wieght lifting and the neck

KennethKu

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Originally posted by 7starmantis

Actually, cutting fat can be done with weightlifting, therefore toneing the muscles. My partner is a personal trainer and a PT, we have been debating this, his health knowledge and my medical knowledge, in actuallity, tone can be acheived quickest through weightlifting, asthetic excersize and diet. Not forgetting the weightlifting though. Not powerlifting, or bodybuilding but a regimented serious program including lifting.
7sm

Correct me if I am wrong, but fat needs oxygen to burn. In order to burn fat, you would need 20-30 minutes of continuous aerobic activity that involves the large muscle groups.

A recommended plan is an aerobic exercise, a nutrition program (high protein, low carb, low fat, low cal), and a moderate repetition range (8-12 reps) with a progressively heavier weight . The result is accelerated fat loss with a toning effect.

That is the general idea.

OP
M

muayThaiPerson

right, wieght lifting does absolutley no cutting. look, you can do 1000 crunches and not see it because theres fat. but if u do none but have little fat then its visible

OP
M

MartialArtist

Actually, cutting fat can be done with weightlifting, therefore toneing the muscles. My partner is a personal trainer and a PT, we have been debating this, his health knowledge and my medical knowledge, in actuallity, tone can be acheived quickest through weightlifting, asthetic excersize and diet. Not forgetting the weightlifting though. Not powerlifting, or bodybuilding but a regimented serious program including lifting.

7sm
Weight lifting does help you lose weight. It speeds up your metabolism.

However, doing cardio and weight lifting at the same time will hurt your gains.

OP
M

MartialArtist

For strength or tone issues, I would recomend as little rest as possible. high reps with lower weight and go straight from machine to machine or excersise to excersise. That is the program we have our tranors run, seems to work very well with great and quick results. It has to be seriously adheared to though or it doesn't work well.

7sm
I disagree.

For mass, try to get at least 1 minute or so. For strength, more than a minute. The reason is bodybuilders go for a "pump" which is just blood flowing in the muscle allowing it to grow larger. The more rest you have, the less blood can really flow (as a result of lower reps and more rest) so you can get some strength with it.

I would also stay away from machines. Some machines are necessary, but stick to freeweights. They get you stronger, bigger, faster while machines really don't do much.

What you're talking about 7star is circuit training. The purpose of circuit training is not really to get mass or strength but try to add an aerobic feel to your training program.

Muaythai, what is your training split?

7starmantis

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Thats exactly what I'm talking about MartialArtist, I was responding to the question of tone, not gain, or mass. Muscle by itslef burns fat sitting idle. Tone is acheived by the balance of lean muscle and asthetic excersise. We don't have to agree, but medically this is what is accepted as fact, at least by the American Society of Clinical Pathologist. Thats who I work with. I guess we are getting confused on what I'm saying, I'm not saying that lifting is actually "toning" the muscles, the muscles themselves are incabable of changing composition, the tone look we are talking about is achieved by illiminated the fat between the muscles, this is done by diet, and asthetic exersise, but to excentuate the tone lok and to speed the process, "circuit" type lifting will increase the process of toning.

7sm

OP
M

muayThaiPerson

However, doing cardio and weight lifting at the same time will hurt your gains.

how do u mean?

to martialartist:
i do 15 reps of 15lb and 10 reps of 20lb for biceps. 10 lbs triceps. 115 lb bench press. 7.5 lb flies. 30-40 lb shoulders. 200 crunches.
7 sets of 20 push ups

Latest Discussions