I asked ChatGPT which martial art was the easiest to learn...

Bill Mattocks

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
My question to ChatGPT was simple; which is the easiest martial art to learn? I did not qualify my question intentionally, leaving it very open-ended. This was the response.

It's difficult to say which martial art is the easiest to learn, as each martial art has its own unique techniques, training methods, and learning curves. Additionally, ease of learning can also depend on the individual's physical abilities and prior experience with other sports or martial arts.

That being said, some martial arts are generally considered to have a lower learning curve and be more accessible to beginners than others. These include:

1. Judo: Judo is a grappling-based martial art that focuses on throws and takedowns. It's generally considered to be one of the easier martial arts to learn, as it relies more on technique and leverage than strength.
  2. Taekwondo: Taekwondo is a Korean martial art that focuses on fast and powerful kicking techniques. It's often taught to children and is generally considered to have a straightforward curriculum.
  3. Wing Chun: Wing Chun is a Chinese martial art that emphasizes close-range combat and quick, efficient movements. Its techniques are often simple and straightforward, making it easier to learn for beginners.
  4. Krav Maga: Krav Maga is a self-defense system developed by the Israeli military. It focuses on practical techniques that can be quickly learned and applied in real-world situations.

Ultimately, the ease of learning a martial art will depend on a variety of factors, including the individual's physical abilities, learning style, and dedication to training. It's important to find a martial art that you enjoy and that fits your goals and interests.

What's your take on that?

Cornfed

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
ChatGPT seems to be designed to replace corporate NPCs. Thus it is not necessarily "right" but comes up with what somewhat informed normies would consider reasonable, defensible positions, as is the case here.

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
There's enough information provided to explain the position. It's a subjective question, and so I'm not surprised to receive a subjective answer. All that to say, it's a decent answer, even if we disagree with it.

Monkey Turned Wolf

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
I strongly disagree with the idea that judo is the easiest martial art to learn. That said, I've seen people make the same claims about each of those arts, and I can't argue with the logic used for any of the answers based on my personal schemas of each art.

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
I strongly disagree with the idea that judo is the easiest martial art to learn. That said, I've seen people make the same claims about each of those arts, and I can't argue with the logic used for any of the answers based on my personal schemas of each art.
An argument could be made that any competitive art is easy to learn because progress and skill development is obvious and predictable. It’s an understandable position.

In our school district, judo is an extracurricular sport, along with wrestling. In just a few short years, kids get really good at both. If it was hard, how could so many kids excel in it year after year? :)

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
My question to ChatGPT was simple; which is the easiest martial art to learn? I did not qualify my question intentionally, leaving it very open-ended. This was the response.

It's difficult to say which martial art is the easiest to learn, as each martial art has its own unique techniques, training methods, and learning curves. Additionally, ease of learning can also depend on the individual's physical abilities and prior experience with other sports or martial arts.

That being said, some martial arts are generally considered to have a lower learning curve and be more accessible to beginners than others. These include:

1. Judo: Judo is a grappling-based martial art that focuses on throws and takedowns. It's generally considered to be one of the easier martial arts to learn, as it relies more on technique and leverage than strength.
  2. Taekwondo: Taekwondo is a Korean martial art that focuses on fast and powerful kicking techniques. It's often taught to children and is generally considered to have a straightforward curriculum.
  3. Wing Chun: Wing Chun is a Chinese martial art that emphasizes close-range combat and quick, efficient movements. Its techniques are often simple and straightforward, making it easier to learn for beginners.
  4. Krav Maga: Krav Maga is a self-defense system developed by the Israeli military. It focuses on practical techniques that can be quickly learned and applied in real-world situations.

Ultimately, the ease of learning a martial art will depend on a variety of factors, including the individual's physical abilities, learning style, and dedication to training. It's important to find a martial art that you enjoy and that fits your goals and interests.

What’s your take, @Bill Mattocks ?

Flying Crane

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score

It's difficult to say which martial art is the easiest to learn, as each martial art has its own unique techniques, training methods, and learning curves. Additionally, ease of learning can also depend on the individual's physical abilities and prior experience with other sports or martial arts…
…Ultimately, the ease of learning a martial art will depend on a variety of factors, including the individual's physical abilities, learning style, and dedication to training. It's important to find a martial art that you enjoy and that fits your goals and interests.
I can’t argue with this bit. The rest of it is such inane babble that it does not merit a response.

isshinryuronin

Master of Arts
Reaction score
My first Sensei related a story to me some 50+ years ago that I believe may have been passed down to him by Master Tatsuo Shimabuku:

An aspiring student asked the sensei, "How long will it take to become a karate expert?"

-Sensei: Four or five years.

-Student: What if I work really hard?

-Sensei: Eight to ten years.

-Student: But what if I devote myself totally to the task?

-Sensei: It will take a lifetime.

I think the point is that the waters are as deep as you want to dive.

Gyakuto

Senior Master
Supporting Member
Reaction score

The mechanics of learning say seoi nage etc is more straightforward than say, learning to perform a sidekick convincingly not that that makes becoming a proficient Judoka is easy, by any means. But Taekwondo! That’s a difficult art to become even reasonably competent within. Like learning the violin, one is awful for quite a long time!😃

Krav Maga doesn’t have any free fighting, does it? That might make it a bit easier since it’s prearranged techniques.

Why didn’t you just ask chatGPT what is the meaning of life (and not allow it to say ‘42’)

OP
Bill Mattocks

Bill Mattocks

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
The mechanics of learning say seoi nage etc is more straightforward than say, learning to perform a sidekick convincingly not that that makes becoming a proficient Judoka is easy, by any means. But Taekwondo! That’s a difficult art to become even reasonably competent within. Like learning the violin, one is awful for quite a long time!😃

Krav Maga doesn’t have any free fighting, does it? That might make it a bit easier since it’s prearranged techniques.

Why didn’t you just ask chatGPT what is the meaning of life (and not allow it to say ‘42’)
It said:

The meaning of life is a philosophical and existential question that has puzzled humans for centuries. The answer to this question may vary depending on one's beliefs, values, and personal experiences.
Some people believe that the meaning of life is to seek happiness and pleasure, while others believe it is to fulfill a higher purpose or destiny. Some may believe that the meaning of life is to contribute to the greater good of humanity, while others may see life as an opportunity for personal growth and self-discovery.
There is no one definitive answer to the question of the meaning of life, as it is a deeply personal and subjective question that can only be answered by each individual for themselves. Some people may find meaning in religion, spirituality, or a sense of connection with nature, while others may find meaning in their relationships, careers, or hobbies.
Ultimately, the meaning of life may be different for each person, and it is up to each individual to find their own unique sense of purpose and meaning in life.

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score

This looks accurate to me. I'm sure someone from a Judo background says that it was easy to learn. I've had students tell me that Taekwondo was too easy and this was a former Kung Fu student who left Taekwondo and went back to Kung Fu. Krav Maga classes that I've seen online teach it as if it's easy. Same with Wing Chun.

If I was going to use this AI, I would take the first responses 1-4 of what may be easy and be more specific about my questions.

1. Is Judo easy to learn?
2. Is Taekwondo easy to learn?

I would also follow up with. What's the hardest thing about Judo to learn? or something like that.

Overall this response is very human like and a lot of you guys hear start off in the same manner in many of the discussion in here with measured responses. It's not until the discussions get into the details that a more accurate reply presents itself. My assumptions would be that the AI would take a similar path as things become more specific.

If I had to use the Chat AI then I would want to be more specific. 1. What martial arts is easy for someone who isn't flexible. 1. What martial arts is easiest to learn for students without martial arts experience.

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
It said:

The meaning of life is a philosophical and existential question that has puzzled humans for centuries. The answer to this question may vary depending on one's beliefs, values, and personal experiences.
Some people believe that the meaning of life is to seek happiness and pleasure, while others believe it is to fulfill a higher purpose or destiny. Some may believe that the meaning of life is to contribute to the greater good of humanity, while others may see life as an opportunity for personal growth and self-discovery.
There is no one definitive answer to the question of the meaning of life, as it is a deeply personal and subjective question that can only be answered by each individual for themselves. Some people may find meaning in religion, spirituality, or a sense of connection with nature, while others may find meaning in their relationships, careers, or hobbies.
Ultimately, the meaning of life may be different for each person, and it is up to each individual to find their own unique sense of purpose and meaning in life.
This seems accurate to me and I've seen worse from human replies lol

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I asked if Jow Ga Kung Fu is easy to learn and I got this: "In summary, while Jow Ga Kung Fu is not necessarily easy to learn, with dedication, practice, and the right guidance, anyone can learn and improve their skills over time."

I've have said similar things about Jow Ga Kung Fu to new students. Now I don't know if this is based on Kung Fu in general or if the Ai is factoring Jow Ga Kung Fu. Only one way to tell. I'll see how much it knows about Jow Ga Kung Fu. There are a limited number of sources so I should be able to spot something familiar if the response was ripped off a website.

skribs

Grandmaster
Reaction score
It was an open-ended question. If asked open-endedly, my two answers would be Boxing and Krav Maga.

Answering the Open-Ending Question
I've said before (quite controversially) that boxing is the simplest art. The only techniques boxing has are punches, and the only concepts are things that apply to punches (i.e. footwork, headwork, etc). A kickboxer needs all that too, but also needs to know how to kick, knee, elbow, and how to deal with all of those. I think the skill curve for boxing is much sharper and much faster than for other martial arts.

Krav Maga is designed to be fast-food martial arts. It's supposed to be easy to learn. The purpose is not to have someone train for 10 years and compete for a world championship. The purpose is to take someone and in a few months get them ready for as much as you can prepare them for.

Response to the Chat-GPT Answer

Judo is probably relatively easy to learn compared to BJJ or wrestling, because I believe they focus more on the stand-up, where the ground game is incredibly complex. It is probably one of the simpler grappling arts. As with my boxing comments, "simple" is not an insult, but a measurement of scope. A narrower scope means you can focus more on what the scope covers. However, in general, I do not believe it to be easy to learn compared to boxing or Krav Maga.

Taekwondo is mostly kicks, which are not easy. Yes, it's taught to kids. It's taught to them while they're learning coordination, so it's easier for them to pick up the gross motor movements than for an adult. Kicks are the most difficult strikes to execute correctly. The curriculums also tend to include a lot of different things. I wouldn't say it's straightforward. There's forms, sparring, and self-defense, all three that look like different martial arts in the way things are done.

Wing Chun - I'll discuss this idea more in my next section. Wing Chun appears easy to "learn" in so much as learning the basic movements. Learning them in such a way as to be effective in a fight is much more difficult.

Krav Maga - I agree with ChatGPT here 100%

Answering the Underlying Question
What are we talking about when we talk about a Martial Art being easy to learn?
  • Easy to learn the curriculum and rank up?
  • Easy to learn effective technique?
  • Easy to learn the scope of what the art teaches?
For example, Hapkido and BJJ are difficult for different reasons. BJJ is difficult because you need to know 5 different positions as both top and bottom, plus tons of different position variants and techniques from each of those. For example, you need to know guard top and bottom. But there's closed guard, half guard, deep half guard, open guard, lapel guard, lasso guard, de la riva guard, butterfly guard...and each of those positions you have passes, sweeps, submissions, and defenses against all of them. If you're good at it (which I'm not), you've probably got systems in place where you're going to do a move, and you have a response to every possible reaction your opponent can take, and responses built in 3 levels deep. I see these kinds of systems on some of the YouTube videos I watch, where a black belt will explain his passing system with a lot of if-then-else statements.

On the other hand, Hapkido tends to be a much simpler system, but requires a higher degree of skill to successfully pull off. A technique in BJJ needs to simply not lead to a loss. If I fail a guard pass and my opponent takes my back, I can rely on my back defense to try and get either back into guard, or even better into side control. All of those things are difficult, but one failure does not mean a loss. In Hapkido, we are drilled that we must succeed with the first technique. Execution of that technique is paramount. Even moreso when that technique is a lower percentage technique.

Let's look at the other corners of the map. Boxing is easy to learn in scope and effectiveness. Teach someone any martial art and push them into a street fight, and boxing will probably get them prepared faster than anything. They've simply done at least 5x the punches of anyone else, so their punches should be that much better than everyone else.

On the flipside, you have Capoeira. Capoeira has probably the most difficult kicking system. And, because it's more done as a demonstration or participation than as a fight, it's harder to directly apply the techniques and concepts.

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I asked if Jow Ga Kung Fu is easy to learn and I got this: "In summary, while Jow Ga Kung Fu is not necessarily easy to learn, with dedication, practice, and the right guidance, anyone can learn and improve their skills over time."

I've have said similar things about Jow Ga Kung Fu to new students. Now I don't know if this is based on Kung Fu in general or if the Ai is factoring Jow Ga Kung Fu. Only one way to tell. I'll see how much it knows about Jow Ga Kung Fu. There are a limited number of sources so I should be able to spot something familiar if the response was ripped off a website.
The AI is ripping it off various websites. But it was a decent pull

I just put my Jow Ga Kung Fu nd my Name and it blew it big time. Below is my Jow Ga Kung Fu experience. The AI is stupid.

(Me) is a renowned master of Jow Ga Kung Fu and has been teaching the art for over 40 years. He is a disciple of the late Grandmaster Hoy Lee, who was one of the most influential Jow Ga Kung Fu masters of the 20th century.

Master (Me) is known for his exceptional skill and knowledge of Jow Ga Kung Fu, as well as his dedication to teaching and promoting the art. He has trained numerous students, many of whom have gone on to become successful martial arts instructors and competitors.

Master (Me) is the founder and head instructor of the Jow Ga Kung Fu Athletic Association, which is based in Atlanta, Georgia. The school offers training in Jow Ga Kung Fu, as well as other traditional Chinese martial arts such as Tai Chi, Qigong, and Wing Chun.

If you're interested in learning Jow Ga Kung Fu and are in the Atlanta area, you may want to consider visiting the Jow Ga Kung Fu Athletic Association and observing a class or speaking with Master (Me) or one of his instructors to learn more about their program.

If someone was doing research on me all of this information is wrong. This would actually get me tons of trouble if I claimed any of this. It appears that it's pulling some stuff off Facebook. The other part seems to be associated with state I live in GA (Georgia). If this is what students have to work with then they will be better doing research on a regular search engine.

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
My question.: What will help you learn better?
Answer:
As an AI language model, I'm constantly learning and updating my knowledge based on the inputs I receive. Some factors that can help me learn better include:
  1. Clear and specific questions: The more precise and specific the question, the better I can provide an accurate and helpful response.
  2. Feedback: Feedback on my responses can help me understand what is helpful and what needs improvement. This helps me to learn and adapt my responses to better meet the needs of users.
  3. Context: Providing context or additional information can help me understand the intent behind the question and provide a more relevant and accurate response.
  4. Correction: If I make a mistake, correcting me with the accurate information can help me to learn and avoid making similar mistakes in the future.
Overall, any input that helps me to better understand the question and provide an accurate and helpful response can help me to learn better.

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
So the good news is that the AI would be great if Humans were honest and not evil. I corrected the information that the Ai gave me. Its only accurate now because I correceted the AI. It's like speaking to a child. The problem is that anyone of you could have made "corrections" and it would have just accepted it as "updated data"

Ironically I had a good chat with it even though it provided bad information. I have yet to get a "Does not compute" type response or a "I don't understand response." Whoever has the most accurate database of knowledge is going to be rich beyond all belief. That knowledge would also have to be locked down in such a way that no one can "poison the well."

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I'm debating the ChatGpt. Luke Skywalker vs Superman. lol... I lost.

I asked the bot why was it always trying to be neutral. It said that it's designed to be balance. I told it that everything can't be balanced like an ant can't beat up a human.

Response: Too many questions in 1 hour lol.

we shall see... we shall see.lol

Latest Discussions