIONS exist, thats just the rule. Second to that, weapons should be used as equalasors, that goes with anyone.

I would say if a female fights tradtioanlly like a male would, it would throw a curve ball as it would be diffrent from what is present in their social fighting arena. But anyway, fundemntally it would just be diffrent to account for their anatomy and potetional short comings.

Addendum: the strikethough is a tangent i wrote i felt like keeping in my post, it is used as a strikethrough should be, its a removal that you still can read.

The strikethrough is NOT a final draft.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
They would only be diffrent, nothing would prelude it being better or worse off. As it would be made to suit the female anatomy and physical structure etc.

You can't assume an art made by a woman was just for women.

females dont usually fight males, they generally rely on the culture prohibiting the male from hitting them

I think you may have to rethink that and look at just how many women around the world are attacked by men.
British family savagely attacked by thugs in Hua Hin

D

Deleted member 39746

You can't assume an art made by a woman was just for women.

I think you may have to rethink that and look at just how many women around the world are attacked by men.
British family savagely attacked by thugs in Hua Hin

My statement was if the creator would be a female it would be using their body as the template, so it wont be optimised for males, or even people not in their sort of dimensions and physical capability range. Correction, thats a clarification of what i meant to write if it wasnt clear.

Second point, i meant in social violence and western countries. It is pretty factual that in a lot of countries it is taboo for a male to hit a female. To militant ends they wont even defend themselves against a predatory attack.

Exeptions exist though like i said.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
My statement was if the creator would be a female it would be using their body as the template, so it wont be optimised for males, or even people not in their sort of dimensions and physical capability range.

If the 'creator' is experienced and knowledgeable enough to create a style in the first place I don't think they would be restricted to making it fit just them. You make it sound like some random woman who you assume is mall and light just came up with a martial art just like that, which is not a reasonable assumption.
We don't even know if it was created by a woman, or one man or even a committee, it's all myth and supposition.

It is pretty factual that in a lot of countries it is taboo for a male to hit a female. To militant ends they wont even defend themselves against a predatory attack.

Things are either factual or not factual, they can't be 'pretty factual', I have no idea what the second sentence means at all.

D

Deleted member 39746

We don't even know if it was created by a woman, or one man or even a committee, it's all myth and supposition.

We arent discussing a in existance martial art? I am not citing one, nor was i refering to wing chun. I was literally going off if a female and only a female, or group of females makes one. I at no point mentioned wing chun or any actual martial art in this thread.

You make it sound like some random woman who you assume is mall and light just came up with a martial art just like that, which is not a reasonable assumption.

Not really, as i have a similar view to if a male makes one it will be optimised for males, for a female to learn from a male they have to adapt some of it, and vice versa. You build also influences this as well, if somone of a diffrent build makes one, it will be optimised more for their build. Now if we wernt a sexually dimorphic species, then sex wouldnt influnece this at all.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I was literally going off if a female and only a female, or group of females makes one.

Perhaps when you start training a martial art you would have a valid opinion.

D

Deleted member 39746

Perhaps when you start training a martial art you would have a valid opinion.

Perhaps when you can come up with a good insult, you will win a argument. Nice try though. :D

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Perhaps when you can come up with a good insult, you will win a argument. Nice try though. :D

That wasn't an insult, it was a statement of fact. How can you extrapolate on the mechanics of creating a martial art when you don't do any martial arts?

D

Deleted member 39746

That wasn't an insult, it was a statement of fact. How can you extrapolate on the mechanics of creating a martial art when you don't do any martial arts?

What i wrote and the points made are above, that is my argument. Your "Statment of fact" has no relivence here. To which i have this as a reply:

Are you telling me the Human Male and Female body is identical? And are you also telling me every human is indentical in both build and ability?

If you are not, then there is your answer for how i can comment on mechanics as the mechanics will inhernetly be diffrent to everyone down to dimporphisim in our species.

Secondly, you do not need "to do any martial arts" to create one. At least in the way it is used here. Given all systems etc stemmed from nothingness and just human instinct and are codifications of information that said person(s) has(/have) found while doing/observing violence. To which there are many avenues for it and if we are to be really technical any activity you do with the intention of aiding or helping you fight, is martial or "training" for it. Even if you dont practice strikes etc.

Anyway, before i go on a 4 paragraph tangent, the second point isnt fully relivent to the thread, the full history and how to make fighting sytems seems irrelivent to if it would be better if a female made it than a male. Or the secondary topic of wing chun history. If you wish to argue about the history of human violence and systems for fighting and the details for how to make them and pros and cons, i will gladly do it in a thread designated for such a topic.

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
What i wrote and the points made are above, that is my argument. Your "Statment of fact" has no relivence here. To which i have this as a reply:

Are you telling me the Human Male and Female body is identical? And are you also telling me every human is indentical in both build and ability?

If you are not, then there is your answer for how i can comment on mechanics as the mechanics will inhernetly be diffrent to everyone down to dimporphisim in our species.

Secondly, you do not need "to do any martial arts" to create one. At least in the way it is used here. Given all systems etc stemmed from nothingness and just human instinct and are codifications of information that said person(s) has(/have) found while doing/observing violence. To which there are many avenues for it and if we are to be really technical any activity you do with the intention of aiding or helping you fight, is martial or "training" for it. Even if you dont practice strikes etc.

Anyway, before i go on a 4 paragraph tangent, the second point isnt fully relivent to the thread, the full history and how to make fighting sytems seems irrelivent to if it would be better if a female made it than a male. Or the secondary topic of wing chun history. If you wish to argue about the history of human violence and systems for fighting and the details for how to make them and pros and cons, i will gladly do it in a thread designated for such a topic.
theres a lot more in common between male and female than there are differences,

brain, check, skin check, bones check limbs check times 4

its follows that ma for each gender should have far more in common than differences, so much in common infact they will be very difficult to tell apart

D

Deleted member 39746

theres a lot more in common between male and female than there are differences,

brain, check, skin check, bones check limbs check times 4

its follows that ma for each gender should have far more in common than differences, so much in common infact they will be very difficult to tell apart

Diffrences are still there, and of those diffrences they do effect how you fight to some degree. And as stated, if we wernt a sexually dimorphic species, sex wouldnt be a factor here. But as we are, it is.

And you don't need to be able to swim to win a swimming race...….

Not if you are the only one with arms and legs there.

Latest Discussions